Emergency Area: Come here if you're about to emotionally eat

Options
Emergency Area: Come here if you are about to emotionally eat (and leave advice for your future self)

1. First take a deep breath, well done for being aware of your emotional eating, that is the first and hardest step.

2. You have a choice right now. You can be the best version of yourself, where you take on the difficult task of breaking well worn habits, or you can continue doing what you have always done. Make the choice.

3. Congratulations on choosing to love and respect yourself. Now you have another choice… both are about loving yourself. You can either do something other than eating that is loving for yourself, or you can sit down and try to listen to what your emotions are telling you. Sometimes the emotionally eating is just a habitual thing and it is as simple as breaking the habit by consistently not doing it over a period of time (for example eating when we get home, eating when stressed). Sometimes you might want to ask that feeling inside yourself to tell you what it is. Choose what is most appropriate right now: loving yourself with an alternative to eating, or loving yourself by asking your emotions to speak to you. Choose.

4. Speaking to emotions: To explore your emotions, journal or talk to a friend. Breath into the emotional feeling inside of you and ask it what it is. It may take time to build this relationship with the feeling if it has been ignored for a long time.

5. Doing an alternative: To break the habit try one of these activities:
a. Have a quite cup of tea
b. Walk around the block
c. Breath
d. Tell yourself something nice about yourself
e. Take a bath
f. Nap
g. Listen to music
h. Dance

Please share all the strategies you have for dealing with emotional eating in an emergency here. Write a piece of advice for your future self (for when you need it) and others then everyone can come here when they need it and get lots of support.

Replies

• dnpi
    dnpi Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    You've come a long way so don't go back to the starting position. Bring out your journal and write.
  • roojyrooroo
    roojyrooroo Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    It takes time to break a habit but doing it starts right now…

Nathaniel Emmons
    "Habit is either the best of servants or the worst of masters."

Feodor Dostoevski quote
    "The second half of a man's life is made up of nothing but the habits he has acquired during the first half."

Mark Twain quote
    "Habit is habit and not to be flung out of the window by any man, but coaxed downstairs a step at a time."

Henry van *kitten* quote
    "As long as habit and routine dictate the pattern of living, new dimensions of the soul will not emerge."

Agatha Christie quote
    "Curious things - habits. People themselves never knew they had them."

John Boyle O'Reilly quote
    "How shall I a habit break? As you did that habit make, As you gathered, you must lose; As you yielded, now refuse, Thread by thread the strands we twist Till they bind us neck and wrist, Thread by thread the patient hand Must untwine ere free we stan"

Aristotle quote
    "We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence then, is not an act, but a habit."
  • imsmellie
    imsmellie Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    wish i knew about this sooner. too late. will try next time.
  • brunsda
    brunsda Posts: 78
    Options
    Choose to feel the emotion. Don't cover it or stuff it down.

Bad habits are easier to abandon today than tomorrow.
    ~Yiddish Proverb
  • Themuseinme
    Themuseinme Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    Thank God for this topic!!
    It will surely be used often.

I want to eat right now!
    Im observing my feelings and my hunger level. There;s a wee bit real hunger, but most is emotional. I am disaapointed that my last weigh in, today, I had gained weight for the first time since starting in June, I see now its going to take alot more exercise and time than I was hoping for.

Im also upset and sad because of a most disturbing email from my step daughter, an alcoholic.What she said hurts.I want to feel my feelings and not stuff them. I realize that eating will just be a temporary fix and make me feel worst about myself sooooo Im going to go walk/run on my treadmill instead. While on the treadmill Im going to pray and do some positive affirmations and then go to bed.

Oh yeah, first off Im going to go drink 16 oz of water!!!