nonscale victories

Options
luvsdeals
luvsdeals Posts: 105 Member
Everyone is doing so great losing weight--but what are your "non-scale victories" you're celebrating? smaller pants, more energy, better skin?

Spill it!

Replies

• kimnmiah
    kimnmiah Posts: 30
    Options
    I can wear most of my size 8 jeans again Yippee. I had moved up to a 10 after my kids and those were getting snug when I started this program.
  • luvsdeals
    Options
    Way to go! I'd love to be in an 8 again. Haven't seen that size since 2001 I think! (5 kids ago!!)

My jeans are getting bigger too. In December I had to buy size 16s. :( I quickly got into the 14s once I started here, but this week I fit in my old 12s! Very happy about that!
  • BklynMamacita
    BklynMamacita Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    Way to go everyone!!!

This AM went to kickboxing and the instructor is so cool. She is also a trainer so she is really intense but motivating. After I was doing some strength training after class, she told me that I really inspire her. Awwww! That was so motivating that the instructor would tell me that I inspire them. KWIM? I do work my butt off in that class and push myself to the limit, though.

Also my size ten jeans are getting loose and I need to go shopping soon. LOL Kohls has a 30% off for card members so new Levis here I come.
  • BklynMamacita
    Options
    Way to go! I'd love to be in an 8 again. Haven't seen that size since 2001 I think! (5 kids ago!!)

My jeans are getting bigger too. In December I had to buy size 16s. :( I quickly got into the 14s once I started here, but this week I fit in my old 12s! Very happy about that!

Great job. This is awesome considering you have 5 kiddos. That is not easy!!!
  • luvsdeals
    Options
    YAY! New jeans for everyone!!

That's awesome to be told that you are an inspiration to a gym instructor! Keep it up!

I've actually got 6 kids! can't believe my baby will be 1 next month!

Other NSVs:
    -I've actually run a mile and a half without stopping.
    -my belt needs to go in 3 notches (I've lost 7 inches around my waist)
    -my mind feels so much clearer now (despite the fact that baby is still not sleeping well at night!)
    -my husband (skinnyfat as they say around here) started walking on the treadmill and last night came home and said we should run a 5k together!
    -and best of all--I don't pull back when my 10 year old goes to hug me. I hadn't even realized that I did that--I'd suck in my gut and pull back a little since I looked 7 months pregnant. But yesterday she hugged me and wrapped her arms all around my waist and it felt so good and then it hit me that I used to pull back a little. No more though!!
  • AJones1021
    AJones1021 Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    Love this thread, so motivating, girls!!!

Kim - Size 8's - woohoo, hot mama!! Congrats on your loss this week!!

Tracey - that is AWESOME. I know that felt good! I always cheer you on when I see those big burns pop up on my news feed from Kickboxing!

Melissa - you are just rocking it!! 7 inches - WOW!!!!!!!!!!

I am going to need some new pants soon. I am trying to hang on until it gets warm enough for capris so I don't have to buy new pants I won't be able to wear for long! However, I fit in to a pair of Levis my Mom bought me for Christmas that were too snug then! I didn't have the heart to tell her then - LOL, but I wore them over there last week.

I just feel like I am getting more in control of my life. Our finances have been better (less eating out, more planning) and we've been doing more things as a family - last weekend we went and hit golf balls at the driving range after DS' swimming lessons (instead of watching TV/going out to eat). Then, we went out and played baseball with DS - he's starting tball next month.

We're definitely trying new stuff. This week, we tried salmon (DS asked for it, I am not a huge fish fan!! He liked it, I am still not a huge fish fan - LOL) and am trying a new stir fry recipe.

I just feel like this is it. This is my last shot to get all of this weight off of me. It's so not good for me, but this is the longest I've ever held on to a better lifestyle. I just enjoy it now. It's becoming first nature. Ahhhh! And I love you ladies for your support (and watching you shrink!, too!).
  • luvsdeals
    Options
    Angel that's awesome. Way to go for making such positive changes for your family!!!
  • BklynMamacita
    Options
    Angel that is so awesome that you are also making lifestyle changes. That is very inspiring!

Melissa-you are rocking it, girl! Great DH is motivated too!

I am so cheap that I am still not feeling the Kohls prices for new pants. I rarely go to thrift stores. Do any of you? Wondering if I should for jeans. I would hate to keep dropping these inches and then have to give away a $40 pair of pants. KWIM? Since I am in transition mode, I want to watch how much I spend. DH tells me to get what I want but I am thrifty. Right now I have 4 workpants that fit and one pair of jeans. Everything else is too big. : )
  • kimnmiah
    kimnmiah Posts: 30
    Options
    I would definitely check the thrift stores for some jeans since hopefully you won't need them long. Maybe splurge on 1 good pair. Lucky for me I kept my skinny clothes from before the kids and when I hit my goal weight I'll do some shopping. I would like to lose 10 more lbs and then I'll go bathing suit shopping.

I am also very pleased at how much healthier the whole family is eating. Dh had actually given up soda before I started mfp and has lost almost 40 lbs between our new diet and kicking the soda habit.

I make a batch of steel cut oats for breakfast every couple days and dh turned his nose up too it at first and now eats it almost every morning. Dd actually asked for some tonight before bed. We are eating a lot more fruits and veggies. Dd asked for broccoli and cauliflower. That's probably a bigger victory to me than my weight loss.
  • luvsdeals
    Options
    That's so great about the whole family getting involved!

Tracey I'd wait a bit on the pants if it were me (unless you really have nothing and everything is falling off!)

