Running for you, or for a greater cause?

Options
juicemoogan
juicemoogan Posts: 999 Member
Hello,

This is for all you runners entering races.

Do you just enter to run, or do you enter and support a charity by collecting pledges?

My first one i did just for me, but my next 10k I'mm collecting donations for a Dog Rescue organization - Boston Terrier Rescue Canada ( Check my blog).

How about you all?

How often do you run for charity and how often just for yourself?

- Jess

Replies

• FoxyMcDeadlift
    FoxyMcDeadlift Posts: 771 Member
    Options
    You cant run too often for charity, or people wont donate. I've run/am running for charity twice. Once last year for cancer research after i lost my father, this year for my works charity because it was the only way to get into London. I probably wont do anything for charity again until im in my thirties
  • bonjour24
    bonjour24 Posts: 1,119 Member
    Options
    My first half was a practice for my 2nd, 'real' half!

my 2nd half (but first 'real' half), i did get sponsored for. i didn't initially intend to, but my friend had a still birth and i was compelled to do something for her.

my other halves and my marathon are for me, and i won't be requesting sponsorship for them. for me, i need something that's just mine without pressure coming from anywhere else to do it, iykwim.

and nymph is right- you can't ask too often for people to sponsor you. besides, i'm already asking for sponsorship and donations for something else i'm doing (i'm going bald at the end of the month to raise money for cancer research!). i am concerned about having an itchy head for the full at the end of april!
  • Nigerianebony
    Nigerianebony Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    i enter race for both. My job and gym usually sponsors races. i usually volunteer and/or race.
  • rockstarginaa
    rockstarginaa Posts: 1,529 Member
    Options
    I'm running my first marathon for a cause. I don't plan on running more than 2-3 races a year and won't ask more than once a year since it is hard to raise money.
  • bjbixler
    bjbixler Posts: 258 Member
    Options
    I am running my first marathon for a cause: St. Jude Children's Research Hospital

This is the first time I've ever done a race or walk for charity. I have friends that do them every year, like the 3 day, or light the night, or relay for life. I donate when I can, and hope that others do the same for me.

I can't say that I will not run for charity again, but if I do, it will be a while. :o)
  • grinch031
    grinch031 Posts: 1,679
    Options
    I always run just for me. Howver if proceeds for a race go towards a cause, I am more likely to sign up even if its more expensive than another race.
  • MellyLikestoRun
    MellyLikestoRun Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    I've run one half marathon for the National Multiple Sclerosis Society. My dad has MS so this is a cause that is dear to my heart.

My first full marathon will be this June 17th, Father's Day. I will be running it as a Father's Day present to my dad. I plan on sending him an package that he can open on that day. I will be making some sort of ring with tags on them, each tag having a memory of him or of us. One will go on my hydration belt, and one will go to him. I am hoping that the tags/notes will help me through the rough time and that he can know how much he inspires me. I came up with the idea while on my run this morning.