Share your story

emmab0902
emmab0902 Posts: 2,337 Member
I started running in September 2011 and very soon developed knee pain which later turned out to be largely due to my (expensive and recommended!) shoes.

In December 2011 I decided to try barefoot running, and all had been going great, until a few days after a 25 minute run my daughter gave me a foot rub and I nearly hit the roof when she touched the side of my foot! That was nearly two weeks ago and I hadn't run at all until today.

I have been doing irregular icing and taking NSAIDs infrequently. The pain is absent when I wear high heels to work, and returns first thing in the morning briefly.

Today I ran for 17 minutes and would rate the pain as 2/10 at most throughout the run. It possibly hit a 3.5 when I had finished running, so came home and had a 10 minute very cold foot bath.

I am very keen to run through this where possible, so am interested in "meeting" others who have had this condition and what has worked for others!

Replies

• I have just started running this year after a few weeks off over xmas period and having trouble mainly above my ankle about a quarter a way up. I had a bike accident 3 years ago and had damage to ligaments and still not fully recovered. If I stop running it takes time to get them stronger. I also wear heels for week and the seem fine unless I walk or run long distances in flat shoes.

I have been advised differently by two people. One telling me to wear trainer inserts and the other was my partner telling me to try running up hill on the tredmill until it is stronger again. I have chosen the 2nd option for now and it seems to stop burning as much after a while but its only been a week. I will give it another couple of weeks and if I dont see a difference will try the trainer inserts. My partner also tells me I do too much training and I should rest, but I will definately not be doing that.