How do you handle your cravings?

Options
I thought it would be excellent to continue on the topic of last night, so everyone can share what works for them.

Some of my ways:

I don't keep it in the house (chips, cookies, candy) - I bake... so when I crave chocolate or sweet stuff I think it is work the 45 min of putting it together? and then the dishes to wash afterwards? If the craving is not strong enough to want to bother, a glass of water or piece of fruit will usually work.

Same with soda, it's not in my house. I may have a glass when I am out and about, or at work (which I try to always have a small/ or a can - not bottle) and that takes care of the "fix"

As for the munchies at night.. I keep the 100 cal popcorn in stock, and I can always sprinkle a little parm cheese and a couple shots of hot sauce in the bag to spice things up. :)

So what works for you?

Replies

• bettyclv
    bettyclv Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    I do the same with the popcorn, my struggle is harder because of my expectant daughter so there are always high fat and high calorie snacks in the house, but I look at it this way, she can lose her baby weights 25 pounds of it once she delivers and I will not lose a thing, so that helps to keep me away from those things. I also have two grand babies who visit and eat all the time but I am trying to get everyone on the healthy snack trail. And I know they can only eat what i buy and if they want anything else they will have to buy it for themselves. I like candy lately, but go for the hard candy or peppermint and I keep lots of gum and water on hand and opt out for fruit or small salad and yogart also. Baked this and baked that if it is not baked I know I cant have it. Even with the baked stuff you have to the sodium like in the chips. Just cause it says baked does not mean it is low in fat or sodium
  • AmberLeighD
    AmberLeighD Posts: 112
    Options
    I congratulate the effort you are putting into your lifestyle. The food I eat sets the example for my child. When I was pregnant with Amelia the doctor told me if I craved a soda be sure that I followed it with a glass of water. I still do that to this day, If I have a soda means an extra glass of water.

I feel putting more whole grains into your body keeps you fuller longer... I substituted my spaggetti and pasta for Barilla whole wheat and I find it takes less to fill me up.

I also have to remember I can only change myself, what goes into my body is something that I can control. Just like the food diary on here if you don't write in the truth, and you say you worked out 30 min but you only did 20 min ... you only cheat yourself. Being brutality honest w/ ones self is a hard hurdle to jump.

Keep up the great work!
  • bettyclv
    bettyclv Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    ok I will try the barilla pasta because I love pasta but never tried the wheat I just cut back on the regular pasta. Yes I try to tell my children that all the time. Never think you are fooling any one or tricking anyone with your lies, Because at the end of the day the only one that ends up the fool would be your yourself and you. And you are only hurting yourself. I in it to win and cheaters are not winners. And I am a winner for sure. On my journey and I am not looking back only ahead and the great things to come....thank the Lord.
  • editnonnalynn
    editnonnalynn Posts: 495 Member
    Options
    Speaking of pastas and lifestyle changes...I found these recipes on MFP (credits given)

Tofu shirataki noodles cost $2.29/package at Publix but I can get them at the local Asian markets for only $1.99. Fresh bean sprouts are $3.49/pound at Kroger, $3.99/pound at Publix— and only $1.19/pound at every Asian market in town (there are a total of 5 Asian markets in the next town over).
    Hopefully you can find an inexpensive source for bean sprouts because they are SO versatile. I eat about one pound per day. If you have to travel far for then go ahead and buy 10 or 20 pounds or so. They can be frozen for up to 12 months if you blanch them first— shorter periods if you don’t. I go through 10 pounds in a week so I just zip lock ‘em without blanching, freeze them— and pull them out, as needed.
    I try different concoctions and I must say that I have stumbled upon my best one yet, tonight.
    Here is my recipe for the ultimate “169 Calorie BIG BIG BIG Bowl Of Noodles”:
    Put your favorite non-stick frying pan on the stove, spray with non-stick spray and turn the jet to “HIGH.”
    As it heats up, rinse the 1/2 pound package of tofu shirataki noodles in a colander with hot water and dump them into the frying pan.
    As they start to cook, rinse 4 cups (that’s a LOT) of bean sprouts in the colander with cold water and dump them into the frying pan with the noodles.
    Fry on HIGH, uncovered (that part is important), turning with a spatula, occasionally.
    They will NOT stick to your pan. They are goof proof. They require VERY little attention.
    While the bean sprouts and noodles are frying, thoroughly mix the following ingredients in a bowl:
    lite soy sauce (1 tbsp), kimchee base or some other hot red sauce that you like the flavor of (1 tbsp), Anne’s Old Fashioned Chicken Base (3 tsp) OR 3 chicken bouillon cubes, McCormick Perfect Pinch Garlic and Herb Seasoning (1 tsp) and garlic powder (2 tsp).
    Add a pinch of water if the mixture is too thick.
    Once the bean sprouts begin to brown remove the pan from the heat and pour the spicy mixture over the noodles. Mix thoroughly into the noodles and bean sprouts with the spatula and serve.
    The bean sprouts and tofu shirataki noodles work together to create a *really* good noodle feel in the mouth. The mixture is a bit high in sodium but you’re much better off eating this than potato chips for a snack.
    Your big bowl of noodles will contain 11g of carbs (of which 5g are fiber, so it only has 6 net grams of carbohydrate), 4g of fat and 10g of protein.
    I ate the entire bowl and I feel like I just finished Thanksgiving dinner.
    Did I mention that the entire bowl was only 169 calories?
    Sure I did— but it was worth mentioning again!

-Chelle
    Edited by finallychelle on Wed 08/03/11 10:31 PM

Just tried this tonight and it is AWESOME! I know a lot of you have tried the cauliflower substitute for mashed potatoes, but you can sub it for rice, too!
    "Cauli-rice" (or Rice-aflower?!)
    You will need:
    1 head of fresh cauliflower
    a food processor/blender
    a microwavable bowl big enough to hold your final yield
    Do this:
    Cut the florets off of the cauliflower. You can use the stem as well, just cut it into manageable chunks. Process raw florets (do NOT cook first!) until they are uniform "grains" and pile into the bowl.
    Microwave for 3-5 minutes, uncovered, until cauliflower is cooked. DO NOT add water, seasonings or butter before cooking, or you'll end up with mush. Just microwave the processed cauliflower all by itself. Any seasonings can be added after cooking. Fluff with a fork, add spices, serve with anything you would make rice with!
    I made a low fat/low cal shrimp creole (which I can also post if anyone wants it) and served over this tonight. I felt like I was cheating! I added to the whole bowl of "rice" a few shakes of land o'lakes butter sprinkles, garlic powder, salt and black pepper.
    Per cup (with butter sprinkles) - 25-30 calories per cup!
    I'm going to try this with curry and ginger and also as a mock fried rice. Will report results!
    Edited by CurvyCowgirl on Thu 01/12/12 12:07 AM
  • AmberLeighD
    Options
    @nonnalynn I opened a place on here for Recipes so we can share them... would you please re-post this there?

I didn't know about the Cauli-rice tis interesting. :)
  • AmberLeighD
    Options
    When I bake... I make sure as soon as it's cool that I start dividing it up.. so it goes out my door. My neighbor, a friend, Amelia's friends at school, work,... they all get yummy treats.... and I get my one or two servings and don't have to stare at it ... and listen to it beckon me to come and have a "nibble" that makes me devour the whole thing. LOL :smile: