Oral Allergy Syndrome

MonicaWalls
MonicaWalls Posts: 35 Member
Has anyone else even heard of this horrid affliction? I am, at this point in my life, allergic to all fresh fruits, vegetables and nuts. It is absolutely positively insane!

Replies

• pdworkman
    pdworkman Posts: 1,342 Member
    There are certain foods that are more likely to cause oral allergy symptoms, and others that are not. Do *all* fruits, veggies, and nuts cause symptoms, or just certain ones? Tropical fruits and tree nuts are the worst offender.

Do you have any airborne allergies? Particular pollens tend to cause cross-reactions with certain foods. If you can reduce your exposure to the pollens, you will have fewer food reactions. And vice versa.
  • Hi I too have oral allergy syndrome. I have grass and tree pollen allergy ,hazelnut allergy and penicillin allergy. I have problems with wheat,apples,tomatoes. Wheat gives me digestive problems bloating,smelly gas, apples give me a horrid twisting pain across top of my stomach and tomatoes give me mouth ulcers. Eating is a pain and I'm doing more damage than good at the mo as we are eating a lot of takeaways. I'm fed up of feeling rubbish but eating healthily is hard especially as I have 2 jobs,2kids and a house to look after in my daily life. So any help will be gratefully received.
  • pdworkman
    pdworkman Posts: 1,342 Member
    I'm happy to help out if I can! What do you need?

I follow a fairly simple routine for meals, and only really cook anything involved on Thursday & Sunday. I am eating vegan, grain free, with multiple allergies.

Don't forget that when you "save" time by eating take out, and then you're sick or miserable, you have net loss of time. Most of my weekly meals take only 15-20 minutes to make. You probably spend at least that in driving to get take out and waiting for it to be prepared. And for what? Just to be sick?

Figure out some simple, pantry meals that work for you. Make extra when you are cooking anything major. Always make enough for leftovers for lunches the next day. You can do it if your make your health a priority.
  • pwicke
    pwicke Posts: 29
    I have had it forever and I also have about 20 IgE allergies (legumes, tree nuts, soy, corn, fruits, spices and veggies).

I tend to eat simple. No fruits (plus I have sugar absorption issues). I stick with veggies (cooked), simple carbs that I can eat and protein. I really keep things simple. I use spices.

AS for meals. I tend to make what works for me and the kids (we all have allergies). No dairy either.

fajitas
    turkey meatloaf
    breakfast for dinner (eggs, waffles, pancakes, bacon, omelets)
    steaks
    pasta primavera