Vegetarian Bodybuilders?

Options
Any Veggie Bodybuilders out there? Just thought I'd start a thread to chat about nutrition, programs, etc.

Replies

• _VoV
    _VoV Posts: 1,494 Member
    Options
    I'm not a bodybuilder, but I am interested in preserving/building more lean muscle. I'd be very interested in a thread, as you suggest.
  • Bentley2718
    Bentley2718 Posts: 1,690 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't call myself a bodybuilder, but I am a consistent weight-lifter (as heavy as I can manage). I also pole dance, which requires a lot of physical strength. I wonder if this might even be a good group of its own?
  • allybeee
    allybeee Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    hi,

i am also interested in this i find it difficult to eat clean and get enough protein as a veggie everyone keeps telling me i need to eat chicken and tuna :s

a group would be good!
  • pdworkman
    pdworkman Posts: 1,342 Member
    Options
    Everybody is going to tell you that you need far more protein than you do.
  • shander7
    shander7 Posts: 613 Member
    Options
    I'm just starting off!! I would love to find more natural protein sources too, but not easy!
  • Cocochickdeleted
    Cocochickdeleted Posts: 343 Member
    Options
    I just saw this article today. Might be helpful to some of you.
    http://www.mindbodygreen.com/0-4491/My-Top-7-Sources-of-PlantBased-Protein.html
  • jodibefitvegan
    jodibefitvegan Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I'm not a body builder, but do strength train. i get my protein from chlorella, nuts and seeds, beans, hemp seed and protein powder, and vegan Shakeology. I have progressed faster and recovered faster at the age of 42 than i ever did back in my meat eating days. I eat about 75% raw.
  • Gt3ch
    Gt3ch Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    I'm not new to strength training but I am new to training and eating specifically to add mass. While I don't find it hard to get a relatively high protein diet, it's quite easy to overdue calories to reach the recommended protein levels. I'm suspicious of the common advice to eat such a massive surplus of calories and protein (unless you're training several hours a day). Surely you need enough to repair the micro-tears and trauma of exercise. A big surplus, however, doesn't seem necessary for most.

However most plant protein sources aren't complete proteins. I'm wondering if anyone knows where there is good info on which foods are rich & deficient in specific amino acids and which others are complete?

I'm leaning mostly on beans, lentils, soy products, quinoa, leafy greens and cruciferous veggies. I haven't given up eggs or protein powder yet- but I'm practically there.
  • InnerFatGirl
    InnerFatGirl Posts: 2,687 Member
    Options
    Everybody is going to tell you that you need far more protein than you do.

^This.
  • Vegan_Chick
    Vegan_Chick Posts: 474 Member
    Options
    I started the NEW Rules For Lifting program and have been eating around 130-150 grams of protein per day on a vegan diet. It is so hard to do! Plus the book states you need to keep your macros at 40/30/30. This is even harder as I keep going over my carbs. Anyone else have any luck with this?
  • Gt3ch
    Gt3ch Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    I haven't been able to do better than 45-55% carbs & 20-25% protein. I just gave up and have really just been tracking total calories and protein (& have been bad about that recently).

I'm definitely not meeting normal protein and other macro recommendations. Not by a long shot. But I am recovering fine between workouts and visually I think I'm noticing some modest improvements recently. I finally bought a tape measure last week and biceps and chest are both up about 0.25" each. At the same time I lost a pound and my chest is noticeably leaner. For all I know this falls into the margin of error or is otherwise misleading. Will have to be patient and get more data.
  • redcat17
    redcat17 Posts: 267 Member
    Options
    I just started weight training again and this is the first time I've done it on an all plant-based diet. I can usually get between 100-125 grams of protein without going over my calories, which might be okay since right now I'm at about 129 LBM. I do have a Vega One shake most days and sometimes protein bars (which I really don't like eating).

As far as I'm concerned, so long as I'm getting through my work outs and recovery I'm not going to worry about it too much.