Calf Injury

Options
Incurred a sharp pain in my inner left calf muscle while running and then a mile later a sharp pain in my outer (lower) left calf muscle the second week of January 2012. I went to the Orthopedist who simply said to lay off of running or impact for 6 weeks that it sounded like a calf strain (no bruising). I layed off 6 weeks and then went out and ran 5 miles. After 3.5 miles it felt like knots or marbles in those 2 places and I did finish the run but had alot of calf soreness and it was painful to push off. I layed out another week and last night I ran (even slower) approximately 2.5 miles before I got that "rolling marbles" feeling in those same two places. I was afraid I was going to tear my calf again so I just stopped and walked back to my vehicle. Does anyone have any suggestions as to how to get over this hump? It is extremely frustrating because I have had to cancel 2 races already that I have registered for. I do have an appointment with another Orthopedic doctor tomorrow but would like to find out if anyone else has had this problem and what they have done for results. Thanks a bunch!

Replies

• SPautler
    SPautler Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I have had calf problems before and they are tough to deal with especially when you are training for a race. The one thing I suggest to you is to ice the sore calf after each run. Ice baths work too, but I'm not that brave...lol. Streaching before and after a good work out is important too..but most important is to listen to your body, because believe me if you continue to run with an injury, it'll take even more time to heal and get to 100%. Hope this helps and happy running.

Steve
  • mlb929
    mlb929 Posts: 1,974 Member
    Options
    The foam roller has been my best friend for sore calfs after a calf injury. I also find that a great deep tissue massage by someone trained in therapeutic massage can do wonders for the scar tissue in calfs.