wheat free & nut free cereals & bars

Options
shakybabe
shakybabe Posts: 1,578 Member
I love cereal often for supper rather than breakfast, but since I've got wheat free I can't have weetabix or special K.

I heard Granola is meant to be healthy but even the oats ones contain some wheat or nuts. I used to have kelloggs bran flakes but I don't know whether its got wheat in? At the minute I have Rice Krispies or Oats, but getting a bit bored with them!

Anyone know of a brand or where I can get something similar that is both Nut & wheat free in the UK?

Also those bars like special K bars etc most I find contain nuts and sometimes wheat too.

Thanks

Replies

• AllisonMart
    AllisonMart Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    I don't know about the UK, but in the States I eat GF Rice Krispies and Chex has several GF varieties that are tasty. Watch out on generic rice krispies - most are flavored with malt which is gluten. There are also specialty cereals in the organic section but I've never tried those.

Bars - look for ThinkThin, they are my favs. I have one for breakfast everyday. They are 20g of protein, GF, and actually taste good. I get mine from Amazon.

Good luck!
  • pdworkman
    pdworkman Posts: 1,342 Member
    Options
    Don't know what you can get there, but some that I can find in Canada (and we don't get the Chex or gf Rice Krispies) are:

- Enjoy Life Granola
    - Nature's Path corn flakes
    - Erewhon Rice Krispies
  • JanLeb
    JanLeb Posts: 316 Member
    Options
    I am in Canada and just in the past couple of months gluten free chex and rice krispies are now in the local grocery stores. The honey nut chex are one of my favorites. I was just recently given a book for learning to live gluten free and in it is a granola recipe that I plan to make very soon as one of my favorite breakfast is berries with yogurt and a bit of granola.
  • jamblur
    Options
    Shakybabe,

Kellogg's Bran Flakes contain about 21% wheat bran, so they wouldn't be suitable (wish they were - I love 'em!). Most Sainsburys, Tescos, Asda, Waitrose, etc. now stock gluten free cereals in their 'free from' aisles, so you should be able to find something there. Sadly, you'll have to pay more than 'regular' cereals.

Alternatively, make your own! Buy GF oats and make granola by toasting with honey a bit of flavourless oil, dried fruit, nuts, etc.
  • BeesKnees181
    BeesKnees181 Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    Corn and rice chex...cinnamon chex and chocolate chex=all g-f

Some of Barbara's Brand cereal are wheat free, but they are made in a facilit that processes wheat products. The peanut butter puffins are my absolute fav.

I love the Wildberry Buckwehat frozen waffles that are g-f; they are delicious.

Also, Bob's red mill steel cut oats are great. You can find g-f oats out there and make your own granola. I, personally, have not found a gluten free granola that I like. Hope this helps! And happy g-f hunting!