Daily Calories Increased with exercise?

Options
aldousmom
aldousmom Posts: 382 Member
I find this annoying when trying to see how many calories I have left. I want to stick to my daily calories goal ONLY, not have it fluctuate because I worked out. That's so idiotic...calories in/ out don't work that way and certainly not that immediately. I know I can totally not track my work outs, but I like to see them all listed out. Not only do the calories change with the exercise, but the nutritional values increase, too! fat, fiber, everything!!

Is there a way to turn off the feature to add calories burned to calories to be consumed per day? I hate glancing to see how many calories I have left and suddenly have 800 or some crap, then I have to figure out which of those numbers is the actual amount. Very frustrating!

it's worse on my long run or race days when I burn 1200 calories and then have to try to figure out what I **really** have. erg.

Replies

• khagador
    khagador Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    I hear ya. The only thing I could recommend is waiting until you are finished eating for the day to put in your exercise. Otherwise, you'll have to subtract the "calories earned from exercise" from your total when you look at your food diary.
  • tinaisrad
    Options
    I feel the same way. I always wait until the end of the day to add my exercise because it throws off the calorie count. But, worse than just the increase in calories is the increase in carbs and fat. Though, there is a big discussion on all the plateau threads about eating more to lose weight because we are burning more and if we don't have the right amount of food to match our burning then we will not lose anything as it holds on to all fat. So maybe I should be eating more to match the burned calories...

Check out this discussion: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/518355-how-i-broke-my-5-month-plateau

And this group: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/forums/show/3834-eat-more-to-weigh-less
  • aldousmom
    Options
    I feel the same way. I always wait until the end of the day to add my exercise because it throws off the calorie count. But, worse than just the increase in calories is the increase in carbs and fat. Though, there is a big discussion on all the plateau threads about eating more to lose weight because we are burning more and if we don't have the right amount of food to match our burning then we will not lose anything as it holds on to all fat. So maybe I should be eating more to match the burned calories...

Check out this discussion: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/518355-how-i-broke-my-5-month-plateau

And this group: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/forums/show/3834-eat-more-to-weigh-less

hmmm, that's pretty interesting. I'll keep that in mind if I hit a plateau.
  • aldousmom
    Options
    I hear ya. The only thing I could recommend is waiting until you are finished eating for the day to put in your exercise. Otherwise, you'll have to subtract the "calories earned from exercise" from your total when you look at your food diary.

weight watchers does the same thing, but you can choose to not use those points. Like, if you've always exercised, getting more points or calories for exercising isn't really useful and could lead to overeating. It would be nice on here to just turn off that feature, if it's no longer useful to you.

I think it's useful if you've just started b/c your body is working so much harder (more effort exerted) during the exercise. Running is easier for me than it is for someone who is just starting out doing any exercise, even if we weigh the same. It seems silly that I would get to eat DOUBLE the amount of food on some days! the idea cracks me up! I can't even image figuring out what to eat to eat 3000 calories...lol!

and again, the in and out of calories isn't that instant.
  • josee91
    josee91 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I just make sure my "calories left" are equal or bigger than my calories burnt from exercise. Helps me stay within my calorie goal
  • VeganInTraining
    VeganInTraining Posts: 1,321 Member
    Options
    I just make sure my "calories left" are equal or bigger than my calories burnt from exercise. Helps me stay within my calorie goal

This

That being said, it's OK to eat your exercise calories, I have always eaten my exercise calories and the only time I have gained weight is when I habitually go over my total calories (including exercise) MFP already creates a deficit, and that is a deficit from the calories that you need to sustain your weight at whatever activity level you have your profile set to.

If you don't eat your exercise calories you will probably lose weight faster but you will still lose weight if you eat your exercise calories. For me, I'd rather lose a little slower (still a pound a week) and not feel like I'm depriving myself
  • khagador
    khagador Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    I can't even image figuring out what to eat to eat 3000 calories...lol!

Cake! Nothing but cake!
  • aldousmom
    Options
    I can't even image figuring out what to eat to eat 3000 calories...lol!

Cake! Nothing but cake!

LOL!! so funny! today's a long run day, and MFP says I had 1400 calories left. I'm struggling to finish my dinner and I'm as full as a tick! I don't think I can do it!

13 miles this morning, in beautiful weather. great day.