Is nursing your first career?

Options
2»

Replies

• beckibrown67
    beckibrown67 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I recently graduated from a practical nursing program and currently am preparing for the NCLEX. I managed a land survey company for 19 years, which closed when the housing market went bust, and decided to pursue my lifelong dream of becoming a nurse at 43.
  • CassieReannan
    CassieReannan Posts: 1,479 Member
    Options
    No. I didnt really have a "career" as you call it, but worked for 2 years in retail after I graduated high school in 2009. I had no plans of going back to school and didnt obtain the entry to get it. I had to do a course to get in in 2011 and now I am almost finished my first year.
  • Sharlene113
    Sharlene113 Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    I was so inspired with the birth of my 1st baby in 1996. I had the absolute best nurses taking care of us and knew then that this was what I wanted to do. As a single mom, I couldn't afford to do both at the time (school/work) so I continued doing what paid me well. I was in banking and finance for 10 years or so, underwriting commercial and residential loans. Loved my job, but it was only a job. When the housing market buckled, I lost my job. I was remarried and had the financial and emotional support to go back to school. My husband said, "What are you waiting for?" I had no answer, so finally after 16 years of wanting to be a nurse, I signed up for school. So, at 35 and after 6 kids, I will graduate with my RN in December!!!!