How have you lost so far?

allietuge
allietuge Posts: 343 Member
To all of you lovelies:

For those of you who have lost a decent amount already here is the place to share your wise words of wisdom :tongue:

* Tell us how you did it.

* What did you change in your daily life?

* What kept you going?

Any anything else that you feel would be helpful :drinker:

Replies

• rae_mayer
    rae_mayer Posts: 226
    Hm... It's actually harder to come up with an answer than I thought it would be. I suppose it is because it has been a variety of factors.

Things that worked for ME (but may not work for everyone):
    - Tracking food (good/bad/whatever just write it down!)
    - Try newer, healthier foods
    - Check my weight daily (this is not for everyone!)
    - Support from family, friends and MFP pals. (Find some good MFP pals! They make a huge difference!)
    - Exercise, Exercise, Exercise (I've always been "fit" for my size but this is really been my key.)

I'm sure there is others but this will work for now!
  • lablovr108
    lablovr108 Posts: 576 Member
    Things that have worked for me:

- Set realistic goals. I am not going to lose five pounds a week. I am happy with any loss.
    - Don't try to change everything overnight. MFP gave me an initial calorie goal of 1,200. I thought I was going to starve the first day. I upped it to 1,500 and gradually worked my way down. I still lost weight. Had I tried to stay at 1,200 from the start, I probably would have quit the first week.
    - I track and weigh all of my food. Invest in a food scale. They aren't very expensive and are a great tool.
    - I've tried a lot of new foods. I never thought I would like cooked veggies, but now I eat veggies every day.
    - Read food labels. You will be surprised with some foods that you thought were "healthy."
    - Live life!! This one is huge. I didn't stop going out with my family and friends. I didn't avoid parties and get togethers. I just made healthier choices, worked out more, or said one day won't hurt me.
    - I weigh myself daily. If I'm down, it keeps me motivated. If I'm up, it gets me motivated. I only count it on Fridays though.
    - Find an exercise that you enjoy. I started out walking, then jogging, then when the weather turned bad, I found some DVDs that I really like. I also bought a HRM. I am a numbers person so watching my heart rate and calories burned keep me going and give me the motivation for the extra push.
  • sterphy
    sterphy Posts: 68 Member
    Great advice ladies, congrats on your success so far.
  • harmonious1
    harmonious1 Posts: 49 Member
    Well, I've been on here for 10 days now and I have lost 3lbs so far by doing at least a 30min walk n jog or of some kind of cardio inside if it's raining, everyday. I will alternate days with puch-ups, crunches, dancing and lifting 2 5lb weights. I have been eating more fruits and vegies and changed what I cook with like using cooking spray instead of margrine (which I just heared was worse the real butter, but I don't know) also using less seasonings and more onions and garlic for flavoring. So far I have been having a great time on this site, I feel a sweet burn and a better metaboism already. What has kept me going is a few things, imagining myself thin and fit, a man I see jogging forever (which I can't do yet, lol) and knowing this can be a life changing experience. :bigsmile:
  • 2swtdee
    2swtdee Posts: 14
    I quit eating meat(except for seafood) since not eating meat means, no fast food, so which forced me to cook at home. Eating at
    home I control what is and what isn't put into my food that might not be healthy.

I quit eating white rice, potatos, fried food just to name a few of the things that I cut out eating. along with processed food.

Eating way more veggies, fruits and baked foods. Since doing so I feel so much better, I have so much energy no longer do I feel l
    like I have to take a nap during the day.

I started working out on the treadmill and also doing workout dvd's at home for at least 30 mins

Also most importantly lots and lots of prayer to control my cravings and self control.
  • agingwithfitness
    agingwithfitness Posts: 1,403 Member
    Doesn't work for me to count calories or plan ahead, so I just cut down to small portions of healthy food and have largest portion at breakfast. That was the hardest thing to change, america is so large dinner that socially it feels weird, so I try to eat real slow.

And I bought a bag of easter m & m's and my husband gives me 2 a day then hides them…i slowly let them dissolve in my mouth.

Haven't had a problem with chocolate cravings since!

Try to exercise but on days I can't I just make sure my portions and carbs are not up at all...
  • meluc
    meluc Posts: 153 Member
    * I drink 2 litres of water every day
    * I don't eat anything unless I know it's calorie content before hand
    * I joined several groups on MFP (and joined MFP) to keep accountable and motivated.
    * I have "real life friends" who also check up on me throught the site
    * I stay under 1200 calories 99% of the time
    * I still allow myself salty snacks, but in moderation
    * I weigh all my food with a food scale when cooking from scratch
    * I focus on getting to my mini-goals, not my ultimate goal and that helps me not get discouraged
    * I noticed when I crave "bad foods" I'm PMS'ing
    * I plan most of my meals on the weekend and there is no guesswork during the week
    * My fast food choices now include Salads and Subway
    * I log everything even when it brings me over my calorie goal
    * I weigh myself once a week, then don't step on the scale the rest of the week
    * I signed up for my first 5K in May, downloaded health/fitness Apps on my iphone and using them to train. Check out "Couch to 5K"
  • pont01
    pont01 Posts: 34 Member
    I have been on here for 3 weeks so far and have lost currently lost 3kg.

I have been walking to and from work about 3 times per week and have been going to the gym 3 days per week. I usually do a mixture of cardio and weights.

I have set myslef a current limit of 1400 cals per day except for days when I may walk to work and go to the gym and may eat more due to the extra exercise.
    Track whatever you eat even if its bad because one bad meal/snack wont spoil it for the whole week if your careful.
  • I've been at this lifestyle change for a month now. The first two weeks I did endless hours of research and used the calorie counter on my phone. Then a friend suggested MFP to me. I've lost 6lbs so far. I totally changed everything I eat and the amounts of what I eat. I track everything I eat and I exercise for at least 30 mins a day. I am so much more active now and I feel better than ever. I'm never hungry. I believe in refueling after exercise! I started needing to lose 67lbs. I have 62lbs of it left to lose. In 12 weeks I'd like to weigh 187 that's losing 2lbs a week because I know this 3lbs a week is just a dumping process that will slow down. I'm also losing body fat % according to my scale and my mirror!