Stray moggie problem

Options
catcrazy
catcrazy Posts: 1,740 Member
The cat in my display pic is a daily visitor and for a while I thought he was homed and was just a greedy puss supplementing his meals at my expense but hes getting skinnier, tattier and dirtier looking and I now think hes a stray. Today I stroked him and recoiled in horror at what felt like tumours along his side. On second feel its just extremely matted fur but matted so close to his skin that I wont have a hope in hell of brushing or combing it out. He is long haired and full tom.

Hes not mine. Finances are very very tight right now and I can't afford to take him to the vets. The RSPCA in my area are known for destroying strays (several workers have spoken out in the press against them) The PDSA only allow so many pets per household and Im at my limit and all the no kill shelters are at capacity with the seasonal influx of abandoned pregnant queens. Short of setting up a "Save Stratham" paypal page I'm going to have to try and tackle this by myself.

Soooo.....Any tips on placating a very nervous cat so I can use clippers on him would be very gratefully received.

Replies

• Johnnyswife
    Johnnyswife Posts: 1,447 Member
    Options
    Do you have a local feed store or a pet store that sells some anti stress formula for cats? Maybe if you gave him some of that, you might be able to clip his fur without him freaking out. That or use scissors to cut the knots out, since they aren't noisy. Don't get too attached to him though. If your not allowed to have any more, and he's homeless, he's bound to be picked up and put into a pound. :( Do you know anyone that might want to adopt him and take care of him?
  • catcrazy
    Options
    Thanks

They dont have round up of cats round here, the one stray I feed has been around for 2 years. They only tend to end up in there if folk hand their own in or if someone takes in a stray they found.

We have tackled a few of the tangles with a comb...well my daughter did, just got to build up his trust again to grab him inside. Might get some feliway spray, that comes vet recommended over here (UK)
  • godroxmysox
    godroxmysox Posts: 1,491 Member
    Options
    You're only allowed a certain number of pets? What's the limit? I bet I'm over, lol
  • catcrazy
    Options
    No, I'm not on any one elses imposed limits...just my finances are stretched right now.The PDSA (a UK charity that provides free/cheap veterinary treatment) will only treat x amount of pets per household, no limit on how many you can own but you have to register with them.

I have 5 cats, 3 of which walked in as stray adults, 1 came to me as an hour old abandoned kitten. The only 1 I "chose" to have was the abandoned kittens sister, when she was 6 weeks old, so she didnt end up pregnant like her 5 month old mother. (being too young is probably the reason she abandoned her first kitten, she came back the next day and birthed 2 more and raised them herself)

On top of my 5 cats I also feed 3 strays and have a rescue guinea pig.