Recipes

Options
Be a great place to post any really good healthy dishes that you have tried and want to share.
I am always looking for new ideas in the kitchen. :)

Replies

• editnonnalynn
    editnonnalynn Posts: 495 Member
    Options
    Tofu shirataki noodles cost $2.29/package at Publix but I can get them at the local Asian markets for only $1.99. Fresh bean sprouts are $3.49/pound at Kroger, $3.99/pound at Publix— and only $1.19/pound at every Asian market in town (there are a total of 5 Asian markets in the next town over).

Hopefully you can find an inexpensive source for bean sprouts because they are SO versatile. I eat about one pound per day. If you have to travel far for then go ahead and buy 10 or 20 pounds or so. They can be frozen for up to 12 months if you blanch them first— shorter periods if you don’t. I go through 10 pounds in a week so I just zip lock ‘em without blanching, freeze them— and pull them out, as needed.

I try different concoctions and I must say that I have stumbled upon my best one yet, tonight.

Here is my recipe for the ultimate “169 Calorie BIG BIG BIG Bowl Of Noodles”:

Put your favorite non-stick frying pan on the stove, spray with non-stick spray and turn the jet to “HIGH.”

As it heats up, rinse the 1/2 pound package of tofu shirataki noodles in a colander with hot water and dump them into the frying pan.

As they start to cook, rinse 4 cups (that’s a LOT) of bean sprouts in the colander with cold water and dump them into the frying pan with the noodles.

Fry on HIGH, uncovered (that part is important), turning with a spatula, occasionally.

They will NOT stick to your pan. They are goof proof. They require VERY little attention.

While the bean sprouts and noodles are frying, thoroughly mix the following ingredients in a bowl:

lite soy sauce (1 tbsp), kimchee base or some other hot red sauce that you like the flavor of (1 tbsp), Anne’s Old Fashioned Chicken Base (3 tsp) OR 3 chicken bouillon cubes, McCormick Perfect Pinch Garlic and Herb Seasoning (1 tsp) and garlic powder (2 tsp).

Add a pinch of water if the mixture is too thick.

Once the bean sprouts begin to brown remove the pan from the heat and pour the spicy mixture over the noodles. Mix thoroughly into the noodles and bean sprouts with the spatula and serve.

The bean sprouts and tofu shirataki noodles work together to create a *really* good noodle feel in the mouth. The mixture is a bit high in sodium but you’re much better off eating this than potato chips for a snack.

Your big bowl of noodles will contain 11g of carbs (of which 5g are fiber, so it only has 6 net grams of carbohydrate), 4g of fat and 10g of protein.

I ate the entire bowl and I feel like I just finished Thanksgiving dinner.

Did I mention that the entire bowl was only 169 calories?

Sure I did— but it was worth mentioning again!

-Chelle
    Edited by finallychelle on Wed 08/03/11 10:31 PM
  • editnonnalynn
    Options
    Just tried this tonight and it is AWESOME! I know a lot of you have tried the cauliflower substitute for mashed potatoes, but you can sub it for rice, too!

"Cauli-rice" (or Rice-aflower?!)

:)

You will need:

1 head of fresh cauliflower
    a food processor/blender
    a microwavable bowl big enough to hold your final yield

Do this:

Cut the florets off of the cauliflower. You can use the stem as well, just cut it into manageable chunks. Process raw florets (do NOT cook first!) until they are uniform "grains" and pile into the bowl.

Microwave for 3-5 minutes, uncovered, until cauliflower is cooked. DO NOT add water, seasonings or butter before cooking, or you'll end up with mush. Just microwave the processed cauliflower all by itself. Any seasonings can be added after cooking. Fluff with a fork, add spices, serve with anything you would make rice with!

I made a low fat/low cal shrimp creole (which I can also post if anyone wants it) and served over this tonight. I felt like I was cheating! I added to the whole bowl of "rice" a few shakes of land o'lakes butter sprinkles, garlic powder, salt and black pepper.

Per cup (with butter sprinkles) - 25-30 calories per cup!

I'm going to try this with curry and ginger and also as a mock fried rice. Will report results!
    Edited by CurvyCowgirl on Thu 01/12/12 12:07 AM
  • editnonnalynn
    Options
    What is 3-2-1 mug cake I keep hearing about?:tongue: