Ran my longest distance but my thighs hurt

Options
sunleigh
sunleigh Posts: 84 Member
10 miles today. I felt great except for my thighs. Breathing was awesome calves were awesome
I have been doing a lot if treadmill trainj g through the winter. Do you think that is making my thighs weak?
Any recommendations, what is your training for weaker muscles, weighs? I am afraid I am going to over work muscles and then not be able to run my mileage. I am training for my first 1/2 in march...suggestions :)

Replies

• allenpearcy
    allenpearcy Posts: 227 Member
    Options
    Run outside as often as possible. Run tomorrow, but not as far and then take a day or two off. Run outside again!

I find the transition from treadmill to outside to always hurt a bit. Apparently that cushion deck is really cushioned...not if feels that way while I am on it!
  • mlb929
    mlb929 Posts: 1,974 Member
    Options
    Ive added Brazilian butt lift for my weaker areas from running its made a world of difference.
  • katiestemp
    katiestemp Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    I get the same thing, but higher up..amost in my groin area..I think you're right about the transition from treadmill in the winter to outside. It's hard on the body!! I'm a new runner so I would love some advice on this as well!
  • grinch031
    grinch031 Posts: 1,679
    Options
    Put the treadmill at a small incline. Don't know whether that is why your thighs felt weak. Could be your aerobic base wasn't quite ready to handle the distance, or maybe you didn't have enough electrolytes or water during your run, don't know.
  • UrbanRunner81
    UrbanRunner81 Posts: 1,207 Member
    Options
    I do lots of squats, deadlifts and lunges. I've never really had any thigh pain. I know doing lower body strength training does prevent running related injuries. Not saying your injured, but if you want get your legs stronger I'd do some strength training.
  • mlachance9
    mlachance9 Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    If you transition from the treadmill to all outside road running - do it gradually or you risk getting shin splints. As to the thigh issue - when you ran outside was it in snow or slush? I do all my running outside and find that when I run in snow my thighs do ache a little bit. I think it's because you use different parts of your legs when you have resistance (snow) to run in. Or it could be you were doing hills, etc. that you are not used to since you always run on the treadmill. The hills will also use different parts of your legs. I agree with what someone else said and if you do treadmill running to set the incline to 1 or 2 to mimic how a road is. And good job on the 10 miles!
  • cowgirlslikeus86
    cowgirlslikeus86 Posts: 597 Member
    Options
    That happens to me if I transition from running flat surfaces, to hills. Your hip flexers( I think it is) need to be strengthend. Running at an incline is the only thing that I have found helps me. I would tend to think, if you continue running the same route (or hills), that is should go away?
  • sunleigh
    sunleigh Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    thanks for the replies :) i will incline the treadmill and throw some strength training it...have been doing the shred this week.
    I was running on trail, that does have a lot of soft areas...pretty much in between road and beach running i would guess...my 6 mile run were great this week...headed out for another long run this week, see if there is an difference now that all my runs have been outdoors.
  • goodstarbuck
    Options
    Gonna have to agree with urbanhipperu, strength training (lunges, squats) are the way to go. Running stairs and inclines (hills), preferably outside, will also help. I go through the same transition every year, too. The dreadmill sucks.