How is X2 Land Coming Along?

Options
nlehmann
nlehmann Posts: 164 Member
How far have you all made it into X2? I am about 6 weeks in and debating what I am going to do at the end of the three week stretch of Phase 2, move on or go a few more weeks...you?

Replies

• rider72
    rider72 Posts: 119
    Options
    I stretched Phase 2 into the full six weeks. I may toss in a recovery week, but Im not sure...may go right into phase 3 and do all three non exercise days as yoga /recovery days (vs. R&M)
  • earlyxer
    earlyxer Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    I'm doing 4 weeks on each phase, I am midway throught the first week of Phase 3. Gotta say I'm a little under-worked, haha! Upper then Lower, then 2 days essentially off? Then Upper and Lower again then another day off? I put in Plyocide on day 3 just to make the guilty feeling go away!
  • MarcoRod
    MarcoRod Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    I did 5 weeks of Ph1 and plan on doing 6 weeks of Ph2. I threw in Kenpo X this week instead of Recovery and Mobility just to keep it interested. I like all the workouts and have to say really struggled with Base + Back on Saturdays. I'm still working on my pull-up muscles.
  • earlyxer
    Options
    I hear you about Base + Back. Original P90X has Legs & Back, and it was 2 leg exercises, then a pull-up, then two more legs, then a pull-up. Then when you were out of pull-up ideas, it was lawnmowers. X2 though - it's leg-pullup-leg-pullup-leg-pullup, lol! It's a lot of pull-ups. My wrists bother me a lot, so towel pull-ups are almost out of the question. Modify, modify, modify!
  • SherryRueter
    SherryRueter Posts: 2,979 Member
    Options
    I'm in Phase 3 : PAP Upper/Lower rotation; I will be putting in either Plyo or TotalBody or something in for the Recovery and mobility days. I will keep Yoga in it...but do something else on that day to get the heart rate up (perhaps non impact like Elliptical or biking).

No Abs in the schedule. I am still debating weather I will add them in or not. I know I get them in during the PAP and in YOGA but, somehow feeling a burn of a 10-16min routine specifically for abs is tempting.
  • MarcoRod
    Options
    I hear you about Base + Back. Original P90X has Legs & Back, and it was 2 leg exercises, then a pull-up, then two more legs, then a pull-up. Then when you were out of pull-up ideas, it was lawnmowers. X2 though - it's leg-pullup-leg-pullup-leg-pullup, lol! It's a lot of pull-ups. My wrists bother me a lot, so towel pull-ups are almost out of the question. Modify, modify, modify!

yeah - I modify a lot using the assisted pull-up machine to get thru the work out. I push thru the plyo stuff OK but by the end I have ZERO pull-up fuel. This is the 1 P90X series workout that makes me feel drained.
  • MarcoRod
    Options
    Left my ipad at home today by mistake so I couldnt do Plyocide in the gym. Instead a buddy popped open his laptop to do good ol' Plyometrics which we figured would be a breeze. W-R-O-N-G. That thing kicked our *kitten* and I actually burned more calories that in Plyocide.
  • earlyxer
    Options
    I'm feeling plenty of abs doing the Step Up Convicts! Those just don't get any easier, I even dropped the plyo box down a notch. And it looks so SIMPLE --- step up, knee up, step down and back lunge. Whoop-dee-doo. Except that midway through the other half I'm gasping and my HR is up near 180...but that's okay, you only have to go straight into Plyo Skaters...
  • nlehmann
    Options
    I was actually suprised at Plyocide. It was a killer the first time through (hadn't done any plyo in a while) but now it is lot less of a challenge. I have been thinking about getting the original Plyo and and subing it in. But I am also using Insanitiy for dbl days which may be way Plyocide seems easier :smile:
  • SAMSON25
    SAMSON25 Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    I have one more week of Phase 2. We're doing 6 weeks - the Alternate workouts were a good change

And I agree, Plyocide did get easier...but then we started increasing the intensity and/or range of motion. Example: doing jack-in-the-box knee tucks as high as possible (25-30 reps) left us crashing more than once. In my opinion, still a great workout, but am interested to revisit Plyometrics later

^^ and I'm sure Insanity would make it seem even less difficult! Sounds like you're working hard - congrats!
  • earlyxer
    Options
    I did regular P90X like 8 times..... kinda lost count, but i started it in March of 2008. So now I've one week left to go on Ph3 or X2....I don't know, I have mixed emotions about it.

