Book recs please!

Options
2»

Replies

• DKaye09
    DKaye09 Posts: 109
    Options
    so glad someone remembered His Dark Materials. I totally forgot about that trilogy (possibly because the movie made me repress the whole thing so hard) but it was good.

I liked the farseer books too although at the end of it I kind of felt like "oh....was that it then?"

I haven't read the hunger games yet. I feel so burned by twilight still (yes all these years later) and I was already warned that the worst elements of GIRLDOM (love triangle, teenage wangst) are in there soooooo I don't know if I'll read them at all.

I enjoyed reading Twilight (the first book not the series), but thought the movie franchise was ****eous. The Hunger Games seems to be more promising in movie form than that. I only read the first book (in a day, lol) but am going to read the other 2 as soon as I get my hands on them. Seeing the movie tomorrow.... :fingers crossed:
  • DKaye09
    DKaye09 Posts: 109
    Options
    Another book I think of as a fun read is Summer Sisters. I think I read it once a year...
  • psiren28
    psiren28 Posts: 530 Member
    Options
    Some recent stuff I thought was awesome:

The Strain Trilogy - Guillermo Del Toro & Chuck Hogan (recommended to anyone who doesn't like their vampires pretty and sparkly)

Dark Matter - Michelle Paver

Slaughterhouse Five - Kurt Vonnegut

The Psychopath Test - Jon Ronson

And some all time favourites:

Anything by Christopher Brookmyre, George Orwell, Ben Elton, Irvine Welsh, Christopher Fowler and almost anything by Chuck Palahniuk (couldn't get through 'Pygmy')

Currently reading the first book of the Red Riding Quartet (1974) by David Peace. Very impressed so far
  • HowieTwoPointZero
    HowieTwoPointZero Posts: 494 Member
    Options

I spent two weeks being an armchair psychologist after reading that. I'm still slightly convinced everybody I know, including myself is a psychopath.
  • mixedfeelings
    mixedfeelings Posts: 904 Member
    Options

I spent two weeks being an armchair psychologist after reading that. I'm still slightly convinced everybody I know, including myself is a psychopath.

I've become obsessed with psychopaths, I've just bought a couple of Bob Hare books as well. At least it keeps me busy.
  • mixedfeelings
    mixedfeelings Posts: 904 Member
    Options
    almost anything by Chuck Palahniuk (couldn't get through 'Pygmy')

With Chuck I haven't really enjoyed much since "Snuff", I have Pygmy but I haven't even started it.