My dog needs a healthier lifestyle too!

Options
lk27
lk27 Posts: 267 Member
I have a 6 year old boxer and she is a little.... pudgy. the vet put her on a diet. Said she needs to lose 10 pounds!!! What!?!? I didn't think she was THAT overweight. Anyway, he changed her kibble. No wet food. And NO treats! She can only have vegetable treats. I have found that she likes canned pumpkin and sweet potatoes. We've tried carrots & green beans- she doesn't like those.

We have also upped her exercise. At least 2- 30 minute walks per day. I gave her a goal of running the entire River Trail (a nice walkway by our house) by the end of summer. It's probably about 2 miles round trip.

Does anyone feed their boxers veggies or fruits? Which ones do they like?

Replies

• ladybg81
    ladybg81 Posts: 1,553 Member
    Options
    My dogs are NOT allowed people food for this exact reason. All the Boxers I grew up with had people food and were over weight. Being over weight for a boxer is really hard on their joints so it is hughly advised that they not carry any extra weight (same as people.) My dogs get a quality dry dog food. Sometimes they will get a little canned food added as a special treat and they rarely get dog treats. We also do not leave food down all day and night. They are fed at certain times and if they do not eat, it gets taken up. My female started gaining a little weight and now that we are closely monitoring her consumption, she's lost it.
  • lk27
    lk27 Posts: 267 Member
    Options
    Yes, we do not give our dog human food either. I think it was the wet dog food that is what did it and the dog treats. We have cut out treats and the wet food. As the vet recommended though, we have tried some veggies. She won't eat them anyway. Eventhough she acts like she's starving, if she won't eat a vegetable, she can't be too hungry. Since we have started this, she does seem to have more energy.
  • ladybg81
    ladybg81 Posts: 1,553 Member
    Options
    Yes, we do not give our dog human food either. I think it was the wet dog food that is what did it and the dog treats. We have cut out treats and the wet food. As the vet recommended though, we have tried some veggies. She won't eat them anyway. Eventhough she acts like she's starving, if she won't eat a vegetable, she can't be too hungry. Since we have started this, she does seem to have more energy.

Sounds like the way I feel about veggies too! A necessary evil in life... :ohwell:
  • sjmgde
    sjmgde Posts: 381 Member
    Options
    My boxer is overweight and i just got back on his food and walk him twice a day . He will get scraps if they "fall" but other than that not to much of the human food