14ers

Options
JoniBologna
JoniBologna Posts: 653 Member
I wanted to start this thread because, well, it's inevitable if you're hiking in Colorado.

I must admit I have the itch pretty bad. Snowshoeing and foothill hiking is fun, but I am hurting to get up in the high country. I have made it my personal goal to climb at least 10 peaks over 12,000 feet this summer. I am already making a tentative list of the ones I would like to climb.

This would be a great place to share our experiences with climbing 14ers and other large peaks. What mountains have you climbed in the past? Which are you planning on in the future? Please share your stories.

Replies

• MisterDubs303
    MisterDubs303 Posts: 1,216 Member
    Options
    Over in the Mile High MFP group, we are trying to arrange a 14er trip right now (before the OP moves out of state in May). I think that most of us that are interested have never done one. We sure could use your experience. Take a look.
  • JoniBologna
    Options
    I would be happy to offer tips and answer any questions here. I have taken a look at that thread, and honestly, it made me nervous. I noticed one woman had never even been hiking. I commend her and all other newbies for wanting to get into hiking. That said, climbing 14ers is extremely difficult even for people in good shape and is potentially very dangerous. I'm not sure if a group that large of varying skill/fitness levels is feasible. It is important everyone is properly prepared with the 10 essentials, adequate food, clothing, and footwear. Much more, I worry about how altitude would affect people who are new to 14ers and hiking in general. Also, if you are going in March/April it will most likely be much more difficult than mid-summer and snowshoes may be necessary. If you didn't already know, you can find trip reports at 14ers.com. Just my two cents.
  • jplucheck
    jplucheck Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    I live in the high country and have a few 14ers and several other 12k plus peaks within walking distance of my house. I am currently trying to hike all 54 14ers in Colorado. Tomorrow I will actually snowshow up Peak One in Summit County and snowboard down one of the chutes, so excited!
  • JoniBologna
    Options
    That is badass! I am not brave enough to try and bag all the 14ers, especially during the winter. Please share how your trip goes. Enjoy. :happy:
  • jplucheck
    Options
    That is badass! I am not brave enough to try and bag all the 14ers, especially during the winter. Please share how your trip goes. Enjoy. :happy:

Wow is all I have to say for my trip this week. We hiked in snow as deep as our waists and was one hell-of-a work out without snowshoes, burned over 2000 calories - Snowboarding was amazing but extremely scary, prob the most avalanche prone snow I have ever shredded!
  • JoniBologna
    Options
    You are brave. I was hoping you were going to report back and tell us the snow was dwindling. Chest deep snow is pretty ridiculous. I'm ready for some Summer hiking!
  • jplucheck
    Options
    You are brave. I was hoping you were going to report back and tell us the snow was dwindling. Chest deep snow is pretty ridiculous. I'm ready for some Summer hiking!

The melt off as definitely begun and doubt we will get any more substantial snow, we will be able to hike a lot earlier compared to last summer!