Our Food Is Killing Us!

Options
LoveToWork
LoveToWork Posts: 59 Member
I think our food industry is killing us....
1) First they make millions by selling us this poison
2) Then they make more by giving us drugs to cure what the fast and other processed food did to us
3) Make even more money by giving us more drugs to try and counter the reaction of the first drugs...
4) Make even more money on weight loss treatments, like surgery and more drugs for depression
5) Then we die to young to enjoy our savings

Anyone else think this way?

Jeanne

Replies

• nitepagan
    nitepagan Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    2) Then they make more by giving us drugs to cure what the fast and other processed food did to us
    3) Make even more money by giving us more drugs to try and counter the reaction of the first drugs...
    4) Make even more money on weight loss treatments, like surgery and more drugs for depression

Jeanne

I realized this awhile ago, I don't take prescription drugs except on short term basis, such antibiotics, etc. There are herbal alternatives for most illnesses and diseases. Losing weight is my prescription for getting my body back into a healthy mode. Buying organic food would be the best thing to do, but can't afford the prices, so do the next best thing. I make most everything from scratch using as high a quality ingredients as I can afford.
  • ElizabethRoad
    ElizabethRoad Posts: 5,138 Member
    Options
    Um, no. Nobody is forcing you to buy "this poison". And the people selling the drugs are not the same as the people selling the food. Not everything is a conspiracy. If you're going to abuse your body by eating crap all your life, somebody's got to sell you the drugs to fix it, don't they? Take some responsibility. There's no reason to blame a vast conspiracy for your poor decisions.
  • KaseyWolf
    KaseyWolf Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    We are killing ourselves...period. For profit, for convenience, for apathy. Do you think the food industries out there that make this crap would have the ability if we didn't succumb to the marketing of supply and demand? I think of the latest fad--energy drinks. There used to be 1. Now there are hundreds. Remember when granola was just a trail mix snack? Look at the shelves now with all of them out there. And Fast food? Holy crud don't get me started! Just on the one street I drive down to work (a hospital) there are: Taco Bell and 2 other taco/mex places, McD, BurgerKing, Pizza Hut, Arby's, Long John Silver, Wendy's, Subway (a fave), Western Sizzlin, 2 diners, donut shop and about 4 chinese restaurants.

I work on a unit that is tied to the Emergency room, we get observation patients (ideally, not always) who are there to be monitored, run tests, etc. Most of them are "chest pain" patients...trying to figure out if they are having a heart attack or not. Most of them are hypertension, diabetes, prior cardiovascular disease patients. No lie one lady came up weighing over 190kg (420 lbs), here for 3rd time for chest pain, diabetic, on the stretcher with a big plate of french fries covered in cheese and a regular dr. pepper soda!! Said she was "starving" because she hadn't eaten since 9pm (it was 1am). "Fix me!" she says. Yet she won't moderate her diet, take her medications as prescribed (doesn't like them...forgets...makes me pee myself, etc). "Fix me" I hear that so often!

We want the quick fixes. We don't feel well...give me an antibiotic (even if it isn't something that should be getting one). Hungry...don't shop and prepare the food...mindlessly go through a drive through and shovel some concotion down your throat for instant saiety. Muscle aches, pains..take a pill, have surgery, take more pills.

Our foods aren't killing us. Our culture and lifestyle are killing us. Our attitude of entitlement is killing us. And the sad thing is after having 2 17 year old patients this week....we are continuing the cycle instead of breaking it.
  • AFreeheart
    AFreeheart Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    Well said, Kasey!
  • LoveToWork
    Options
    We are killing ourselves...period. For profit, for convenience, for apathy. Do you think the food industries out there that make this crap would have the ability if we didn't succumb to the marketing of supply and demand? I think of the latest fad--energy drinks. There used to be 1. Now there are hundreds. Remember when granola was just a trail mix snack? Look at the shelves now with all of them out there. And Fast food? Holy crud don't get me started! Just on the one street I drive down to work (a hospital) there are: Taco Bell and 2 other taco/mex places, McD, BurgerKing, Pizza Hut, Arby's, Long John Silver, Wendy's, Subway (a fave), Western Sizzlin, 2 diners, donut shop and about 4 chinese restaurants.

