No weight loss for awhile....

Options
I'm frusterated beyond frustration. I have lost a total of 11 lbs.......that's it. My body has stopped losing weight. I am exercising, staying under calories, and my carbs have been cut in half, maybe even more. I am so down these days. I feel that I am just destined to look like this forever. Not to add insult to injury, but my hair is thinning. I understand these are all symptoms of PCOS, and that losing weight is the best treatment, but I am NOT losing the weight. It is a viscous, dirty cycle and I am about fed up. I am 28 years old, I have no children, nor can I even have any like this, my hair is thinning, and I can't lose weight......this is driving insane, not to mention putting me in a deep depression. I am going to the doc this Tues. and she will most likely perscribe metformin, but I'm not even sure if that is going to help. If I knew what to do, I would do it, but my body just isn't cooperating. To say I am down in the dumps is the understatement of the century.....I have other cysters that aren't experiencing this "eternal plateau".....

Replies

• purplegoboom
    purplegoboom Posts: 400 Member
    Options
    Do you take any supplements? I've seen a major difference in my symptoms after I added in 4000 mg of cinnamon + chrominum and 800 mg of vitex a day.
  • annatin1018
    Options
    I have chromium sitting in my cabinet, but I am afraid to take it. I don't like starting new meds or even supplements....I'm always afraid of side effects. But yes, I take about a tsp of natural cinnamon a day in my applesauce, but not heard of vitex......hoping to start metformin soon......is chromium okay??
  • purplegoboom
    Options
    Chromium is great for weight loss! I have yet to hear any side effects with this or to experience any. When taken with cinnamon it works wonders.

You might want to try more cinnamon, too. One teaspoon of cinnamon is just under 2 grams, and to really see any effects you want 3 - 5 grams. I take 4000 mg or 4 grams.
  • annatin1018
    Options
    I want to take more cinnamon, but I heard it can be toxic in large amounts, or lower your blood sugar too much.....yes I am a bit of a hypochondriac, lol.
  • purplegoboom
    Options
    I want to take more cinnamon, but I heard it can be toxic in large amounts, or lower your blood sugar too much.....yes I am a bit of a hypochondriac, lol.

Well, I think that's only injesting obscene amounts all at once. You could try 2 grams in the morning and 2 grams in the afternoon. But honestly you'll really only find out through trial and error. No one can tell you for sure that if you take X supplement, Y is going to happen to you. Everyone is different.

I know with the herbal supplement Vitex, some women experience some side effects and it doesn't do anything for them. But for others, like me, it really helps with hormones and regulating cycles. I did my research beforehand and decided to try it. If I let the idea of side effects scare me off I wouldn't be feeling 10 times better right now than I was before.
  • annatin1018
    Options
    Thank you, I appreciate any advice and support I can get, this is going to be a hard road.... :))
  • cressievargo
    cressievargo Posts: 392 Member
    Options
    Take the cinnamon capsules - cinnamon can be toxic if you take a giant spoonful of it - you will choke on it...and water doesn't wash it down.

I have been feeling off all day today...and I haven't been taking my cinnamon...and I really do think that is part of my problem.
  • cyberskirt
    cyberskirt Posts: 218
    Options
    ... whats with the cinnamon?
  • Hanablu2
    Hanablu2 Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    You are not alone, I have been on mfp since January eating 1200-1500 calories and working out 3-6 days a week and have lost nothing. I am taking chromium, b complex. vit d, biotin, calcium, and a multivitamin just to stay energized to get through a workout and the chromium is helping me control carb cravings I notice I'm not having that nagging to eat feeling. I saw the doc today and had lab work done he is going to start me on metformin and re check my thyroid. Hopefully that will help. I will tell you this, even if you don't lose a pound keep exercising doing cardio and weight training because you will re shape and become more dense and tight with you body. Even though I have not lost a pound I have reshaped my body and look a lot better in my clothes and I'm healthier. I was high risk for high blood pressure and at one point on meds the working out reversed that so keep exercising to combat the risk of diseases. Having PCOS put us at risk for diabetes, high blood pressure, cancer, and a number of things. I have also had thinning of hair at the temples the biotin has helped a lot with my hair and its growing nice and thick again.
  • cressievargo
    Options
    ... whats with the cinnamon?

