Options
glypta
glypta Posts: 440 Member
Yay or nay and why?

Replies

• MrsM1ggins
    MrsM1ggins Posts: 724 Member
    Options
    No idea. The politicians are a bunch of liars (for the most part) and it seems impossible to find out what the 'real numbers' are to be able to determine the pros and cons.

I think it'll take A LOT of debate before I make up my mind.
  • sexforjaffacakes
    sexforjaffacakes Posts: 1,001 Member
    Options
    I really think we should have some information from independent parties, and in easy to understand words.

The majority of the Scottish public have no idea about economics or politics, and yet are expected to vote on this important decision.

There needs to be some non biased research, with non biased conclusions, that can be put into a format so the public can read and decide...
  • MrsM1ggins
    MrsM1ggins Posts: 724 Member
    Options
    There needs to be some non biased research, with non biased conclusions,
    Does such a thing actually exist? Even if it does, who would be willing to pay for it? None of the political parties, that's for sure!
  • kyle4jem
    kyle4jem Posts: 1,400 Member
    Options
    As much as I am pro-Independence, I do not see how Scotland could extricate itself entirely out of the United Kingdom.

Politically, Scotland now has its own parliament and a number of devolved powers which have been extremely beneficial to our proud nation. Devolution is one thing; full independence is another.

Fiscally Scotland is linked to the £ Sterling and like it or not, that's not going to change even after independence. It took Ireland 50 years or so to sever its fiscal ties to Sterling and then we've seen what happened their when their tiger economy went supernova and has now almost completely imploded.

Everyone assumes that an independent Scotland would benefit from the North Sea Oil revenue, but that's not guaranteed as contractually it is Westminster that holds all the cards there and they will not give that up without a fight.

Defence: who is going to defend us? The Armed Forces belong to the UK and it would be a huge financial burden to create a Scots Army, Air Force and Navy.

Broadcasting: While the SMG is only one of two of the old regional commercial broadcasters that is independent of ITV (Ulster is the other one) it is highly dependent on programming from ITV1 and methinks most Scots would end up watching ITV1 on Sky (as many do now) were STV to take itself out of the ITV1 schedules. The same applies to BBC Scotland, BBC Alba, BBC Radio Scotland - would they be able to rely on a BBC if no longer part of GB?

I think the best option for Scotland would be to be able to enjoy the same benefits as say the Isle of Man or the Channel Islands, i.e. relative autonomy within the umbrella of the United Kingdom. It would then be up to the Scots Parliament to decide whether they would remain within the EU or like the aforementioned British islands, enjoy tax-free status.

Of course, as an ex-pat, I don't really have any right of reply as I've chosen like so many of us (and there's probably about as many Scots in England & Wales as there is in Scotland proper - and most of them seem to be running England plc anyhow) amongst the Sassenachs. Hell, I even married one :laugh:
  • mazza33
    mazza33 Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    Love it kyle4jem - very informative!

I wont pretend to know too much but I am pro-SNP....I got swept away by 'FREEEEDDDOOOOOMMM' and all that but I'm thinking this isn't going to work :/

I think they may give us our independence when the oil runs dry tho :laugh:

x
  • sexforjaffacakes
    sexforjaffacakes Posts: 1,001 Member
    Options
    Pretty much all the studies show that we'd be fine either way, and btw the oil isn't the only source of revenue guys, for every pro argument an anti argument cancels it out and vice versa, so it really comes down to personal feelings rather than finance/politics etc.

I don't mind being part of the UK, but I don't like being considered the same country. If it truly means United Kingdom(s) there should be separate Kingdoms that are united! We don't have a strong enough national identity IMO, I'd like to see our own olympic teams etc. And more devolved power. And get trident out of our goddamn country! When it comes to currency I'd like to see the pound kept in place, but perhaps not see all our taxes go to a central government in England, have separate tax systems for Scotland and England. And instead of England having powers over us, how about we have shared powers? Like we can still share an army and an NHS etc and still provide tax money for those areas, but actually get a say in what goes on, rather than, "okay well we hold all these powers that we're totally in charge of, you guys can have a few laws to play with".

We should have more freedom to create our own bloody laws in our own country, eg gay marriage, drug prohibition etc etc.

We are a separate country with a very special relationship with England, and it should be treated as such, rather than us basically being England's *****, and, in turn, America's *****.
    OH - I actually might vote for Independence just so I never have to live under another Tory prime minister as long as I live.