Should Dwain Chambers be allowed to compete in the Olympics

KevMilleruk
KevMilleruk Posts: 12 Member
Up until yesterday evenings program on the TV I was of the opinion that if you are caught cheating then you should never be allowed to compete at the Olympics again but now I have to admit that I am not so sure....

Perhaps if ALL countries followed GBs example and banned cheats for life then this would be fair but because no other country imposes such a ban it becomes a postcode lottery with severity of punishment decided purely by which country you were born in.

One thing that came across in the program was that he genuinely seems to have changed his life around and today he is competing to defend his status as the current 60m European Champion.

I know this should not come into it but he is also in all likelihood among team GBs best hopes for medal in the sprinting events.

So is GB cutting its nose off to spite its face or are we showing providing a stern deterrent against cheats.

Just wondering if anyone else watched the program on TV and what your opinions on it are..

Is there room for forgiveness like all the other nations, or is the UK right to impose a lifetime ban ?

It will all be decided in the court room next week, but on so many levels it seems to divide opinion.

Be interested to hear everyone elses views...

Replies

• KitTheRoadie
    KitTheRoadie Posts: 641 Member
    Hi!

I didn't see the program and to be perfectly honest with you, without googling the name I haven't got a clue who he is!

What I can relate to is the story though...

David Millar, a Team GB cyclist was banned for 2 years for doping offences in 2004. In that time he turned his life and cycling career around and is now out spoken against the doping culture within cycling. He also received a lifetime ban from the IOC, which they have refused to over turn so he can compete in his home olympics.

It is a tough one to over come, on the one hand I think, yes he did a bad thing, he has redeemed himself and now works tirelessly to fight against doping in cycling and therefore the IOC should see this and over turn the lifetime ban.

On the other hand, I think, harsh as it sounds but 'thems the rules', he knew what he was getting in to and now he has to suffer the consequence of his actions.

I love David Millar, I don't really care if he was a doper or not, but I do think if they are thinking about changing the rules for this "Dwain Chambers", then surely they should do it for David as well?!