Giving your body type on a personals ad

Options
Dorianlg
Dorianlg Posts: 71 Member
I'm sorry if this has been asked before/recently, but I'm stuck. OK Cupid wants you to state your body shape/type. Now, I've always put down that I'm a little extra. I'm 5'10, about 182 right now, which is 10 pounds higher than the top of the healthy weight range for a woman my height. That's a little extra. If you see me, *thin* is not the description that comes to you. I've got a 35" waist. That's not thin. I don't think anyone would describe me as "fat" either. I'm just a really big girl. I've got wide shoulders, DDD boobs and a belly.
My question is, at what point do I get to say that I'm "average" or "fit"? What is an average person? How fit do you have to be before you can describe yourself that way? Do you run a 5k? 10k?
I really don't want to describe myself inaccurately on a personals ad. Eventually someone is going to see you in person and if you've described yourself inaccurately they're only going to get even MORE turned off. But I don't want to turn guys off before I've even met them because they think I'm secretly fat with flattering photos because I've described myself as "a little extra."

Replies

• christine24t
    christine24t Posts: 6,064 Member
    Options
    I always say "a few extra pounds." First, I think that's true, but if the person doesn't, at least they will be pleasantly surprised!
    Average is sooo hard to describe!
  • JanieJack
    JanieJack Posts: 3,831 Member
    Options
    Dorianlg, I saw your photo and honestly I think you would be average. Of course, you could be like me: I have a great hourglass figure but when I'd meet a guy from online he'd always be surprised to see that I'm an hourglass 14/16. From my pictures he would think I was more like an 8/10.

Here's the problem with saying "a few extra pounds" : most people who put that on online dating sites are very overweight. So guys who are looking for an average or thin girl won't even see you in their search. You don't look very overweight. I see a little middle but you really look good! So don't sell yourself short ;-)
  • Carl01
    Carl01 Posts: 9,370 Member
    Options
    I have always said average for myself,obviously am not ripped nor am I obese.
    Average has a lot wider range for a guy though.

As far as you...after looking at your profile pic I think saying average is fine,maybe curvy too as you have a nice figure.
    Not sure how many pics you can upload but take one in nicely fitted clothes and post that to your profile.
    I doubt anyone will complain or say you were not being honest.
  • bruintamer
    bruintamer Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    Yes I agree...average would be the term for you to choose. I've had discussions with different men on this...everyone has different definitions of the same word. Men I know seem to think "curvy" really means really overweight. >_< So that's why I picked the term, "Used Up" in my OK Cupid profile...lmfao. I have full body shots so most people know I'm just kidding about a used up body type... actually does anyone even know what that's supposed to mean?!
  • BondBomb
    BondBomb Posts: 1,781 Member
    Options
    I have always said average for myself,obviously am not ripped nor am I obese.
    Average has a lot wider range for a guy though.

As far as you...after looking at your profile pic I think saying average is fine,maybe curvy too as you have a nice figure.
    Not sure how many pics you can upload but take one in nicely fitted clothes and post that to your profile.
    I doubt anyone will complain or say you were not being honest.
    I always put curvy. Though I was told by a guy that 'big girls use curvy as code'. Uh his words not mine.
    To the OP - I would think curvy too. Don't dare put fit unless you are a swimsuit model. Even if you are fit..thats code for guys looking for 'skinny'.
    Does my cold medicine post make any sense here.
  • Carl01
    Carl01 Posts: 9,370 Member
    Options
    Yes I agree...average would be the term for you to choose. I've had discussions with different men on this...everyone has different definitions of the same word. Men I know seem to think "curvy" really means really overweight. >_< So that's why I picked the term, "Used Up" in my OK Cupid profile...lmfao. I have full body shots so most people know I'm just kidding about a used up body type... actually does anyone even know what that's supposed to mean?!

There is a somewhat delicious irony in a dating site having the term "Used Up" as a description. :laugh:
  • MissingMinnesota
    MissingMinnesota Posts: 7,486 Member
    Options
    They even use "curvy" on the forums here to be plus sized. Go with average. I tend to think of average as anywhere between size 6-12. A few extra pounds and curvy are both overweight it most guys eyes on dating sites.
  • solman66
    solman66 Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    A few extra pounds and curvy are both overweight it most guys eyes on dating sites.

Only if they don't provide a full body shot. If a profile says curvy and there's only an up close picture of the face, I'm going to assume she's hiding something and she probably means overweight but was afraid to put that. Honestly, I think the body type is more of a confidence level indicator than anything.
    Be confident in yourself.
  • La_Amazona
    La_Amazona Posts: 4,855 Member
    Options
    On one site I have a few extra pounds.
    On another I put curvy. :tongue:

I'm 5'9, size 12-14. I'm not thin at all. I have meat on me, especially legs and hips.

