Training for a half/full?

Options
izerop
izerop Posts: 69 Member
OK, so hello everyone, never introduced myself as of yet. Little background, I first got introduced to long distance running in the Army when I ran a 10k with some friends in about 40 minutes. I was in my prime then. However about a year later I had a motorcycle accident, tore my ACL, had surgery in 2006. Anyway, I am just finishing school, and I started running again.

I am looking for advice suggestions for running a half marathon this year, perhaps a full by next year. Currently I am running about 4 to 5 miles at 6mph - 6.7mph depending on the day, weather, what not. (Also trying to lose all that weight I gained from not exercising for the past 5 years).

Anyway, anyone have any suggestions? I seem to get stuck right about at the 5/6 mile range.

Thanks in advance!

Replies

• nikkibyrdRN
    nikkibyrdRN Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    There are tons of training programs out there! www.runnersworld.com is a great resource. I am training for a half using Runners World Smart Coach. Hal Higdon has a training program and I know people who have used that and liked it. I know there are others, but I don't know much about them. Most of the programs are based off of your last race time and your current running schedule. Good luck!
  • josh0403
    josh0403 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I have used the Hal Higdon programs for 3 half marathons and 2 fulls and they work great for me. I’m just starting the half program again for the Fargo Marathon in May. The good news is you’re right on schedule! The first “long” run in Higdon’s program is 5 miles.
    Higdon slowly moves you up if you follow the program. And to be honest, if the run calls for 7 miles and you can only run 6: walk the last one. Or better yet, SLOW DOWN. If you can’t run 7 at the pace you’re running, there’s nothing wrong with slowing down. Or working some walking breaks into the run.
    As soon as I finish running my half in May, I’ll start the full training program for the Chicago Marathon in October. You could do the same, or another half. I did two or three halves before doing a full. The nice thing about going directly from a half to a full is you’re already 65% or the way trained for a full (assuming a long run of 20 miles).
  • mlb929
    mlb929 Posts: 1,974 Member
    Options
    I added P90X to my training with Running and really had major improvements in my running. I did doubles on weight days or skipped a cardio day to get my running in by following a running training program. The cross training really made a world of difference for me to race train.
  • izerop
    Options
    Thanks for all the suggestions! I did find this one out there for free, but not sure it was good or what not. http://www.marathonrookie.com/half-marathon-training.html Let me know what you guys think of this plan.
  • josh0403
    josh0403 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I'm sure the marathon rookie program will work, but I don't think I'd use it.
    Weeks 3, 4, and 5 take the long run from 6 to 8 to 10 miles. That some seriously big jumps.
    Plus, you don't get any "step-back" weeks to recover. I'm used to more like 6, 7, 4, 9, 10, 6. Those recovery weeks really help me out.
    Finally, a three week long taper for a HALF marathon would be excessive for me. One week, two at the most.

I have no personal experience with this training plan, but I can tell it's not the one for me. If you decide to use it, come back and update us on how it went.
  • izerop
    Options
    I am looking into the Hal Hidgon plan actually... You are right, I like the recovery week idea. Thanks again!
  • izerop
    Options
    Here is his website plan that I think will work for me... though I am worried about that jump from 5 to 9 :-)

http://www.halhigdon.com/training/51143/Marathon-Novice-Supreme-Training-Program

Awesome... thanks.
  • ebaymommy
    ebaymommy Posts: 1,067 Member
    Options
    I think the Hal Higdon plans are excellent for new runners. I have always followed them when doing my first run of any distance.
  • CoachsWife4
    CoachsWife4 Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    I'm working towards a half now. I've NEVER been an athlete and only took up running about one year ago using the C25K running schedule. I've been using Jeff Galloway's training schedule: http://www.jeffgalloway.com/training/half_marathon.html

I have really enjoyed it! GOOD LUCK TO YOU!
  • thepetiterunner
    thepetiterunner Posts: 1,238 Member
    Options
    I've used the Hal Higdon plans for both my half and full marathons. :) Good luck to you!
  • grinch031
    grinch031 Posts: 1,679
    Options
    Keep doing your 4/5 mile runs. But each week have a long run that gets progressively longer. So start off with a 6 mile long run and then increase it by 1 mile each week or two, or whatever is comfortable for you and depending on the time frame you have to work with. The harder it is for you to hit the distance, the slower your pace should be. I wouldn't worry about starting a training plan until you are comfortable with your running and have a race picked out (preferably at least 3-4 months away).

But given that you once had very good endurance by your 10K time, assuming your ACL is now in good health, you should have no problem building up endurance again. I wish I could run a 10K in 40 minutes and I've been working at it for about 4 years now.
  • bonjour24
    bonjour24 Posts: 1,119 Member
    Options
    I used the Hal Higdon plan for my first halves. Was awesome!

I had a little time to spare, so I'm currently in week 13 of the cool runnings 20 week full marathon training programme (where the longest training run is marathon distance).

That's what I have done, but I can recommend having a scooch around at some other training programmes and finding one that you like the look of. it'll be easier to stick with it if you've made a considered approach to choosing it in the first place.

good luck!

joni