Safety Measures

Options
redkim615
redkim615 Posts: 23 Member
Okay, I have taken to more safety measures around my house. I am having a fence built around my yard, I installed a locking gate on the front porch, I have extra latches towards the top of the doors. Recently my son has been attempting to open the doors, which he is unable to do since there are extra latches on the top of the doors, but what happens when he gets tall enough to reach those latches too? Does anyone have any suggestions to keep him from getting outside when he gets bigger?

Replies

• tinkermommc
    tinkermommc Posts: 562 Member
    Options
    I know what you mean. I drilled screws into the 2nd floor window frames so they dont open more 6 inches because he likes to push on screens. I'm still good with child lock with tape wrapped around it dont know how long it'll last but I'll take it!
  • Gargwin82
    Gargwin82 Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    They sell door alarms that you place up out of reach, when the door opens they sound loudly to get your attention. Also if your child is a wanderer you may want to invest in a personal tracker that you can keep in a pocket or on shoe laces.
  • Revshart
    Revshart Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    My son was the same way when he was younger and would run crazy not realizing the dangers of traffic or other situations. We installed locks on our doors that you have to have a key to open them. You don't just turn the latch to lock. We keep them locked at all times and have hidden the key on shelves above the doors where he can't reach or find them. He has gotten better since he is older and will listen more to us now and not try and go out unless we are with him.
  • tinkermommc
    tinkermommc Posts: 562 Member
    Options
    My son was the same way when he was younger and would run crazy not realizing the dangers of traffic or other situations. We installed locks on our doors that you have to have a key to open them. You don't just turn the latch to lock. We keep them locked at all times and have hidden the key on shelves above the doors where he can't reach or find them. He has gotten better since he is older and will listen more to us now and not try and go out unless we are with him.

Sounds like my house! Friends laugh because I have locking doors on the basement, pantry, closets, laundry room and a backwards deadbolt on the garage. But it's for his safety, though it is amusing when my sister or Mil come to visit and they can't reach the top of the doorframe to get the key ;-)
  • julielynnbush
    julielynnbush Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I'm liking the door alarm idea. My son is 11, and we have those toddler locks on our doorknobs, including the front door. It's interesting that he knows how to take them off, and can take them off if he really wants to, but so far the only door he doesn't try to open is the front door.
  • zaithyr
    zaithyr Posts: 482 Member
    Options
    We have a double-keyed deadbolt. My daughter got out of the house once a year and a half ago (before she was verbal) and it scared me half to death!