Dietician, nutritionist or CDE??

Options
wannabthin65
wannabthin65 Posts: 92 Member
I want to see one of the 3 people listed above but would love some input & opinions as to which one is more beneficial for diet, exercise & meal plans for weight loss. I did see a dietician about a year ago (the only one on my insurance & she was 50 miles away-one way & was no help at all so I never went back). So I guess what I need to know is which would be better-the nutritionist or the CDE IF my insurance covers either & they arent so far away from home.

Would appreciate any feedback you can give.

Thanks in advance,
Diane

Replies

• pinkita
    pinkita Posts: 779 Member
    Options
    Hi Diane,

Many registered dietitians are also CDEs, so that's probably your best bet, if you can find one. If not, look for one who does Medical Nutrition Therapy, which as a diabetic, you should have access to under most insurance plans.

Many people call themselves "nutritionists," but only a registered dietitian has to do tons of hours of supervised internships, plus take a licensing exam.

A lot of dietitians with CDEs work closely with RNs and endocrinologists, so if something came up that he/she wasn't sure about, they could consult with someone about it.