Training the day after a (very) long run

Options
mikeyrp
mikeyrp Posts: 1,616 Member
Yesterday I ran 20.5 miles - today I feel pretty good but I have a slight discomfort around my left knee joint, and pretty tired around my thighs.

I'm thinking of doing weights tonight and then 15-20 minutes or so of running or elliptical just to loosen my legs up - good idea or likely to cause injury?

Replies

• Aperture_Science
    Aperture_Science Posts: 840 Member
    Options
    I think it depends upon the weights work you want to do. If that involves heavy leg work such as squats I would worry that you may not control the move as well as when rested and therefore cause injury (possibly lower back).

If on the other hand, you are talking about isolation exercises using macines or those working the upper body then you should be fine.

For the treadmill, you know your limits and failure is safe in this instance, you just switch the tready off.

After long runs (over 13miles) I will usually focus upon light cardio and stretches but it's a while since I was over 13m anyway.
  • BerryH
    BerryH Posts: 4,698 Member
    Options
    My running guru Coach Maggie says no pounding on cross-training days, so you'd be be OK with low-impact cardio, such as swimming, elliptical, rowing, walking etc.

I personally wouldn't weight train my lower body after my long run as increasing distance also causes muscle-fibre tears like weights.

Why not concentrate on your upper-body and do a weights-specific warm-up, i.e. going through the same exercises first with no or low weights.

Look after that knee! *stern look*
  • mikeyrp
    Options
    YES SIR (Salutes)
  • jenniebean1680
    jenniebean1680 Posts: 351 Member
    Options
    I struggle getting enough rest after long runs. Being a spinning instructor is to blame. That, and the timing.

I need a weekend day for long runs, especially in winter, and since I spin Sunday mornings, I go long on Saturdays. But I also teach Monday nights. So unless I put in for a sub in advance, I am not resting after my long runs until 3 days later (long run Sat, rest day Tues).

On the days between long run and rest day, I am crosstraining at least. Only spinning and probably one weights workout, if that.

Anyone think this is an issue I should worry about?
  • arc918
    arc918 Posts: 2,037 Member
    Options
    I almost always run the day after my long runs (and always the day before - important to learn to run well on tired legs).

Recovery runs work well for me. Pace is very modest. Often 1:00 - 1:30 minutes (per mile) slower than my long runs.
  • FoxyMcDeadlift
    FoxyMcDeadlift Posts: 771 Member
    Options
    Mondays i always run, i tend to go slightly slower, but im trying to get even slower like Arc says.

Monday nights, without fail is also shoulder day:

Overhead Press
    Weighted Chins
    Weighted Dips

Curiously, my heavy leg day is friday. I rest on running that day, but then do my weekend mileage which is always my most heavy days - no adverse effects yet
  • mikeyrp
    Options
    I did a row (15 mins) then the elliptical (30 mins) in the end - it did wonders for the aches I was suffering from.