Here's a link to one article:
    http://www.thyroid-info.com/articles/cinnamon.htm

I figured if I gave it a try and it didn't work, I was only out a few bucks...and it wasn't something weird / chemically....or bizarre / unhealthy side effects...and so far it does work for me.
  • cressievargo
    Options
    You are not alone, I have been on mfp since January eating 1200-1500 calories and working out 3-6 days a week and have lost nothing. I am taking chromium, b complex. vit d, biotin, calcium, and a multivitamin just to stay energized to get through a workout and the chromium is helping me control carb cravings I notice I'm not having that nagging to eat feeling. I saw the doc today and had lab work done he is going to start me on metformin and re check my thyroid. Hopefully that will help. I will tell you this, even if you don't lose a pound keep exercising doing cardio and weight training because you will re shape and become more dense and tight with you body. Even though I have not lost a pound I have reshaped my body and look a lot better in my clothes and I'm healthier. I was high risk for high blood pressure and at one point on meds the working out reversed that so keep exercising to combat the risk of diseases. Having PCOS put us at risk for diabetes, high blood pressure, cancer, and a number of things. I have also had thinning of hair at the temples the biotin has helped a lot with my hair and its growing nice and thick again.

Are you eating ENOUGH? You calorie intake is pretty low for working out that much. Plus, if you don't have the energy to get through a workout (and i"m talking tired / lethargic, not out of shape / out of breath)....you are probably not eating enough.
  • crizania
    crizania Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I had no idea about cinnamon I've been looking at going onto Metformin I'm struggling too with weight loss and PCOS ! I'm so going to give cinnamon a go!
  • cressievargo
    Options
    I had a horrible carb day yesterday. Awful.
    Took cinnamon last night...did GREAT today. I didn't even finish my diet coke (working on removing THAT from my diet again!).
  • Mirdir
    Mirdir Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    I peeked at your diary. You're taking in a lot of sodium so you could be retaining water, I know when I am consistently over on my sodium the scale will not budge. I lower it for a few days and BOOM 2-3 pounds gone so it does make a difference.
  • Sheilav330
    Sheilav330 Posts: 57
    Options
    Yes i have that problem i have lost only 8lbs in over a month..and i am taking metformin just once a day though i am on a low dosage. just have to keep on exercise even if you don't loose weight. and lots of water.
  • EJED724
    EJED724 Posts: 13
    Options
    My doctor recommended I take a cinnamon/chromium supplement 4x a day. The only thing I notice is that is makes me constipated cause it soaks up all the fluid (and I drink at least 8 cups a day)! Having PCOS makes losing weight harder, no matter what supplements you are on.
  • jessimom
    jessimom Posts: 29
    Options
    I take Metformin and this seems to have been the key for me, that and even though I do not have diabetes I eat like a diabetic (e.g pair carbs with protein and fat). I work at a hospital and one of my pals is a dietician and they said PCOS Diet = diabetic's diet.
  • NJGmywholewrld
    NJGmywholewrld Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    I peeked at your diary. You're taking in a lot of sodium so you could be retaining water, I know when I am consistently over on my sodium the scale will not budge. I lower it for a few days and BOOM 2-3 pounds gone so it does make a difference.

I have to agree with a lot of the ladies here....Keep exercising!! I too took a peek at your diary as well....Your sodium intake looks as though it may be the culprit. You may notice that after minimizing your sodium intake....the water weight will be off in no time. Hang in there, it will be worth it in the end!!
  • FireSwan
    FireSwan Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    I also feel your pain, but don't get discouraged that the scale doesn't budge. Keep up with the workouts and focus on eating properly. If you are feeling lethargic too often, your calories may be set too low. I upped my calories to about 1750-1800 and I eat back most of my exercise calories. I gained a couple of lbs the first week I did this, but now I'm finally losing about 1/2 to 1lb /week. I'll take that, I was only losing about a pound a month, if that. I also exercis 6-7 days a week 45 min - 1.5 hrs /day. I've also started taking a liquid B12 suppliment and I've noticed that it really helps.

You'll definitely want to watch your B12 levels when you go on Metformin. Metformin has been known to deplete your B12 levels. I hope it works for you, Metformin did not work for me. NIH article: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/17331860?ordinalpos=1&itool=EntrezSystem2.PEntrez.Pubmed.Pubmed_ResultsPanel.Pubmed_DiscoveryPanel.Pubmed_Discovery_RA&linkpos=1&log$=relatedarticles&logdbfrom=pubmed

PCOS is a B*tch to deal with, but focus more on being healthy and less on the scale. You'll feel better in the long run and it IS worth the effort!
  • adbohls
    adbohls Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    I looked at your exercise diary. Sorry, there was not much there. Try changing your exercise routine and add either some weight training or resistance band exercises. For weights, you can use just about anything around the house if you don't have any free weights. The resistance bands are relatively inexpensive and can be found at most exercise equipment suppliers online. You get a huge roll in one box that should last years.

Remember, the importance of weight/resistance training is you are essentially tearing down your muscles when exercising and then rebuilding them when you are at rest. Not only does rebuilding them use a lot of calories, muscles burn more than fat.

Whatever you do, don't give up!!! I did that the last time I tried to lose when I hit a plateau and now I'm right back where I started.