Flaring and in pain :(

Options
tabi26
tabi26 Posts: 535 Member
Hi all, I was diagnosed with Crohns about three years ago, and since then I've had two flare ups. One two years ago and one now, this flare has been the worst! Started in December, was put on prednisone, came off the prednisone last Friday and was sick again by Tuesday :(. My dr will no longer give me the pred as he figures it won't be long and I'll be diabetic from it, so now I'm taking buscopan, Tylenol 3 and asacol. Has anyone here taken that combination before? Has it worked? I'm in so much pain I threw up yesterday just from the pain (maybe TMI but oh well lol). I'm wondering also if anyone has tried percocet? Maybe this will better help me? I've lost 4 pounds this week (not that I'm complaining, but it sure isn't worth the pain) I know that's unhealthy weight loss for since I'm within 11 pounds of my goal weight. I just want to feel better!

Replies

• dahvishont02
    dahvishont02 Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    First let me say I am no doctor and am not offereing medical advice, just friendly suggestions. Can you tolerate liquids? I would step down to a clear liquid diet to give your bowels a little rest. Maybe 3 or 4 days. Then step up to a full liquid and see how you tolerate that. Make sure to take a multi since it doesn't sound like you are eating too much. I tolerare liquid multi vitamins way better than pills. Depending on where your Crohn's is, liquids are absorbed a little better.

The Asacol works directly in the intestines to relieve the inflammation on site. That is why you may see the red skin in your bowel movements. The buscopan is typically used for IBS for cramps and spasms. I never really heard if it being used for IBD alone. Do you have a Colitis/Croh's combo? The only time I was on spasm meds is when I was being misdiagnosed with IBS. The tylenol 3 as you know is supposed to be for pain. I would venture to say you are on only 1 med for your Crohn's. I AM NO DOCTOR, but it sounds like you might need a new one before you end up with another surgery. Mistreatment is how I ended up having my 1st surgery.

My second flare in 2008, I was on asacol and mercaptopurine.I am only on Mercaptopurine right now, which is an immunosuppressant. I am also on Phenegran as needed for nausea. My dad has been on azathiopurine and allopurinol combos, currently he is not on anything. All of those drugs basically work the same in trying to quiet the immune system.

Please get a second opinion. I don't know your medical history but from my experience with Crohn's you still have time to flip this all around before a hospital stay.
  • tabi26
    tabi26 Posts: 535 Member
    Options
    Thanks, I spoke with my dr yesterday and he's going to contact my gastro and see what else they can do without going back to the pred. Funny though, last night I was in pain, but not nearly as bad as every other day, and this morning I've so far tolerated a bite of a banana and a glass of milk....which lately, any morsel of food has been sending me immediately into pain.

Waiting on th dr to call back and see what the new plan is! I'll be mentioning my new almost pain free state as well lol.
  • jnpgrad1
    jnpgrad1 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    There is something called Entocort (generic name budesonide} that is also a steroid but supposed to be less harsh than prednisone. Maybe thats an option for you.
  • Nerple
    Nerple Posts: 1,291 Member
    Options
    There is something called Entocort (generic name budesonide} that is also a steroid but supposed to be less harsh than prednisone. Maybe thats an option for you.

Budesonide is great when it works. It's not absorbed into the bloodstream so stays in the digestive trakc and thus really cuts down on side effects. The problem I found is it's not always as effective as prednisone. The one time I was on Budesonide, I flared back up again and was switched to prednisone a week later.
  • leilaphoenix
    leilaphoenix Posts: 839 Member
    Options
    Hi. I'm sorry your flaring. It sucks :(

Are you taking the max amount of pain killers. I know it sounds like a silly question but I often am in lots of pain but have not actually taken any pain relief. When I'm really bad, the only drugs that work for me are Azathioprine/Humira. Have you tried this or discussed with your consultant?

Leila (Crohns since 2008)
  • Nerple
    Options
    And as of tonight, I am back on Budesonide for 4-6 weeks.
  • jnpgrad1
    jnpgrad1 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    You in good/bad company nerple, I'm back on the steroid boat too... starting at 40 mg of pred... :-( hope you start feeling better soon. I sure am tired of this.
  • Nerple
    Options
    You in good/bad company nerple, I'm back on the steroid boat too... starting at 40 mg of pred... :-( hope you start feeling better soon. I sure am tired of this.

Goodluck!!! I am hoping I stay clear of Prednisone for some time, just got off it last month.
  • jimthix10
    Options
    On account of thinking that telling us you threw up may be TMI:

Don't give that a second thought. There is no such thing as TMI with the IBD crowd. We're all VERY used to poop, puke, mucus, blood, etc. :wink:

I myself am on Remicade and Pentasa. Thankfully I'm off the Prednisone for the time being.

Hang in there!
  • adairt1
    adairt1 Posts: 14
    Options
    I've been in a Colitis flare off and on for about 4 years. I've been taking Entocort, Lialda and Canasa for about 6 months. I finally got some relief last week when I did a juice fast for a day followed by my normal healthy diet. It seems that the days rest helped me out. I plan to do a days juice fast at least once or twice a month now to see if I can keep the flares in check. If not, the next step is Remicade.
  • nicbarnett
    Options
    Hi,

I was diagnosed with Crohns about 12 years ago and have had flare-ups of different degrees since. Although last summer had a bad one and was put back on the steriods for 4 months. I am in the UK and have not heard of Prednisone as here I have always been prescribed Budesonide and Pentasa. I am now only on the Pentasa and doing OK (until the next time).

I agree with a previous post as in the UK, they always advise a clear liquid diet to let your bowel rest for a few days and then slowly introduce other liquids like soup (but not creamy ones). On the post about drinking milk - this is one thing that the gastro docs in the UK will tell us Crohns sufferers to avoid - I only have a little in tea each day. Just a different perspective, I suppose.

Hope you get back to normal soon.

Nicola (Manchester, UK).
  • adairt1
    adairt1 Posts: 14
    Options
    Somehow, some way I am in remission! I have done nothing different except stay on the combo of meds I have been on for several months. I guess our bodies are weird like that!
  • straitcrzyMary
    straitcrzyMary Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    I have had Crohns Disease for over 20 years. I know what you are going thru. Has your doctor ever given you levsin that goes under the tongue. It helps with the pain. It dissolves quickly. I took steroids for over 10 years.

My Crohns has never gone into a full remission. I have had no surgeries. I have been taking Imuran and it does help.

I could not take any of the new stuff because I tested inactive positive for TB. I was treated with INC for one year. But can never take any of the new stuff because I could get TB. That is one thing you should have checked before taking any new treatments.