The Injury Report

Options
Hey all! Because recounting and comparing your injuries over the seasons seems to be a great way to pass the time on the chairlift, I thought I'd start a topic on it. So please, share away! Here is my current injury report:

Especially since my left leg is currently displaying every color it is possible to display - reds, greens, blues, yellows, purples and blacks. Lovely. I popped a blood vessel in my hip two weeks ago on a really bad fall AND developed micro-tears in my hamstring. It was really sketchy but because I knew if I didn't get back on my board I'd risk being afraid of it, so I practiced another hour and a half after that! I've also gone out two more times in those two weeks and doing my best to ice and rest in between times, but at a couple points my ankle has swollen twice the size it should be. I have had to put my gym conditioning on hold, but I only have about one more good week of shredding left in the season. I expect to need another month after I hang my snowboard up for the season to heal.

Everyone I know thinks I'm crazy, but there's something in my soul that won't allow me to accept the finality of it. Of course I hurt, but I still manage to work my 40 hours a week, and if I can do that I should be able to attend Friday night dances at the studio and take snowy Saturday runs down the mountain. I take that risk no matter how healthy in body I am any time I step on my board.

I think there's some indescribable part of my will as an athlete to persevere no matter what. I need a sticker that says "I'll heal when my season ends......" because I've said it about a 100 times this season lol. No gore, no glory.

So leave your gore here.

Replies

• dellrio
    dellrio Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    This is an older post, but I am already getting my summertime snowboard withdrawals (unusually early this year probably due to the terrible winter). So anyways here we go, I have been boarding for 18 years of my life so far, and feel that I have been extremely lucky to have as few injuries as I have considering the stuff that I do. The list is pretty extensive, but keep in mind I snowboard much much more than the average rider. I work at a ski-hill, and ride every day that I can, ice, slush, groomers, or powder - I do not care.

2011-2012 - fractured foot in September, but refractured it at Loveland the first weekend in November, bruised a rib and suffered concussion same day.

2010-2011 - Overjumped a landing, landed on butt and Literally tore open my.... Well - I will leave this up to the imagination - OUCH! After an hour of rest I went back out and broke my board in half at Buck Hill, then to top it off, got a speeding ticket on the drive home.

2007-2008 Pinched Cyatic(sp?) Nerve at Seven Oaks recreation - Overjumped a jump's landing

2006-2007 - Re-Fractured my cocyx (tailbone), smashed my face on a handrail

2005-2006 - Fractured my cocyx (tailbone)

2004-2005 - Freebording in summer (like a snowboard on concrete) - got hit by SUV who fled scene, major concussion - did not remember much, bystanders helped me out of the street - never freeborded again without a helmet.

2000-2001 - Fractured rib - lost control of board on a tree run

1999-2000 - Stitches in back of my head from an epic scorpion fall

1996-1997 - Sprained Wrist

1993 - 1994 - Broken pinky Finger

In addition to breaking myself I have now offically broken the following boards, Limited LTD154 on a sketchy rail, blew out the metal edge, Palmer Liberty 154, hard impact on a box, cracked the deck topsheet through the core, Rome Agent 156 Completely thrashed and blew out the metal edge, Signal Matt Hammer 156 - Literally broke it in half, only the Ptex was holding it together, Rome agent Rocker 156, cracked in the core - but still rideable for now - broke this the second day I rode it last season.
  • lookitsromo
    Options
    I feel like a pansy compared to dellrio lol

Last year a 4 year old slammed into my knee with his ski. I was just standing there and he ran into me full speed (he was skiing WAY out of control). I basically saved this kid from slamming into a wall but he really got my knee. I've seen three doctors who didn't help at all. The third doc basically told me I have ridiculously strong knees and to keep icing it (no torn acl or mcl thank god). My knee hurts basically every day but third doc said it wont get better until maybe Sept. Icing it everyday is a pain especially because driving to work is what gets it. I never thought a swollen bursa would be this difficult. I wish it would heal already...

Got a concussion last season while boarding, basically fell on nasty ice...wasn't wearing a helmet cause I forgot it! booo! I still get really nervous on my board and only took it out maybe three times last year. Which sucks because I think boarding is really fun.

I was skiing at Taos Ski Valley in 2008 (to give you an idea of terrain) and ended up tomahawking and having a yard sale. I lost everything! Goggles, hat, bandana, poles, gloves, dignity. I had some from minor injuries, but ended up with a fractured rib. I was so mad about that injury, considering I wasn't hitting rails or jumps. I was just skiing lol
    This is what made me start wearing a helmet, as before my reasoning was "A helmet isn't going to save my life if I run into a tree."

Aside from those injuries, all my other incidents occurred on dry land (ankles, wrists, you name it, it happened). But none have stopped me from continuing to hit the slopes every year.

I'm hoping 2012-2013 brings a injury free season and more snow!