DYING to get back on my bikes!!!

Pedalpush
Pedalpush Posts: 246 Member
Hey. I'm pretty new to MFP and other than the weight loss goal, I am working to get back to racing mountain bikes again. I have a Titus Racer X, Vicious Cycle steel hard tail, Bianchi DISS (and, if I have to, a steel road bike, custom - leftover from marriage #1).

I want to hear all about your blood, mud, sweat and gears so I can catch the bug again. This unseasonably warm, dry winter has me all kinds of twitchy.

Oh, and I have two little boys at home - 4 1/2 and1. So I have to plan accordingly...

Replies

• johnwhitent
    johnwhitent Posts: 648 Member
    The temps here have been great for mountain biking but we have gotten too much rain! We need the rain but it only rains on days when I can ride! (Some of the local trails close when wet due to erosion issues.) Back in the nineties I rode a lot but I kind of missed the 2,000’s (got married.) In August of 2011 I bought a 2010 Giant XTC-1 that someone bought planning to race it but traded it for a road bike without ever racing it. They tricked it out with flat carbon bars, carbon seatpost, replaced all the SLX with XT, upgraded the brakes, etc. I got a sweet bike for cheap dollars! Of course I was not used to hydraulic disc brakes so on ride number one I promptly took a header on a fast downhill, ouch! But I have been having a blast with it. It is a far better bike than I am rider, but I’m getting better. I’m not a racer; I just love being out in the woods – mtb, trail run, hike, etc. I learned to ride on a rigid bike on old horse trails – I’m too old for that now. But they have built some unbelievable trails around here. Fast clean hardpack with nicely banked corners – very swoopy and just a blast to ride. Dang I want to ride NOW!
  • sansey
    sansey Posts: 113 Member
    That sounds awesome! I love mountain bike racing. I am not good at it yet but its alot of fun and you get to meet alot of fun people. I race in the beginner Cat 3 category. Since I live in Iowa the pickings are slim for races but I manage to find 5 or 6 a year that I can go to.

I have a couple of bikes and many on my list of gotta have in the future. I have a Niner Air 9 which is my race bike. I also have a Redline Monocog 29er. It is my ol reliable. Always there waiting for a ride.

The weather has been really nice this winter but I still have not been out much. Still been a little muddy since it has been so warm this year. I have been doing quite a bit of spinning classes though so hopefully I am in shape for the first race in April.
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Sweet bikes!

Living in the northeast, riding is pretty hit or miss this time of year. Frozen ground = prime riding conditions, but we haven't had any sustained freezes yet and are generally dealing with sloppy trails. I've gotten out a few times, but have been running more than I've been riding of late.

Oh, I have a Yeti 575 and a Surly 1x1. I've got 3 road bikes, but no one cares about those, right (Specialized Roubaix, Cervelo P2, Jamis Quest)?
  • TravisBikes
    TravisBikes Posts: 674 Member
    If you can, buy an indoor trainer from craigslist, or new, and hook up that road bike to it. Makes for great training after the kids are in bed or when the weather is horrible. Can do HIIT workouts, distance, perfect your pedal stroke etc. All from the comfort of your home..