I was stumped but eh... I have full body shots on both sites.
  • DMZ_1
    DMZ_1 Posts: 2,889 Member
    Options
    This is how I read body type words on a dating website. I have talked with other guys about this topic, and the majority see the categorizations as I do.

Average = overweight
    Curvy = overweight
    A few extra pounds = Really overweight
    Prefer Not to Say = Overweight
    Athletic/Fit = Either Athletic/Fit or Average
    Skinny/Thin = Skinny/Thin

Generally speaking, we adjust one category upwards to what you say, unless you have strong photographic evidence to match your words. Full body shots help. I find two piece bathing suits/bikini shots helpful as well.

My intent with this post is not to criticize women. I'm sure males probably exaggerate their physiques as well.
  • La_Amazona
    Options
    This is how I read body type words on a dating website. I have talked with other guys about this topic, and the majority see the categorizations as I do.

Average = overweight
    Curvy = overweight

Generally speaking, we adjust one category upwards to what you say, unless you have strong photographic evidence to match your words. Full body shots help. I find two piece bathing suits/bikini shots helpful as well.

My intent with this post is not to criticize women. I'm sure males probably exaggerate their physiques as well.

YIKES!!!!

Well my body shots are proof of how I'm describing myself, I suppose.
  • DMZ_1
    DMZ_1 Posts: 2,889 Member
    Options
    Yea, full body shots are a good thing.

There are women who claim Average but it is clear from their pics that they are overweight.

Likewise, the other side of the table probably isn't that great either. I'm sure women are dealing with guys that exaggerate as well. Do any of you ladies have stories about that? I'd be glad to hear your perspective.
  • La_Amazona
    Options
    My Saturday night guy had "athletic" yet he was thin.. very thin.

:noway:

I notice a lot of guys put the "athletic" on there and when I think of athletic I think of muscles. Hmm..
  • Lizi19
    Lizi19 Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    My Saturday night guy had "athletic" yet he was thin.. very thin.

:noway:

I notice a lot of guys put the "athletic" on there and when I think of athletic I think of muscles. Hmm..

Yup, same has happened to me. Guys also always add a couple of inches to their real height!

I used to put average on my profile, but I would change it to thin whenever I was feeling confident. According to the charts here, I should have left it at thin.

OP, Average seems like the best choice :)
  • JanieJack
    Options
    Average = overweight
    Curvy = overweight

So if you're really just average and really just have a "few extra pounds" he might not even look into your profile if he has his filter set for only the Skinny/Thin or Athletic/Fit... because everything else communicates to him "Overweight."
  • kimi131
    kimi131 Posts: 1,058 Member
    Options
    I think with only 10 lbs over the normal bmi, you are definitely in the average body type category. I just make sure to post a lot of pictures of myself on the sites, full length and all, with the date the pic was taken so they get an accurate idea of what I look like.
  • JanieJack
    Options
    I used to put average on my profile, but I would change it to thin whenever I was feeling confident. According to the charts here, I should have left it at thin.

Yeah, La_Amazona you should have! I used to put "athletic" on mine with full body pix (because I'm still larger than your average marathoner, but hey, I can run one) and you are definitely smaller than me. And hot too.
  • Dorianlg
    Dorianlg Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    Thanks guys, this was actually incredibly helpful. It never occurred to me that guys would change their searches so that I never even showed up. I also need to take a good full body shot, which may mean finally asking my ex to give my digital camera back. Probably not going to tell him why! :D

I don't understand why people lie about their heights. Men AND women do it. Of course, some women I meet are just in denial about how not tall they are. Dear perfectly tall but not quite that tall ladies, there is nothing wrong with 5'9. It's just not 5'10.

I think some guys get confused and say "I'm an athletic person. I run every day. I'll put athletic." No, the profile wants to know if you have an athletic *build.* Which means muscles. Nothing wrong with skinny. I've outweighed every guy I've ever dated, including the last one at 6'4.

I appreciate honesty in profiles. No one wants to date a liar OR someone who is deluded about themselves. Not sure which is worse, actually.
  • Showgirlbody
    Showgirlbody Posts: 402 Member
    Options
    Average = overweight
    Curvy = overweight

So if you're really just average and really just have a "few extra pounds" he might not even look into your profile if he has his filter set for only the Skinny/Thin or Athletic/Fit... because everything else communicates to him "Overweight."

Yup. That's the thing I noticed, men don't even see your profile unless it's thin or athletic. There is a large range. Lots of people say well the average woman is size 12/14 so put average but I don't want someone to be disappointed who expects smaller. But a lot of people put a few extra when they should put BBW. I hate that someone who may be attracted to me won't even see my profile but all I can do is put my full body pic up and if they see my profile at all, they can decide if I'm too fat for them. Lol
  • La_Amazona
    Options

Yeah, La_Amazona you should have! I used to put "athletic" on mine with full body pix (because I'm still larger than your average marathoner, but hey, I can run one) and you are definitely smaller than me. And hot too.

you didn't quote me.. lol that's Lizi!!