I was looking through pictures from Christmas and saw a picture taken with my dd on her birthday. Yikes. So I went up and took a picture now to see if I looked any different. What do you think? I think I'm finally starting to see a difference. (And please excuse the post workout, not showered, no make up look!)

Pictures-1.jpg
  • Kooopons
    Kooopons Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    Great NSV's ladies!

I too have dropped a size. I was hoping to drop another soon, but some stuff is still a tad tight. Thankfully I kept a lot of skinny clothes too! I'm fitting into things I haven't worn since before Luke. There are some jeans I've gotten into a few weeks ago and now they are getting loose!

I have a ton more energy and when I'm sitting down I don't feel like I have a big inner tube around my middle.

The family is eating much more healthy- I'd like my dh to jump on board more, but he doesn't have a choice when he has to eat what I've made for dinner!

I like that this lifestyle is becoming second nature for me. I don't feel deprived or wanting of too much so it's helped to keep me going!

On a non-NSV note- I look at how much I've lost, I'm half way to my goal- yet I still can't believe how I still look. I look in the mirror and think- dang, I'm down 17lbs and I still look like THIS!? Then I can't believe what I must have looked like at 17lbs more. But some days it's discouraging to still see the flab and stomach pouch and wiggly thighs....sigh- I know I didn't get like this in a day!
  • mom2jrn
    mom2jrn Posts: 40
    Options
    Wow, you can so see the difference in the pictures!

Jen - I feel the same way. I'm over half way to my goal and still don't like what I see. It's opened my eyes to how those with eating disorders see themselves.

I'm going to see if I can find a picture to compare. Hopefully this works.

EDIT - Ok, I can't seem to get it to work so my profile picture is from March 4, 2012 and if you look at my pictures the other one is from October 15, 2011.
  • luvsdeals
    Options
    I had a hard time with the pictures too. Choose the option in photobucket and then just make the IMG a lowercase img and it should work.  You look great though!  Good job!  Jen I know what you mean about the "how did I look before?"--but just think.  We made a change and look where we are now in just 2 months!  What changes will the next 2 months bring?!
  • Kooopons
    Kooopons Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    Melissa- I didn't see your post when I posted. I can TOTALLY see a difference in your face!!!! And I know you didn't lose 20+ pounds in your face, so the rest of you must be quite different too!

Janet- I can see a BIG difference in your face too!

I need to hunt down some old photos and compare. Maybe that will be more encouraging!
  • tlchidester
    Options
    Wow! You guys are such an inspiration. I don't own a scale, so I don't know where I am at, but I took a month or so off, when everyone was sick. We are on the mend now.

My NSV is silly, but it's huge for me. I have been working out MWF with some girls from church. I've gone 5 times now. We started 30 day shred this week and I did it! I have not worked out since before I met DH 8 years ago! I still have the same sports bra, that's how little I work out! I survived my first week. And I was able to put on jeans that have been tight for the last 7 months. They are still "tight", but the zipper doesn't fall down.
  • Kelgirl36
    Kelgirl36 Posts: 14
    Options
    Wow, everyone is doing great! I definitely see differences in the two sets of pictures that were posted. When I look in the mirror I can see that my stomach "fat pouch" is smaller than it was and a lot of my clothes are fitting more loosely now and I'm really happy about that. I need to get some new clothes but I'm trying to hold off as long as I can so I can get things that will still fit well when I reach my goal.

Like Jen, I'm half way to my goal, but I can tell I still have a lot of pudge to lose. I know how terrible I looked before because I had vacation photos from last December and I looked awful in all of them. I know I at least look better than I did then and maybe DH will be able convince me to put on a bathing suit to take the kids swimming when we go on vacation next month.

I have definitely had more energy lately and a lot less stomach aches due to the crap I was eating before. I just feel better overall and I think my DH commented that I seem to be in a better mood. It's going to be 60 degrees here next week and I'm really looking forward to running around outside with my kids and I know I'll have a lot more energy for that this summer than I did last year.
  • mom2jrn
    mom2jrn Posts: 40
    Options
    Ok, I'll try again!

October 15, 2011

Oct11.jpg

March 4, 2012

Mar12-1.jpg

EDIT - Yay it worked! Sorry they are so big.
  • BklynMamacita
    Options
    Wow this is a great thread.

Ladies, I can definitely tell a big difference. It shows for me on my face too because I tend to be "cheeky" with these dimples of mine. Oh well at least it makes me look young.

Jen, you are doing great. It is true.We did not get here overnight but look how much progress we made inso little time, right? So the summer is going to be fun, fun, fun.

In terms of clothes, I am going to wait a bit. I am fine with work clothes and bought a size down when Kohls was having that huge clearance so I have some really nice pants to look forward to for size 8. I may just buy a pair or 2 of cheapie jeans. Kills me to do that. I am thrifty but that by that I mean I don't buy cheap stuff for clothes or shoes because I figure they will last a while but then I don't buy a ton of stuff. So if the jeans are $50, it is worth it because I will have them a long time. I guess I will have to see how far I go in sizes and then go from there.

I love all the other victories like families eating healthy, running around with kiddos, swim suit buying, and completing challenging workouts!
  • scubamom05
    scubamom05 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    We are eating healthier :smile: I have more energy. I have lots more to go. But, I feel good about myself. I am down to what I was before I had DS 3 years ago. :smile:

Congrats to all!!
  • carlyhustle
    carlyhustle Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I have been walking daily (2 miles and sometimes more), eating and feeling MUCH better/more energized. I also registered for a run/walk 5k…its in 6 weeks :)

Side note: I can't figure out why my ticker is only at 1 pound....I have lost like 11...I remember MFP said it was gonna auto update my goals, and since then its been weird :( Anyone know about this?