Overeating and antipsychotics

Options
As a bipolar, from time to time my antipsychotics dose (i take seroquel) needs to go way up to control mixed or manic states. This is always temporary (weeks to months) but usually I can go back to my usual dose after I've proven to be pretty stable for awhile. I know this is necessary and it helps keep me stable and functional. But this is the first time I've had to increase the dose while also actively trying to lose weight.

I have learned to accept the intense sedation. I exercise to compensate for it and that helps. I don't make plans at night. Etc.

But what I am having trouble coping with is the intense hunger that I feel pretty much all the time. Antipsychotics make me want to eat. A lot. I have had a lot of self control but it is a near constant struggle to measure out servings and ignore how much I want to keep eating.

Do I need to just accept that I will not continue to lose weight while I'm managing the extremes of this illness?? Anyone have any coping strategies?

Replies

• clydethecat
    clydethecat Posts: 1,094 Member
    Options
    i also have bipolar disorder and i take seroquel... the craving for food is so intense at the beginning it was hard for me to not binge. i now take 2 200mg at night and then half in the morning and half at the middle of the day and that helped my sedation and the craving.. i also eat at 3 hr intervals and that keeps most cravings under control. but at night, i need to eat something filling so i eat 1 -2 bowls of rice krispies (they dont have a lot oft nutrition, but you can have huge 1 1/4 cup serviing) and milk and that helps so i dont go to bed hungry.

i'm not a doctor.. this is just what has worked for me, i hope i helped. :)
  • leahnassar
    Options
    I think I need to find other foods I can eat a lot of without destroying the whole day... cereal is a REALLY good suggestion!!

its also just really encouraging to know that i'm not alone with this problem...
  • _Khaleesi_
    _Khaleesi_ Posts: 877 Member
    Options
    I work in a mental health inpatient facility where a lot of my clients are on Seroquel. Anti-psychotics are known for the side effect of increased appetite. We have to pay close attention to the food that our Client's eat and how it effects their weight gain. The best things you can eat are green leafy veggies and protein, protein, protein. Lean proteins are lower in calories but keep you feeling fuller for longer. Also, make sure that you are drinking at least 8 cups of water a day. Fluids can fill you up and trick your appetite.

I hope this helps. :)