CrossFit with Other Workouts

Options
mlh150
mlh150 Posts: 28 Member
In about 2 weeks my husband and I are going to start doing CF. I am a group fitness instructor and I teach Zumba and some lighter weights/strength training classes. I'm excited about the intensity and strength training of CF and am curious to how many people CF in combination with other workouts.

Replies

• snkeller24
    Options
    I still run on WOD on/WOD off days ... I also still do lifting in my own time if I'm not smoked from the WOD
  • crossfitterwahine
    crossfitterwahine Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    I know a lot of people who run in addition to their WOD. I liked to slowly walk home from the box, but that's about it as far as additional workouts. If it's fun for you and not causing any real fatigue, it should be fine. I have heard that people say that if you aren't gassed at the end of a WOD then you aren't putting everything into it, but I think this varies.
  • thecrossfitter
    thecrossfitter Posts: 424 Member
    Options
    I have half and full marathon training that I pair with crossfit. Mostly this just means I add in a long run on Sunday and a moderate length run during the week. I also do interval training as well, but we have crossfit endurance that usually covers me on that (except in the winter it is rowing focus, we switch back to running focus in March). The Higdon Intermediate program is heavy on cross training days, so they fit pretty well together.

My box also offers yoga, boxing, and mobility, so that's sort of a change as well. Starting in April we are having specific Olympic Lifting and Power Lifting classes... I think I'm going to go the olympic route, but I'm not sure!
  • Shizzman
    Shizzman Posts: 527 Member
    Options
    CF is a lot of fun and helps provide a very general fitness, but one of the tenants is even to go out and try fun new activities. In other words it is basically encouraged to have things outside of CF that you enjoy.

For me I dabble a lot....like rock climbing, running, trying parkour, trying silk climbing, I keep meaning to get some swimming in for fun....it's been way to long since I've gotten on my bike (so maybe when the weather is nicer...)

I really want to try partner balancing....I've even thought about trying Zumba (even if a "former friend" decided that I was a crossfit cultist...she it seems had a lot thinner skin when it came to having Zumba called cute...)
  • zenJes
    zenJes Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    i do heaps of otherstuff as well as crossfit- i love crossfit but our box does bootcamps, boxing and GPP as well so i like to mix it all up in a week, usually doing crossfit plus something else for one day then doing a single workout on the next day and so on.. but i also do long distance running and swimming with a little bit of pole dancing in just for fun lol i love exercise!!