calories burned?

Options
carholl
carholl Posts: 44 Member
My question is which should I trust...my elliptical says I burned 200 calories for the time I spent on it. MFP says I burned 542 based on my current weight and time spent on it. I don't have anything on the elliptical with my weight, so should I trust what MFP gives me? I

Replies

• Ide_tiffany
    Options
    I use a HRM and it gives a reading that is closer to the elliptical reading than what MFP says. I find MFP is usually double what my HRM tells me I burn but everyone is different. I think a HRM is the most accurate way to know how many calories you burn.
  • Rays_Wife
    Rays_Wife Posts: 1,173 Member
    Options
    I would trust the machine over MFP. Especially if you plug your numbers into the machine. It knows how hard you are working. I have an HRM, and MFP calculations are always WAY off the mark - usually overestimating them by at least half.
  • cdngirl71
    cdngirl71 Posts: 2,707 Member
    Options
    I would go with the machine. I use a HRM and it is pretty close to what the machine says. MFP is way off by almost 100 so I go with the machine if I am not wearing my HRM.
  • carholl
    carholl Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    Thanks y'all for the info. I wasn't sure which to trust (although I really like MFP's stats, I just wasn't sure if they could be trusted).
  • Dilfster
    Dilfster Posts: 434
    Options
    i just got a HRM and it isvery close to the machine's numbers for the elliptical.
  • kumarprabhat
    Options
    I have an HRM. but here is the problem....in case of running (on treadmill), it gives more cals burned compared towhat m/c says....however,...in case of elliptical, it gives much less than what machine says....

Am confused which to rely on...for now am just taking the avg of m/c and HRM.

Suggestions welcome...

Cheers,
    PK
  • AllanMisner
    AllanMisner Posts: 4,140 Member
    Options
    What I've found is this:

It appears the elliptical machines assume you are working at close to your cardio zone (80%). If I'm working at a lower heart rate, my HRM shows less. If I'm working harder and my heart rate is higher, then my HRM shows more. So, in general, it is a close approximation.

But here's the thing. All of this is just estimation (yes, even your HRM is an estimate). My guess is the difference in the two would never be more than 100 calories per hour of work. Even your food intake is likely just a rounded estimate. So, don't sweat the small stuff. Given that a pound lost is approximately 3500 calories, you're talking about 1/35th of a pound. If you're stressing about it, go with the conservative approach and use the lower number for your exercise calories.
  • ImmortalDancer
    Options
    I can't afford a HRM (in all honesty), but it seems like MFP is generous with it's calories burned, so I try to just stick to the number the machine gives me until I can afford a HRM.
  • Italiano7
    Italiano7 Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    go with what the eliptical says. mfp bases it on maximum performance
  • mjkpe
    mjkpe Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    I just ordered a HRM. Can't wait. I have a lower end elliptical, (NordicTrack e7.1), so I'm not sure if pulse/heart rate from grips influences the calorie rate or is it just related to the number of strides and difficulty of the canned excercise program. Elliptical did not ask weight or gender for set up.
  • briannadunn
    briannadunn Posts: 841 Member
    Options
    I just don't count it at all. I adjust my calories to eat back half of what I burn but other than that I just make my own workout and put 6 calories and then the workout and that way it doesn't mess with my calories. :tongue: I just wasn't losing anything eating back my calories.:grumble: Anyway, good luck and go by what the machine says.