New to the group, but using my own rules...

Options
colorlessgreen
colorlessgreen Posts: 173 Member
I like the idea of rewarding myself for reaching goals, but the 35 days and not weighing myself just isn't something I see working for me. I weigh myself every day and track my weight using a moving average "trend line," which I HIGHLY recommend to people. It makes the slight fluctuations day to day so much more bearable. (I use this app, if anyone is curious: http://lifehacker.com/5797599/libra-is-a-quick-and-efficient-weight+tracking-app-for-android, but I first learned about the idea reading "The Hacker's Diet" online -- Google it!)

So anyway, I've made some goals for myself based on my trend line, and reached my first one last week. They are:

5 days keeping my trend line below 150: tooth whitening (Ordered a set of Crest White Strips "Professional" set on sale for $35!)
5 days keeping my trend line below 145: new watch
5 days keeping my trend line below 140: new shoes
5 days keeping my trend line below 135: facial and T & Co. necklace

I have a love/hate relationship with consumerism and vanity, which I'm sure isn't uncommon. I feel like I have enough "stuff" in my life, and I don't like the idea of spending money frivolously. At the same time, I *like* having pretty new things and making myself look better. (It's like how my boyfriend always scoffs at me for spending money on beauty products, but then whenever I use them, he comments on how pretty I look. :P) So, I've decided I'm allowed to spend frivolously here and there, but since they're rewards to myself, they feel less frivolous to me! I know I'm just justifying my spending, in a way, but who cares? ;)

Replies

• ParisArkw
    ParisArkw Posts: 186
    Options
    Sounds good to me! They sound like fun spending-things to use as rewards. It's like...more awesome than just buying them. XD
  • jamgrl1
    jamgrl1 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I love the idea and think it is perfect for me too because I also weigh myself everyday and I'm going to check out that app. I spend so much money unnecessarily and it most certainly will make me feel less guilty if it is a reward instead of just buying things just to buy them, I"m in! I'll figure out what my rewards will be later.
  • colorlessgreen
    colorlessgreen Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    You should totally check out the app. I think it's one of the smartest and simplest diet tools out there, and not enough people know about it. I think I'll write a blog post about it soon.

On another note: I got my first reward (my tooth whitening strips) in the mail today! One more set of before and after pictures I'll have to take. ;)