Books vs Films

Options
Angelabec
Angelabec Posts: 505 Member
We are watching Bladerunner tonight, I honestly think people should be made to read the book first.

Anyone else agree, or am I just being grumpy?

Replies

• TK266
    TK266 Posts: 3,689 Member
    Options
    I read the book before watching the directors cut for a collage class. I agree people should read the book and i agree that you are being grumpy. lots of people are weird and don't like to read. sad, sad people, but people none the less. :laugh:
  • Angelabec
    Options
    haha, fair enough, I admit to being grumpy!
  • maxmariesfo
    maxmariesfo Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    I have yet to find a single time when the movie was equal to the book. There's just too much that must be left out for the sake of time.

Although I must admit, I love the old Roger Cormen/Vincent Price versions of Edgar Allen Poe's stories as much as I love reading Poe. I love them dearly. But they are different.
  • Angelabec
    Options
    OK, I think I just confirmed my geek status, the old man just said to me 'The Final Cut is just for geeks really!'
  • jenbit
    jenbit Posts: 4,289 Member
    Options
    If I know they are making a movie of something I try not to read the books until after I see the movie. That way I don't get mad at the movie. If anyone ever read Jurassic park and then saw the movie you'll understand lol
  • TK266
    TK266 Posts: 3,689 Member
    Options
    The Bourne Identity movies were better then the books. But that is due to the fact that I think Ludlum is a crappy writer and an even crappier writer of internal dialogues for his characters. But that is just my opinion.
  • garlic7girl
    garlic7girl Posts: 2,236 Member
    Options
    Dune I thought did well by the book believe it or not!
  • msunluckythirteen
    msunluckythirteen Posts: 335 Member
    Options
    I really thought Lord of the Rings did really well too. Some things were left out of course, but it didn't affect the over all story. And those are my favorite books btw.
  • taunto
    taunto Posts: 6,420 Member
    Options
    I to be honest like watching the movie before I read the book. If you've read the godfather and watched it, its like understanding everything that happened in the movie, every little thing is explained in the book but at the same time, you've seen it. Its hard ofr me to explain it but in situations like this, the movie is like a commercial for me. Reading Barneys version (An absolutely hilarious read btw) and its the same thing for me
  • pinuplove
    pinuplove Posts: 12,874 Member
    Options
    I admit, I never read LOTR until after the movies. I had to read The Hobbit in high school and found it really dry *ducking* so I never picked them up. With the visual from the movies, though, I loved the books1
  • msunluckythirteen
    Options
    I admit, I never read LOTR until after the movies. I had to read The Hobbit in high school and found it really dry *ducking* so I never picked them up. With the visual from the movies, though, I loved the books1
    The Hobbit is not as good as LOTR you are right. I am hoping that The Hobbit movie will be as good as LOTR. I have high hopes!
  • hesgro2
    hesgro2 Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    I also always try to read the books before seeing the movie. I remember when I first read "Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep?" I was really surprised that he set the year so close to the date he wrote it - 1992 (written in late 1960s). The book is awesome, but I also love Blade Runner.

There are a couple of movies I've liked more, or at least equal to the books - Harry Potter movies I liked better, as well as the Bourne movies. I'm reading the "Hunger Games" trilogy right now, and I'm hoping that the movie will not disappoint!
  • maxmariesfo
    maxmariesfo Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    I really thought Lord of the Rings did really well too. Some things were left out of course, but it didn't affect the over all story. And those are my favorite books btw.

Oh Yes! I love those! Can't wait for The Hobbit.
  • fubar2us
    fubar2us Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    I agree that many times the books are far FAR better than the the movie versions of most things. But, there are a large number of us that do not like reading certaint genres of books but love the moves of them. I will never get to the end of the DUNE books. I love the movie and SiFi channel mini series of it. Bladerunner and others like it I love watching as well but can not get myself into reading them. LOTR on the other hand was one of my favorite books. And Yes, Vincent Price was awsome in all the Egar Allen Poe movies. My favorite being The Raven. (also watch the SNL skits making fun of him from the last few season.)
  • kellyhumphrey
    kellyhumphrey Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Pet Sematary was pretty equal book to movie wise... but a majority of the time the book is way better with just about anything. The made for TV movie The 5 People You Meet in Heaven was very close to the book with very little left out... I can't even think of what was left out actually... but it was a small book and a 4-5 hour series so they had time.

I'm hoping that The Hungar Games isn't completely ruined.. I guess we'll see soon enough.
  • msunluckythirteen
    Options
    I agree that many times the books are far FAR better than the the movie versions of most things. But, there are a large number of us that do not like reading certaint genres of books but love the moves of them. I will never get to the end of the DUNE books. I love the movie and SiFi channel mini series of it. Bladerunner and others like it I love watching as well but can not get myself into reading them. LOTR on the other hand was one of my favorite books. And Yes, Vincent Price was awsome in all the Egar Allen Poe movies. My favorite being The Raven. (also watch the SNL skits making fun of him from the last few season.)

I love Dune the movie and Syfy series too, but I can't get through the books either.