I work on a unit that is tied to the Emergency room, we get observation patients (ideally, not always) who are there to be monitored, run tests, etc. Most of them are "chest pain" patients...trying to figure out if they are having a heart attack or not. Most of them are hypertension, diabetes, prior cardiovascular disease patients. No lie one lady came up weighing over 190kg (420 lbs), here for 3rd time for chest pain, diabetic, on the stretcher with a big plate of french fries covered in cheese and a regular dr. pepper soda!! Said she was "starving" because she hadn't eaten since 9pm (it was 1am). "Fix me!" she says. Yet she won't moderate her diet, take her medications as prescribed (doesn't like them...forgets...makes me pee myself, etc). "Fix me" I hear that so often!

We want the quick fixes. We don't feel well...give me an antibiotic (even if it isn't something that should be getting one). Hungry...don't shop and prepare the food...mindlessly go through a drive through and shovel some concotion down your throat for instant saiety. Muscle aches, pains..take a pill, have surgery, take more pills.

Our foods aren't killing us. Our culture and lifestyle are killing us. Our attitude of entitlement is killing us. And the sad thing is after having 2 17 year old patients this week....we are continuing the cycle instead of breaking it.

Very well said.. Thanks
  • LoveToWork
    Options
    Um, no. Nobody is forcing you to buy "this poison". And the people selling the drugs are not the same as the people selling the food. Not everything is a conspiracy. If you're going to abuse your body by eating crap all your life, somebody's got to sell you the drugs to fix it, don't they? Take some responsibility. There's no reason to blame a vast conspiracy for your poor decisions.

Of course you are right.. no one is forcing us. But how do we stop this cycle. I personal do not eat fast food very often and none at all for about a year. I take no drugs and hope to never need too. Losing weight and exercising will help make this remain possible. But most of my family and close friends are on drugs. Lots of them...for high blood pressure, diabetic, pain, to sleep.. it goes on and on. When I was younger I did not know hardly anyone that was on drugs. We never went out to eat... except for very rare occasions.

I wish I was better at expressing my self.. sometimes I just ramble on and on..

Jeanne
  • CallmeSbo
    CallmeSbo Posts: 611 Member
    Options

Jeanne

I realized this awhile ago, I don't take prescription drugs except on short term basis, such antibiotics, etc. There are herbal alternatives for most illnesses and diseases. Losing weight is my prescription for getting my body back into a healthy mode. Buying organic food would be the best thing to do, but can't afford the prices, so do the next best thing. I make most everything from scratch using as high a quality ingredients as I can afford.
    this. And i think education is key. Many people are oblivious to the dangers in the food we eat. The animals are injected with drugs to grow faster. And noone cares how that affects humans as long a they make a buck or two in the process.
  • tameko2
    tameko2 Posts: 31,634 Member
    Options
    well one thing I've seen mentioned elsewhere is that when you were younger, LovetoWork, people really wanted to look strong and healthy. So you didn't go around talking about your infirmities unless you were a bit socially inept. Now it seems like everyone talks about everything that's wrong with them all the time, and everyone is looking for an excuse for their problems and they want their excuses to be validated by a doctor (Who don't give a **** for the most part, they are just going to treat whatever your symptoms are and collect your money).

I really do not believe people should ever take medication for something that can be fixed another way unless their life is in immediate danger. Diabetes, hypertension, metabolic disorders, etc,

But I also think that a LOT of medications are very important and useful. Lots of people genuinely are sick and need medication to manage it. Severe glandular issues (some hormonal regulation can be tied to weight/ftness as well but some is genuinely your body not working right), mental disorders (schizophrenia! Depression can be managed in SOME but not in everyone), etc.

the big problem with the drug companies is a) they are publicly traded companies and that almost always leads to bad or unethical decision making for the sake of stock prices and b) they are profit-centered companies, which means they are always going to target disorders that they can sell the most drugs to -- because R&D costs are the same whether you sell 1 billion bottles or 1 million, so 1 billion is a much better profit margin.