I really want to like X2 but it's just not P90X. It doesn't seem hard after you master the balance. Phase 2 seems to have some worthwhile disks, Phase 1 - well, its like riding a bike. Once you learn there is not much more room to grow. I can't see repeating Phase 1.

Now Phase 3. 4 to 6 weeks, but I feel like I'm losing it as I do it, I"m not as strong. There is no bicep work, no tricep work, you limit your pullups to 10 reps per set.... Yeah, it's good interval training in places but as for strength training I think Tony missed the mark. I hate to say that, I have a ton of admiration for him. My son is doing regular X, and I did Shoulders and Arms with him on Monday and I was dying for two days for soreness in my arms and uppers. My rep counts were way down from where I was in December before X2....

Hate to say it, but X2 is kind of a bust.
  • nlehmann
    Options
    I did regular P90X like 8 times..... kinda lost count, but i started it in March of 2008. So now I've one week left to go on Ph3 or X2....I don't know, I have mixed emotions about it.

I really want to like X2 but it's just not P90X. It doesn't seem hard after you master the balance. Phase 2 seems to have some worthwhile disks, Phase 1 - well, its like riding a bike. Once you learn there is not much more room to grow. I can't see repeating Phase 1.

Now Phase 3. 4 to 6 weeks, but I feel like I'm losing it as I do it, I"m not as strong. There is no bicep work, no tricep work, you limit your pullups to 10 reps per set.... Yeah, it's good interval training in places but as for strength training I think Tony missed the mark. I hate to say that, I have a ton of admiration for him. My son is doing regular X, and I did Shoulders and Arms with him on Monday and I was dying for two days for soreness in my arms and uppers. My rep counts were way down from where I was in December before X2....

Hate to say it, but X2 is kind of a bust.

I feel the same way but I thought it was because I wasn't doing all of the moves (push up and pull ups) 100%, I am modifing a bit and use the bands for pull ups since I have no space for pulls at home. I have been skipping some to adding in P90X workouts. I did shoulders and arms a few days ago and Back and Biceps and both felt really good. I haven't moved into Phase 3 yet. I thought I might try each disc then drop X2 and go to P90X for a while again.

I know what you mean about really wanting to love it. I am in love with the foam roller which I hadn't used before X2.
  • SAMSON25
    Options
    Finished the program 5-6-12. Transformation pics in profile
  • Bunnybeesweet
    Bunnybeesweet Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    just finished 6 weeks of phase 2 and feel i earned a nice week of recovery. the most exciting part of my progress is seeing the POSSIBILITY of doing an unassisted chin-up by the time i get through phase 3! boy do i wish i could go back to 2nd grade gym class and climb that stupid peg board or rope that i remember watching the boys do with such envy. i could just cry.
  • earlyxer
    Options
    BunnyB -

Add some "negatives" into your set. Do as many regular pull-ups as you can with the chair assist, then, using the chair, get your chin over the bar and take your foot off of the assist. Now, lower yourself as SLOOOOWLY as you can. Do this three times at the end of each set, and you'll be doing unassisted pull-ups in no time.

When I started P90X it took me 5 weeks to get in my first unassisted, until my coach told me about negatives.

Additionally, one mind trick that can help is to stop thinking about pulling your chin over the bar, and focus on pulling your elbows down to your waist.
  • Bunnybeesweet
    Options
    thanks earlyxer! great tips... i love the mind trick idea. i'm on it. :o)
  • Reaper1219
    Reaper1219 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Ive completed X2 about a month ago. I have lost all the weight that I want to now. I am currently at 169lbs and am just trying to stay strong.
  • Bunnybeesweet
    Options
    Un-assisted chin-up success!!!!!!!
  • SAMSON25
    Options
    Huge milestone achievement - Congrats!!!
  • Bunnybeesweet
    Options
    And today I did an un-assisted PULL-UP!!! Yippeeeeeeeee!