how many cals

Options
paulamarsden
paulamarsden Posts: 483 Member
so ladies, please let me know your height, age, cals set at and whether you eat back your exercise cals.

also what kind of loss you are seeing?

thankyou!!!

im trying to figure out why im not losing x

Replies

• Flixie00
    Flixie00 Posts: 1,195 Member
    Options
    Aged 43, weight 192 lbs and 5ft 10". Eating a net 1210 a day and eating back 200 cals for every 30 mins burned in the gym or all my walking calories. Work out in the gym 4-5 days a week for 105 mins each session and up to this week all cardio (started doing weights and will do weights twice a week going forward), have a rest day and a walking only day over the weekend. I weigh in once every 2 weeks and lost as follows over the last 3 weigh ins (latest first) 6 - 1 - 10. I also have a couple of spike days over the months where I don't log. Arrived at this pattern over time, and it works for me but may not necessarily work for everyone.
  • almc170
    almc170 Posts: 1,093 Member
    Options
    Age 42, 5'9", 171lbs. I eat a net of around 1600 cals, total is usually 1800-1900 with exercise cals. I'm averaging a loss of around 1lb/week. I don't take any medications or have health conditions that might affect weight loss.

Are you seeing other results, such as a loss in inches?
  • paulamarsden
    Options
    not since week 1.

ive lowered my cals in mfp down to 1550... i honestly think i need to do this whilst still in the obese category and i was forcing myself to eat the 1800 or so he told me to eat.

i just couldnt get it all in and was having to top up with extra nuts and stuff which made my fats high.
  • paulamarsden
    Options
    Aged 43, weight 192 lbs and 5ft 10". Eating a net 1210 a day and eating back 200 cals for every 30 mins burned in the gym or all my walking calories. Work out in the gym 4-5 days a week for 105 mins each session and up to this week all cardio (started doing weights and will do weights twice a week going forward), have a rest day and a walking only day over the weekend. I weigh in once every 2 weeks and lost as follows over the last 3 weigh ins (latest first) 6 - 1 - 10. I also have a couple of spike days over the months where I don't log. Arrived at this pattern over time, and it works for me but may not necessarily work for everyone.

how long have you been going at it for? great loss by the way!
  • Flixie00
    Flixie00 Posts: 1,195 Member
    Options
    July 2011, started off at 1500 cals a day and just walking. With what I burn off now, I am eating c1900 cals a day. I enjoy cardio, but now need to work on my flabby bits (which are not actually that bad - I am just vain). Only recently started to eat a bit cleaner, as up until last was still eating sweets. My diary is open if you want to look.

Stick at it, I did not lose that much in my 1st month, so it will work. If someone was just starting out on MFP and exercising, I would recommend that they don't weight themselves until after the 1st month.
  • paulamarsden
    Options
    thankyou for your reply, your diary looks yummy (love M&S!)

i was trying to eat upto the levels of 1800 or so cals and just couldnt do it.

ive planned my day today apart from what i work off in the gym and i feel more comfortable eating like that.

i will carry on this way and see how i go i suppose...x
  • MamaLutt
    MamaLutt Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    I'm 6'0" tall, current weight 221 (starting weight 255). I eat 1200-1800 calories a day. I vary my intake because I've been told it keeps your body guessing and is best for weight loss. I don't eat back any exercise calories. My weight loss has varied considerably from week to week and has been anywhere from 1.5 to 6+ pounds per week. When I have a week where I lose a large amount, I usually back off on my workouts the next week so I only lose a pound or so the following week. As much as I'd love to lose at a super fast rate, I know it's not healthy.

Since I started this journey in part due to a diagnosis of prediabetes, I follow a diabetic diet. I eat at least 7g of protein for every 15g of carbohydrates that I consume and I don't eat sweets. For me, an Atkins caramel chocolate nut roll is a huge treat! :)

I usually drink 12-18 cups of water per day, plus some Crystal Light and/or a diet soda.
  • nw288
    nw288 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I'm 24, 5'11", starting weight 251 current 240. I eat about 1800 net a day, however my job has me on my feet and moving all day so I can get away with eating a little more and still losing weight. I do eat at least some of my exercise calories. I dropped 6 pounds the first week but it has leveled out the last two weeks (I only started on 2/6 so its been less than a month though).
  • cowgirlslikeus86
    cowgirlslikeus86 Posts: 597 Member
    Options
    I am 5'10" 26 years old.
    SW 194.2
    CW 177.8
    GW 150

I have had to play with my calories alot to figure out what gives me a weekly loss.
    I am currently eating 1250 on days I don't work out and on days I do work out, I eat most of my calories back.
    I have a Heart Rate Monitor so I feel pretty good about eating what I burn. I have lost almost 17 lbs in 7 weeks.
    For exercise I run 3-8 miles a day 4-6 days a week and do Tai Chi or floor work (Plyometrics,Crunches,leg lifts,lunges,squats, burpees) on my cross training days 1-2 days a week. Once in a while I will have a day where I truly rest.
    I try to eat my macros 50-25-25 Carbs,Protein,Fat%. I don't cut anything out (But alcohol). I occasionally go over my calories by 500 or so. Seems to happen once a week :-(
    Right now, my daily life is very sedentary unless I work out. Come summer, It will be more active so I will probably have to up my base calories.
  • Riley4ever
    Riley4ever Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    height = 5ft 9.75"
    age = (nearly!) 45 yrs
    daily cals 1200

I always eat my exercise cals back but only because I claim conservative amounts e.g. I do 2 x 1hr moderate paced walks which I claim 75 cals each for. I walk to exercise my dog and to ensure I can have my 'treat' for the day which is a coffee light frappuccino (I'm a bit addicted to this 110 cal drink!). So a total of about 1375-1400 cals per day with exercise (I calculated my BMR and it's about 1550 cals so am assuming will always lose if keep under that and am active).

When I stuck to 1300-1400 cals per day (earlier on in the weight loss process) I was regularly losing 2 to 3 lbs per week. I then had a break over xmas (put on 4.5 lbs) and have been struggling to be as disciplined since so I probably regularly go over by 200+ calories per day but have still been losing 1 lb per week and have managed to lose the weight I put on plus 6 lbs more.

Hope that helps. I think you just have to keep using trial and error until you find something that works for you! btw my top tips are don't guess, always weigh out cereals/pasta/rice etc and some low cal filling meals that I've had a lot have been porridge for breakfast and poached eggs on toast for lunch/dinner. Good luck!
  • paulamarsden
    Options
    thankyou so much ladies

i am weighing food, and using my usa cup measuring cups for veggies etc.

im REALLY struggling to have cereal breakfasts as it gives me heartburn no matter what, so will carry on doing other stuff to.
  • susannamarie
    susannamarie Posts: 2,148 Member
    Options
    I'm at 1450 net. I eat the exercise calories back (all of the ones I claim) but I claim conservative amounts. For a 2-hour aikido class I claim 30-60 minutes depending on perceived exertion. This still usually puts me at 2000+ gross.

Edited: I'm 5' 10". In the first four weeks I lost 8.5 lbs. I haven't weighed myself in a few days though. :D
  • Aprill20
    Aprill20 Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    I am 5'11 and started tracking and excercising on January 30, 2012.

SW: 194.4
    CW: 177.4
    GW: 150

I eat 1200 calories a day and rarely eat my excercise calories back. I have been trying to allow myself one day where I eat not so good - especially on the weekends. Some days, I struggle with hitting 1200 calories which I know is not a good thing. I drink A LOT of water as I feel this helps tremendously with weight loss.

I am doing P90X - the lean version and I think this is what is playing the big part in my weight loss as it is such an intense workout.
  • dbanks80
    dbanks80 Posts: 3,685 Member
    Options
    I am 5'9"

SW 196
    CW 174
    GW 145 - 150

I eat 1200 calories. I do not eat back my exercise calories. If I stay on track i lose around 7lbs per month. But these last 2 months i've been really bad so i keep going up and down 4lbs. I am trying to be good this month.

