New to the site/Exercise ideas for someone basically immobil

Options
Candi_land
Candi_land Posts: 1,311 Member
Hi all my name is Candice and I joined this site thanks to my best friend Jessica, whom is also a member. I have over 300lbs to lose, and at 5'2 I'm sure you all can imagine how difficult this much weight is on my body. I can't walk more than a few feet without extreme lower back pain, and my ankles and feet are usually tightly and painfully swollen. I started the herbal life diet about 3 months ago and have managed to lose 40.4lbs so far, however I can't imagine following this diet for the rest of my life to be honest. The 40lb weight loss so far has made walking/moving around a little easier, but I still don't think I am getting enough exercise. I would appreciate any ideas you have for exercises that someone of my size can do. Also, I've been thinking of eventually switching over from following herbal life to just cutting down on my eating and counting calories. Any suggestions on what works for you? I could use all the support I can get. I wasn't always this heavy, I've been overweight all my life but I was once confident, and felt attractive, mobile, working, and I "wore it well". I was in a relationship for 5 years with someone I loved and trusted dearly, he cheated on me with a mutual friend of ours and needless to say I was devastated and completely overwhelmed by the betrayal. I'm an emotional eater and turned to food for comfort..and completely sank into a downward spiral piling on over 100lbs in less than a year. I left everything behind, feeling as if the person I was died and moved in with family 1300 miles away because I could no longer work due to my weight and sudden onset of extreme social anxiety. I had no idea who I was anymore, and finding the will to live every morning took lots of effort. I still struggle, but I want my life back. I'm hoping to make new friends along this weight loss journey. Thanks for reading and good luck to you all!

Replies

• MelissaKaye91
    MelissaKaye91 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Hi there :) when I started my diet I was 430 pounds and could only stand up long enough to fry an egg. I'm 5'4" so I'm not too terribly tall myself. I was also having severe lower back pain. Though, I later learned mine was from a deformed hip that I eventually had to get replaced. So I did all this on a deformed hip for a year and didn't even know lol. Anyway though, what I did was I got one of those low sitting recumbant bicycles and placed it in my room, where I spent most of my time. I would get up periodically throughout the day and pedal for 3 minutes at a time. After 3 minutes, I just couldn't do anymore than that in one sitting but I would do it a few times a day. Eventually, I got to where I could do 5 minutes a time...and then 7 minutes...and then 10 minutes etc, etc. I never followed a specific diet either. I just gradually cut my calories down the same way I did with the bike and I made sure to eat every 3 hours to kick start my metabolism (which was nearly dead lol) I went from 2500 calories down to 2200 then down to 2000 over a period of weeks. Right now I don't wanna go below 1600-1700 calories but I feel that's pretty reasonable. Hope that helped :)
  • MelissaKaye91
    MelissaKaye91 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Oh and also, I have aaaaalways been an emotional eater too. My doc put me on a low dose antidepressant and it helped me tremendously. It hasn't gotten rid of it completely but now, instead of binge eating 2-3 times a month, I will only do it maybe once every 3 months. I learned too that if Ido wind up having a binge, my best bet is to binge on those chocolate rice cakes then I won't do near as much damage lol
  • TNFirefly
    TNFirefly Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    It's been a while since you posted this, and you have already lost 100 pounds. AWESOME! If you are still having mobility issues, or someone else has this issue, I started with seated chair aerobics with Paul Eugene. Google his name. He has a few different options you can download or have a dvd shipped.

Wishing you well. Sent a friend request.
    Obviously, something is working for you, but I thought I'd share what is working for me. I am following drmcdougall.com and am feeling great and really satisfied. Since I started August 1, I have lost over 20 pounds, as I have added more intense workouts.
    Marie
  • KimWW
    KimWW Posts: 301 Member
    Options
    If you have access to pool (community, wellness center, your own backyard, a friend's backyard, whatever) you could try either swimming or just walking in the water.

I have osteoarthritis in my knees and asthma. One or the other, often both, make exercising a nightmare. The doctors say loosing weight will help the breathing and pain, but I need to exercise to lose weight and that puts me in horrible pain and unable to breathe. Which, in the end makes me sit in a chair and walk as little as possible.

But, walking in the pool puts NO stress on my knees. I was amazed the first time I did it. And, since I was moving slowly, the asthma didn't cause any trouble either.
  • 1182sheep
    1182sheep Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    You are a beautiful person. Do not let this rejection and betrayal define you. I'm so glad you are able to get around better. Keep up the good work. I suffered the same kind of rejection and am still in the toxic relationship due to my children. I depend on God daily for strength and purpose. He really does help those who seek Him. Not trying to push my religion on anyone. Just saying what is helping me. I agree about the swimming pool. I go to the YMCA 5 days a week because my knees and back are shot. It keeps me out of a whee chair. Have a blessed day. If you are low on funds, they might have a scholarship program...especially if you have a dr.s order. Thats where I would start. Have a blessed day
  • wimeezer
    wimeezer Posts: 404 Member
    Options
    Hi, you've obviously found something that works for you...that is great! 115 lost is amazing and hope that it's making your mobility easier. I hope your focus on taking care of yourself is helping your wounded heart..

I started at 440 and am in this for the long haul.

Keep up the great work and keep us posted!