Diagnosis questions

Options
Hello all.

I'm in a conundrum. I have been diagnosed and then un-diagnosed with PCOS in the past several years. When I was diagnosed, I weighed about 150. Now I'm at 205 and feel like the weight won't stop packing on. The gyno put me on Metformin, which was horrible and did NOT make my period come on its own. I eventually just stopped taking it because, again, it made me feel horrible. Another doctor did a fasting blood glucose test and the results were fine, so he said I didn't have PCOS and didn't need to be taking the Metformin anyway. I do, however, have almost all of the symptoms. Hirsutism, no periods, sleep apnea, etc.

Now that I'm up there in weight, I'm wondering about trying Metformin again. Exercise "gave" me my period twice this past year since I've been off the Pill (I had been on the Pill for almost ten years) but now that I'm eating less and exercising more regularly, nothing's going on down there. I'm stumped.

I have had my thyroid tested and I also made my doctor test me for other rare disorders and everything comes back fine. Just getting a little frustrated.

Does Metformin and exercise seem to help you? And, I'm going to be 29 in May and want to have a baby before it's too late. Has anyone gotten pregnant by just taking Metformin or the like and dieting? (My previous marriage, I took Clomid for a week or so...that also made me feel horrible. Would like to not do that again.)

Replies

• ged630
    ged630 Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    Metformin did not help me in any way but I know it helps some people. I gained weight like a mad women once I stopped taking the pill. My Dr did a pelvic ultrasound but to family history of ovarian cancer and this positively diagnosed me with PCOS. I am not on any medication at this time.

I took clomid for about 7 years to have my two children. I found the OV watch with my last child that took all the pressure of knowing when we should be trying. I would recommend it to anyone. However you most likely will need to be on some sort of fertility medication to ovulate. At least that's what my doctor has told me. Eating right and exercise can help but it was never enough for me.

As far as weight loss the only thing that has worked for me is to stay low on carbs.

Good luck!!
  • KrisP4
    KrisP4 Posts: 4
    Options
    I was 23 when I got married and starting trying for a baby at 25 when nothing was happening my dr diagnosed me with PCOS and told me that it was going to be hard but not impossible to have a baby. She put me on Clomid, didn't work, put me on another, didn't work until January 2007 she put me on Metformin. In May 2007 I found out I was 5 weeks pregnant. I have a beautiful 4 year old boy now. So don't give up! There is a med for you! Metformin just happened to be my miracle at the time. She won't put me back on it because she said it did make me gain weight. I'm still trying to figure out what eating habits work for me, but I haven't had a regular period since I went off the pill in 2004, I've given up hope in that area.
  • befitbyjune
    Options
    Yes, I did get pregnant and I was only on metformin less than 6 months. I had a son in college at the time and was not trying to get pregnant. PCOS was causing havoc in my life. My blood pressure was uncontrolled, I was pre-diabetic and obese.
    Once I started the Metformin, I lost weight and my BP was under control. Then during a visit to check my fibroids, they discovered a heart beat!
    I thank GOD for Metformin because it gave me a precious daughter.
  • marybrry4
    marybrry4 Posts: 12
    Options
    Omg, that's so weird. My BP has been out of control recently. Usually, it's pretty low. Like 112/70. Then I had a headache for a week up the side of my head and I had a nurse at work check my BP. It was 138/90. I made a dr. appointment (and my luck with doctors has sucked) and they him-hawed around and "Oh, it's probably just stress". I never thought of it being a symptom of PCOS or even hormone related. That's going on my "Problem List" for the next time I see a gyno.
  • annabee111
    annabee111 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I was diagnosed with PCOS in January 2011. At that point I had not had a period in over 6 months and before that my period had lasted for four months solid without stopping. After talking with my doctor (who is the "go to' doctor around here for PCOS) she said that she was fine with my period only occurring once every three months or more with the use of Metformin. Thankfully I only skip a month here and there and the sickness that comes along with the Metformin went away after a few months. I was told that it was unlikely that I would have children of my own but there is always a chance that it may happen. My husband and I have decided that if we are not blessed with a child of our own we will adopt one day. I do not have issues with sugar and do not have diabetes. The symptoms of PCOS can be anything on the list but doesn't have to include all of them. I only have a few of the symptoms but am positively diagnosed. I hope any of this information helps!
  • webelievefamily
    Options
    Have you went to see a endocrinologist? Preferably one who sees women with PCOS. Ask them to test your androgen and blood glucose levels for signs of insulin resistance. Other hormones you may have tested are luteinizing hormone, estrogen, progesterone, and thyroid hormones. The doctor may even order an ultrasound of your ovaries to see if you may have cysts. Good luck!
  • webelievefamily
    Options
    I had an HSG done to get pregnant with my first daughter. For my second daughter, I went on metformin. The first month I received my period I went on clomid and my husband and I had sex every day from day 10 through day 20. I had been on clomid before, but hadn't been on metformin too! Plus, my doctor said you are more likely to get pregnant if you lose 10 percent of your weight.
  • marybrry4
    Options
    Well, had an appointment today with a new doctor. She's going to check my glucose and insulin, testosterone levels, and my thyroid. Probably going to the hospital tomorrow to get the blood drawn.

The look on the doctor's face when I said, "My last doctor said my testosterone was high, but she figured it was 'just the way I am'," was PRICELESS.
  • webelievefamily
    Options
    Let us know how everything goes. :)
  • BritskyB
    BritskyB Posts: 13
    Options
    I went through the same thing. I was diagnosed at 16 with it, then a few years later I had changed doctors and they refused to agree that I had PCOS. At the same time, I refused to believe I didn't.. I had almost EVERY symptom and was already being treated for it. I had been put on the BCP and actually lost weight. So, I asked for a referral to an endo at the University. Without having to do any further testing, the dr. confirmed it by checking my LH/FSH ratio, getting a list of my symptoms, and looking at a transvag ultrasound I had had done. The regular dr had said everything was fine in my ultrasound, while the endo saw that I had an enlarged ovary. Hang in there! Be patient, but insistant! There are a lot of doctors out there who dont know as much as they'd like to think about PCOS and diagnosis/treatment. I did my research, got copies of test results and checked some levels out before going to the endo so I could have questions answered. Also.. were you on a BCP and Metformin when you had your blood tests done? Perhaps they were normal THEN because you were on meds to adjust them. Perhaps they need to let your body go without the meds for a few months to get an accurate level of how your body does on its own. Keep us posted and good luck!
  • marybrry4
    Options
    Um, just got off the phone with the doctor's office since I hadn't heard anything. They said all my tests came back within normal limits. So, nothing wrong with thyroid, nothing wrong with testosterone, nothing wrong with glucose.

I'm at the end of my rope. WTF is wrong with me?
  • highland_sky
    highland_sky Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    I think this is part of the issue that it is a 'syndrome' more than a disease. All my blood work is with in normal ranges and always is. All the 'typical systems' are light or non existent, the biggest issue is just the lack of cycle. I do wonder what else it may be, but where the drs office can only say if it is not anything else, it has to be PCOS.