Leg Spasticity/ Cramping

Options
One of my big MS issues has always been problems with spasticity and spasms- particularly in my legs (originally just my left, but now both are affected). Although it sticks around pretty consistently -it never completely seems to go away- the severity fluctuates, and mostly it's manageable (or at least I've learned to live with it). For a while now, it's really only been bothering me at night. I've had kinda pulsating tremors and stiffness that make sleep less than ideal, but I can deal with it. The past couple of days though, it's been hitting hard during the day.

I've been trying to add some circuit training (Jillian MIchaels's 30DS) into my exercise routine along with some daily time on my elliptical or stationary bike. I've noticed that I can't go straight from jumping jacks to jumping rope without pretty intense cramping, so I've rearranged the order of some of her circuits, and the stiffness is making the lunges and other exercises requiring balance more challenging. But I'm trying to stick with it. I don't want to give in to this- even if it means making some modifications.

I have prescriptions for both baclofen and zanaflex. A higher dose knocks me out completely, but at a lower dose neither seem to be 100% effective, and I hate the semi-drowsy/ loopy feeling I still get with them, so I try to avoid them during the day. Anyone else have spasticity issues and any tips for dealing with it? Or helpful hints in the exercise department?

Replies

• Benji49
    Benji49 Posts: 419 Member
    Options
    I get the leg spasticity at night, but like you said you learn to live with it. The only question I would have is are your keeping your fluid intake high? I know the more fluid I drink the less problems I have.
  • Hootsmamma
    Hootsmamma Posts: 254 Member
    Options
    I too suffer from terrible leg spasticity. It was just my left leg--now it's both. Usually happens at night, but now it's also occuring during the day time hours. I have tried all the drugs out there with very limited success: Baclofen, Zanaflex (tizanidine), diazepam, neurontin and skelaxin..to name a few. They don't work for me. And my current neurologist just keep prescribing more and more of the same drugs for the same problem (currently he has me on Baclofen, Zanaflex and Neurontin)-- large doses of all 3!! I have found something that Does work for me--but he won't prescribe it for me as he does not believe in it. It's called "Burst therapy" or steriod burst therapy. It is a one time IV of 1 ml of steiods given over 1 hr and done every 4-6 weeks. I don't really like having to get an IV every 4 weeks--but it sure beats being in pain every night and being out of it on drugs (loopy )--every day. Now,....to just find myself a new neurologist who will work with me and think outside the box!

I wish you all the best as spasticity is probably my biggest complaint with having MS---that and I have Awful veins!--which makes getting IV's really hard if not impossible at times! Hang in there...
  • jgsm
    jgsm Posts: 16
    Options
    Benji, thanks for the suggestion. I make sure I get at least 9 cups of water each day, but looking back at my food diary over the past month, I see my water intake has fallen from about 13-15 cups/day to between 9 -11. So, I'll try and ramp that back up and see if it helps any.
  • rellington27
    Options
    I have leg spasms as well. Especially at night. One thing I have found to help is making sure that I stretch my lower back. Especially the muscle that's just under your rib cage and attaches at the top of your hip. I need to look that up LOL! If you can stretch and get that area to relax then your glutes, hamstring and so on stay calm. I hate taking meds as well and try everything else first. I hope this helps ;)
  • psmd
    psmd Posts: 764 Member
    Options
    I don't have cramping/spasticity myself (mostly just tingling esp. with working out), but at work I see a lot of spinal cord injury patients who have tons of spasticity issues, and one patient that sticks out in my mind who is on minimal medications--he does daily stretching every morning, seems to work for him really well. Sorry to hear about it but it sounds like you're doing a lot to work around it!