Which is why medicine really shouldn't be a for-profit business.
  • shar140
    shar140 Posts: 1,158 Member
    Options

Jeanne

Yep. I decided to break the cycle, why take drugs when I can change my diet instead?? Isn't that a better lifestyle change? (and whenever I say 'diet', I mean it in the sense of what my eating habits are, not a calorie-restriction) I adopted a lower-carb, grain-free diet, and guess what - I stopped taking metformin for insulin resistance, birth control so I'd HAVE a period, clairitin every day for allergies, prilosec every day (for the past 8 or so years) for acid reflux. As a side benefit, my eczema cleared up, I'm not popping pepto bismol all the time (gluten intolerance, I found out after eliminating it and 'cheating'), I don't get achy joints, etc. All the benefits, to me, outweigh the 'convenience' of processed foods. Just takes some planning ahead.

I see the health issues that my parents have - heart problems (both have had multiple surgeries), high BP, my dad has diabetes (which runs in his family), there is basically a pharmacy in their cabinet for a myriad of conditions (my dad has also been on dialysis for over a year). I don't want my fate to be the same, but I was already headed there.
  • unsuspectingfish
    unsuspectingfish Posts: 1,176 Member
    Options
    well one thing I've seen mentioned elsewhere is that when you were younger, LovetoWork, people really wanted to look strong and healthy. So you didn't go around talking about your infirmities unless you were a bit socially inept. Now it seems like everyone talks about everything that's wrong with them all the time, and everyone is looking for an excuse for their problems and they want their excuses to be validated by a doctor (Who don't give a **** for the most part, they are just going to treat whatever your symptoms are and collect your money).

I really do not believe people should ever take medication for something that can be fixed another way unless their life is in immediate danger. Diabetes, hypertension, metabolic disorders, etc,

But I also think that a LOT of medications are very important and useful. Lots of people genuinely are sick and need medication to manage it. Severe glandular issues (some hormonal regulation can be tied to weight/ftness as well but some is genuinely your body not working right), mental disorders (schizophrenia! Depression can be managed in SOME but not in everyone), etc.

the big problem with the drug companies is a) they are publicly traded companies and that almost always leads to bad or unethical decision making for the sake of stock prices and b) they are profit-centered companies, which means they are always going to target disorders that they can sell the most drugs to -- because R&D costs are the same whether you sell 1 billion bottles or 1 million, so 1 billion is a much better profit margin.

Which is why medicine really shouldn't be a for-profit business.

Not all doctors are in it for the money, though. I go to a teaching hospital/clinic, and they will tell me they don't want to give me any sort of drug unless it's absolutely necessary. My doctor is always really invested in finding out what's wrong without doing any expensive, unecessary tests.
  • ElementalEscapee
    ElementalEscapee Posts: 552 Member
    Options
    Lol.
  • hyerlevo
    hyerlevo Posts: 16
    Options
    Your observastion is correct! It is killing us, However, organic, unprocessed foods and physical activiy is key. To combact enviromental toxins...periodic toxin and intestinal flushes will help.

Light!
  • KaseyWolf
    KaseyWolf Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    I've really worked at getting processed foods out of my diet. By that I mean I try to buy the ingredients and make it instead of buying it in a bag, bottle, box. Cut out the monosorbate-whatever-the-hell-it-is. Visited an Asian market for some ingredients (felt like a tourist big time but it was fun) to learn to make my favorite vietnamese soup. I know have some lemongrass growing on my window sill. I'll not be able to fully eliminate it, but I know I've made a big improvement. It also helps me reflect on just what I'm putting in my mouth and the flavors are so much better. It has also taught me not to be wasteful. Food without preservatives don't last very long. Fresh veggies won't stay fresh forever. I know it is difficult, I have a very bizarre schedule at times. I highly recommend going to eatingwell.com for some recipes.

In the end, we need to get back to remembering that ultimately, food is to nourish our bodies to live. Eat to live, not live to eat.
  • LoveToWork
    Options

In the end, we need to get back to remembering that ultimately, food is to nourish our bodies to live. Eat to live, not live to eat.

Kasey this is so true..