I will be 44 this month.
  • mrsdizzyd84
    mrsdizzyd84 Posts: 422 Member
    Options
    27 y/o, 5'10", activity=sedentary

SW: 204lbs. Calorie goal was 1690 to lose 1lb a week
    CW: 180ish. Calorie goal is 1500 to lose just over 1lb a week
    GW1: 165
    GW2: 155

Do I eat back my exercise calories? Not anymore because I'd really like to be losing closer to 2 pounds a week. So, I try to make sure that I NET at least 1200. If that means I have to eat back a little of my exercise cals I will, but that's it. I'm losing about 1.5 pounds a week right now. I've lost almost 25lbs since mid-November.

ETA: My macros are set at 40/30/30 carbs/fat/protein my sodium is set to 2,000mg.
  • dbanks80
    dbanks80 Posts: 3,685 Member
    Options
    27 y/o, 5'10", activity=sedentary

SW: 204lbs. Calorie goal was 1690 to lose 1lb a week
    CW: 180ish. Calorie goal is 1500 to lose just over 1lb a week
    GW1: 165
    GW2: 155

Do I eat back my exercise calories? Not anymore because I'd really like to be losing closer to 2 pounds a week. So, I try to make sure that I NET at least 1200. If that means I have to eat back a little of my exercise cals I will, but that's it. I'm losing about 1.5 pounds a week right now. I've lost almost 25lbs since mid-November.

ETA: My macros are set at 40/30/30 carbs/fat/protein my sodium is set to 2,000mg.

Congratulations on the 25lbs loss! :drinker:
  • ImJDLookatME
    Options
    I am 24 6'1 and currently stick to 1200 calories. I alternate between 60 minutes of cardio and strength training a day which burns about 200-700 calories a day. I don't eat back my exercise calories. My current weight is 151 and I started at 178. I average about 1.5-2 pounds a week loss.
  • Arani70
    Arani70 Posts: 84
    Options
    I'm 5'10 - 19 years old

SW = 200
    CW = 187
    GW = 150

I only started to try and lose weight on the 4th February so I have lost 13 pounds in 27 days which is 3.25 a week.

I work out every day including 40 minutes on the treadmill walking/jogging and I try to burn at least 300 calories each time.

I also do 'Hip Hop Abs' every day and have been for 2 weeks and I love it! It is so much fun!

I also do 30 minutes of Pilates every second day to improve my flexibly an build up my core (definitely recommend '20 Minute Workout Winsor Pilates" (you can find it on youtube!)

Nutrition Wise I try to stick to 1200 cals a day and don't eat back my exercise cals (I always make sure I eat at least 1000 cals a day and on average a day can go from 1000 cals to 1300 cals)

Here are some of the foods I avoid: Junk Food, Bread, Pasta, Potatoes, Juice, Alcohol, Red meat, Rice.

I eat a lot of: Fish, Chicken, Baby spinach leaves, egg whites, Fruits and Veges, WATER (at least 9 glasses a day), Apple cider vinegar, Green tea (2 cups a day), Almonds and tuna

I am not going to stick to avoiding all foods for the rest of my life. When I reach my goal weight I am going to slowly try to incorporate more carbs into my diet but my diet now seems to be working for me.

Hope this helps :D
  • alyson820
    alyson820 Posts: 448 Member
    Options
    5'10
    23 years old
    sw: 200
    cw: 183
    gw: 140

I stick to 1200-1330 cals a day, and usually jog for a half hour every day. I don't eat my exercise cals back, and I don't log my exercise.

I lose about two pounds a week. I started on January 1.
  • JoolieW68
    JoolieW68 Posts: 1,879 Member
    Options
    so ladies, please let me know your height, age, cals set at and whether you eat back your exercise cals.

also what kind of loss you are seeing?

thankyou!!!

im trying to figure out why im not losing x

I'm 43, 5' 10", and currently 163 pounds. When I started I was eating around 1500-1700 cals per day (before exercise) but was not using this site to track it, then I wasn't counting nor using any site. In November, when I was around 187, I started using MFP and my cals were set around 1450ish.

Each time I lost a couple of pounds I would reset my goals (always kept it to lose 1.5 pounds per week), but by just going in and clicking save again it would drop a few cals off my calorie goal. At the end, just before I switched to maintenance, I was at 1400 calories.

I try to burn at least 400 calories a day, running and/or walking, and I usually eat some of those back...but not much, certainly not all.

Hope that helps.