getting a number

Options
2»

Replies

• Hartman1986
    Hartman1986 Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    I keep a prepaid cell and give out that number when I don't really want to give out my phone number. Costs me something like $10 a month. I think that there are some cheaper plans but that one works for me. Or you could give him the phone number to the regetion hotline.

Do you really get that many unwanted propositions that it warrents the usage of a prepaid second cell line? Well don't I feel like quite the loser :frown:

Not really. Mostly its corps that I need something from and they require my phone number before they'll do buisness with me. The same setup should work in this case as well.
  • AllanMisner
    AllanMisner Posts: 4,140 Member
    Options
    If you don't want to give him your number, and you're pretty sure you won't see him again, then give him the wrong number. There is a 50/50 chance he won't even call it. But if he does, he'll know it was a blow off. But you won't have to do it to his face.
  • KemahSunshine
    Options
    If there is no obvious attraction or initial curiosity and Im truly not interested.... I wouldnt accept the drink in the first place...

Why lead the poor guy on of its a definate "no" from the beginning?

A simple "Thanks but no thanks" is all thats needed and the bartended gets to deliver the message & drink back to the owner... :wink:
  • JanieJack
    JanieJack Posts: 3,831 Member
    Options
    If you don't want to give him your number, and you're pretty sure you won't see him again, then give him the wrong number. There is a 50/50 chance he won't even call it.

I'd heard that, for most guys, it's not about actually calling the girl it's just the victory of getting her number.
  • flimflamfloz
    flimflamfloz Posts: 1,980 Member
    Options
    If you don't want to give him your number, and you're pretty sure you won't see him again, then give him the wrong number. There is a 50/50 chance he won't even call it.
    I'd heard that, for most guys, it's not about actually calling the girl it's just the victory of getting her number.
    Lol! :laugh:
    We are depicted as animals... I can imagine what you wrote here on the nature channel:
    "For most men, the satisfaction does not come from actually calling the girl... It is just the victory of getting her number."

The problem though is that I normally call the girl immediately after she gave me her number, so that she can get my number too! So no, won't work with me.

And perhaps for really shy men getting the number is something they can brag about so they will be content with that... But really, I think for most men a victory is either kissing or doing naughty things with the girl.
    Number swapping is kinda casual (not that you will want to swap numbers with someone you don't want to see, but if someone is alright-ish most people would happily swap numbers)
  • JanieJack
    JanieJack Posts: 3,831 Member
    Options
    I think for most men a victory is either kissing or doing naughty things with the girl.

Well that too, lol!

I just read these advice columns where that's a frequently recurring question, "why did he ask my number if he's not gonna call." the answer is always some flavor of "he didn't really want to date you, he just wanted to feel good about getting your number"

I promise, I don't hate men :wink:
  • DMZ_1
    DMZ_1 Posts: 2,889 Member
    Options
    Advice columns don't really reflect the real world. Flamfloz is right that the real victories are kissing and doing naughty things.
  • jenbit
    jenbit Posts: 4,289 Member
    Options
    I think for most men a victory is either kissing or doing naughty things with the girl.

Well that too, lol!

I just read these advice columns where that's a frequently recurring question, "why did he ask my number if he's not gonna call." the answer is always some flavor of "he didn't really want to date you, he just wanted to feel good about getting your number"

LOL I read this and then think is it bad that I given my number out to 3 different guys in the last 3 nights lol. 2 out of the 3 have called already lol.
  • AnnaPixie
    AnnaPixie Posts: 7,439 Member
    Options

The problem though is that I normally call the girl immediately after she gave me her number, so that she can get my number too! So no, won't work with me.

^^this. I do the same. I always check back I have the right number by calling/being called. :bigsmile:

If he doesnt call, he's changed his mind. Simples! Any guy that feels victory over getting a number is a complete jerk and I would be very glad he didnt ring anyhow!! :laugh:
  • flimflamfloz
    Options

Well that too, lol!

OK, I've done this last week (asking for a number, and not calling).

Why? I think it's because I wanted to end the conversation with the girl, but on a nice note. Like I literally used the phone as an excuse to extract myself.
    The girl was obviously into me, and I wasn't that much into her - but got dragged into the conversation anyway, so, to end it, I kinda said something along the lines of "Hey, you know what, it'd be great to talk on another occasion, so just give me your number yeah?".
    And then I just felt relieved. So no, I wasn't particularly satisfied because I had a number... (I realise the truth is actually much more complex than that, but that will give you an idea).
  • AnnaPixie
    AnnaPixie Posts: 7,439 Member
    Options

Why? I think it's because I wanted to end the conversation with the girl, but on a nice note. Like I literally used the phone as an excuse to extract myself.
    The girl was obviously into me, and I wasn't that much into her - but got dragged into the conversation anyway, so, to end it, I kinda said something along the lines of "Hey, you know what, it'd be great to talk on another occasion, so just give me your number yeah?".
    And then I just felt relieved. So no, I wasn't particularly satisfied because I had a number... (I realise the truth is actually much more complex than that, but that will give you an idea).

I love the male/female interaction on this forum. I'm learning things about men (and women) that I never knew!!

Very honest of you to reveal this Florian! I will now always give my number out in trepidation that he's only asking for it because he wants to get rid of me!! :laugh: I mean, couldnt you have just said "Oh, look at the time, I must be going......" :wink: :flowerforyou:
  • flimflamfloz
    Options

I love the male/female interaction on this forum. I'm learning things about men (and women) that I never knew!!

Very honest of you to reveal this Florian! I will now always give my number out in trepidation that he's only asking for it because he wants to get rid of me!! :laugh: I mean, couldnt you have just said "Oh, look at the time, I must be going......" :wink: :flowerforyou:
    Well... The thing is it was a long night, I was a bit drunk, and I got "a bit" forward before - so then she took this as an indicator of interest from my part (which is fair enough!). So then she was kind of sticking around me and because of my earlier indicator of interest, she felt I was into her (but I wasn't).

So yeah. On the other hand, she didn't ask for my number when I was trying to move away, so perhaps she "felt" I was looking for an escape (my body language, tone of voice changed perhaps?) or maybe she just made a beginner mistake :wink: .

I guess I could have said what you suggested though... Not very consistent with my earlier behaviour that is all!
  • dbrightwell1270
    dbrightwell1270 Posts: 1,732 Member
    Options
    Why not just be honest with the guy? Tell him you came to the bar because you were having a bad day and getting a drink from him caught you off guard. Tell him you think he's cute but you're not sure you're interested. Then ask him for his phone number.