What's for dinner?

Options
jaimemariel
jaimemariel Posts: 183 Member
Of course vegans love a)talking about food and b)sharing. I love hearing about what others are eating for dinner! Especially if I am in a food rut.

Tonight's dinner is adzuki beans, kale, and Trader Joe's harvest grain blend. Simple and satisfying! The adzuki bean and kale recipe is here: http://allrecipes.com/recipe/kale-and-adzuki-beans/

Replies

• SuzanneKrause
    SuzanneKrause Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Vegan Zombie Shepards Pie!!! Video here : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wjHxMY5mmM0
  • jaimemariel
    Options
    Mu husband works late tonight so it's dinner on my own. I'm having a baked potato with salsa and earth balance and some left over black bean soup. The soup is aaaahmaaazing and the recipie is here: http://blog.fatfreevegan.com/2006/10/stormy-black-bean-soup.html
  • VeganInTraining
    VeganInTraining Posts: 1,321 Member
    Options
    trying "2 bean meat loaf"

http://backtoherroots.com/2011/09/28/two-bean-meatless-meatloaf-vegan-gluten-free/

My sister used to make meatloaf covered in mashed potatos with american cheese on top so I'll be doing the same with some vegan cheese, that was the only way to get me to eat meatloaf as a kid! I hope it's good!
  • AnnaMaus
    AnnaMaus Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    Masaman curry with basmati and (creamy garlicky) stuffed mini peppers!

Huh. I guess I better get in there and cook all that. :tongue:
  • bilzprincess
    bilzprincess Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    Tonight is just sammich and salad (smart veggie turkey), but tmw is Mac and Cheez from PETA cookbook--a cheesy nutritional yeast sauce.
  • jaimemariel
    Options
    Going out tonight! Can't decide if we will go to the vegetarian Indian buffet or something else. I loooove the buffet, Friday is Indo-China night. But of course there is the temptation to over eat, and we go there a lot!
  • sammybey
    sammybey Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    Attempting to make a pizza-- white bean puree spread w/sweet potato, kale, and carmelized onion toppings.

I've never made a pizza before, so wish me luck!

No Daiya or other fake cheeses... not a huge fan so far.. but I will sprinkle some nooch on top :)
  • jaimemariel
    Options
    Attempting to make a pizza-- white bean puree spread w/sweet potato, kale, and carmelized onion toppings.

No Daiya or other fake cheeses... not a huge fan so far.. but I will sprinkle some nooch on top :)

That sounds great! I've been looking for a white bean cheese sub. Do you have a receipe?
  • jaimemariel
    Options
    Tonight I am making bbq lentils over mashed potatoes. Also making Guinness bread! Using this recipe:
    http://www.thekitchn.com/recipe-cheddar-guinness-beer-bread-166877
    but doing a vegan adaptation. I will let you know how it comes out! I love holiday cooking!
  • LisaVeganBHScNutrition
    Options
    I made myself mushroom risotto for the first time last night. I was quite pleased with it! Never made it before.
  • jaimemariel
    Options
    I made myself mushroom risotto for the first time last night. I was quite pleased with it! Never made it before.

Mushroom risotto is my fav!
  • artadvocate3
    artadvocate3 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I am having tofu and asparagus stir fry. The recipe requires a lot effort than I usually put into a meal, I hope it's worth it!

http://www.crunchyrock.com/2011/03/dry-fry-tofu-stir-fry-with-asparagus.html
  • jaimemariel
    Options
    I am having tofu and asparagus stir fry. The recipe requires a lot effort than I usually put into a meal, I hope it's worth it!

http://www.crunchyrock.com/2011/03/dry-fry-tofu-stir-fry-with-asparagus.html

That looks great!

Tonight I'm making vegan chili rellenos. Stuffing the chili with a white bean queso dip.
  • sammybey
    sammybey Posts: 72 Member
    Options

That sounds great! I've been looking for a white bean cheese sub. Do you have a receipe?
    Sorry I didn't get back to you! It wasn't cheesy as much as GARLICKY!
    Recipe was from Chef Chloe:
    Garlic White Bean Puree (can be prepared up to 2 days in advance)
    1 (15-ounce) can cannellini or other white beans, rinsed and drained
    ¼ cup olive oil
    2 tablespoons water
    1 tablespoon lemon juice
    2 cloves garlic
    ½ teaspoon dried thyme
    1 teaspoon sea salt
    ½ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper

