new in group :) question about calories

Options
Hello everyone,

I am a mom of 2 children, 5 year old girl and 6 month old boy. I am still breastfeeding, and I am trying to find information on how my calorie intake should be. shouldn't I need to add a bit more since I am breastfeeding.

Hope you have answers for me :)

Replies

• kristinL16
    kristinL16 Posts: 401 Member
    Options
    Yes, you need more calories. What I have read is that if you are exclusively breastfeeding you should add 500 calories per day. I have also read to stay at about 1800 calories a day, at least. I just started a few weeks ago and MFP has my daily goal at 1200. I add 500 per day (I choose a "food" item that subracts 500 calories). If I am still hungry I willl eat more up to 1800 but most days I don't need to do that and am actually under 1700. I don't know how hard I should be trying to get to the 1800 mark in order to not have any negative effects on my milk supply, but so far I haven't lost an excessive amount of weight so I am sticking with it.
  • dagbjortjons
    Options
    Thanks so much :)
    I am only breastfeeding svo I can safely add the extra 500 cal!
    MFP gave me a total goal just about the same amount of calories as yours. That's just not enough, I just felt tired and hungry by the end of the day.
    Don't worry about the weight loss, I have not lost that much weight either. People always talk about loosing a lot of weight while breast feeding, but the body actually tries hard to keep all the supplies he can get, so that´s why women don't se a drastic difference, even though their diet and exercise is excellent :)

Thanks for your help and advice!