I wasn't impressed with my pizza-making skills, but the puree was awesome.
  • naptural1
    naptural1 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Last night I made a delicious two bean dish with diced tomatoes. 2 cans diced toms in bowl with a splash of balsamic vinegar to let mini marinate (or you could use wine) saute chopped onion, garlic and ginger in evo. Add can of chickpeas and black beans drained and rinsed. Sauteed a bit them added toms. Seasoned with Sazon..hmm just thought is that vegan?! gotta check that later. and half a seeded haberno pepper. Served over a bowl of basmati rice...yummy goodness!
  • jaimemariel
    Options
    Last night I made a delicious two bean dish with diced tomatoes. 2 cans diced toms in bowl with a splash of balsamic vinegar to let mini marinate (or you could use wine) saute chopped onion, garlic and ginger in evo. Add can of chickpeas and black beans drained and rinsed. Sauteed a bit them added toms. Seasoned with Sazon..hmm just thought is that vegan?! gotta check that later. and half a seeded haberno pepper. Served over a bowl of basmati rice...yummy goodness!

Sounds great! What is Sazon?

I'm having taco salad tonight. I probably make it once a week. I have a love affair with taco sauce.
  • kate_n_pjs
    kate_n_pjs Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    Last night I had homemade veggie hand rolls...they were so easy and perfect for just one person. I prepped all my ingredients and sat down to dinner and assembled each roll, one at a time.

Japanese Burritos
    3 sheets of Nori (apparently you toast this over the stove for a minute)
    left over brown rice
    1/5 block of tofu - sliced in 1/4 in. thick strips saute'd with garlic powder, onion powder, ground ginger, black pepper and braggs
    skinny slices of: carrot, cucumber, green pepper and avacado
    lots of siracha

I feel like this is a super cheap way to do sushi, no cutting just get a little messy!!!
  • darkling_glory
    darkling_glory Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    Tonight is vegan mac & 'cheeze'. If it turns out I'll post the recipe.
  • AnnaMaus
    AnnaMaus Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    Chinese "beef" and green beans in black bean sauce, served over spaghetti squash. Extra garlicky.

No one will want to be any where near me tomorrow!
  • darkling_glory
    darkling_glory Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    Tonight is vegan mac & 'cheeze'. If it turns out I'll post the recipe.

It turned out fab! Here it is:

Flasback Mac & Cheese

Ingredients:
    1 pound macaroni
    1 cup water
    1 cup unsweetened nondairy milk
    3 tablespoons mild-tasting oil (such as corn oil)
    1/2 cup flour (I use all-purpose)
    3/4 cup nutritional yeast
    1 teaspoon salt
    1/4 teaspoon onion powder
    1/4 teaspoon garlic powder

Directions:
    1. Cook macaroni (or other shaped pasta) according to package directions. While your mac is cooking, let's make the special secret "cheese" sauce.

2. In a bowl or large measuring cup, combine the water, milk, and oil and whisk briefly. In another bowl, combine all of the dry ingredients together.

3. Heat a medium saucepan. Add the dry ingredients to the saucepan, and slowly add the wet ingredients, continuously whisking over medium heat. Once all of the ingredients are incorporated, turn up the heat until the mixture begins to bubble and thicken.

4. Keep whisking as the mixture thickens and bubbles; do this for 1-2 minutes, and then turn the heat down. Keep whisking. After a spell, your "cheese" sauce should be nice and thick. Turn the heat off, and cover your saucepan.

5. Drain pasta well when done, and return noodles to the pot. Add all of your "cheese" sauce to the noodles, and stir well.

If, after your first trepidacious couple of forkfuls, you find that this recipe doesn't beat the pants off of the dairy mac and cheese with which most of us are familiar, you must have done something wrong. Come over to my house. I'll show you how it's done.

Serves: 4-6, Preparation time: 15-20 minutes

NOTES: I used 1/2 tsp garlic and onion powder respectively and it was pretty strong, so stick with 1/4 tsp and adjust accordingly. I also added a bit of cracked black pepper. The sauce is *VERY* thick, so if it sits for a big while the noodles are cooking, I'd suggest adding a splash of your non-dairy milk and wisking it in.

I think this recipe would be fantastic as a queso dip. I'm thinking, halve it, add in a can of rotel (diced tomatoes and chili) and a tsp of cumin.

Next time I think I'll add in a cup or two of chopped broccoli to make it a little healthier.
    The original recipe said it served 2 - 4, but it makes about EIGHT CUPS of pasta. I ate a cup and a half and was stuffed. I'd say serves 4-6. The nutrition information below is for 5 servings.

Nutrition Information
    Calories: 470
    Carbs: 79
    Fat: 11
    Fiber: 6
    Protein: 16
    Sodium: 496