Core Mucles

Options
ymaisred
ymaisred Posts: 15 Member
So, I have had 2 different instuctors tell me to work on my core... um, sure, ok... maybe I should have asked them... HOW?

Does sitting on a ball at your desk really work?

I have friends that are addicted to yoga and they have had great results. The problem with that is all the travel I do, I would never make the classes. I know nothing to do it on my own :(

Sit-ups/push ups?

Thoughts, thow them at me!

Thanks!

Replies

• toystry23
    toystry23 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    How about doing yoga/pilates at home?
  • ridewithless
    ridewithless Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    In Body Pump, we do crunches of all varieties and those god foresaken planks. I think it helps my core, but mostly I am jsut grateful when it's over ; ).
  • onawho
    onawho Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    I LOVE my bender ball, and you can deflate it and travel with it! its a little ball that has a bit of give to it and when you do a sit up with it you place it behind you at the base of your back. I am doing a bad job describing it. Its just awesome !!
  • skylark94
    skylark94 Posts: 2,036 Member
    Options
    Planks and push ups will do wonders for your core and can be done anywhere.
  • RideRidePony
    Options
    Id rather do anything else than core muscle exercises. I must have a really weak core, because situps/crunches/planks (even ones on a swiss ball) make me want to cry lol
    Are there any enjoyable core muscle exercises out in existance??
  • skylark94
    skylark94 Posts: 2,036 Member
    Options
    Are there any enjoyable core muscle exercises out in existance??

None that I have found. :sad:
  • Blugal1
    Blugal1 Posts: 92
    Options
    Rock climbing (the sport kind, either bouldering with mats, or climbing with harnesses and ropes). So fun, and a great total workout - your core will definitely feel it, once you learn not to use your arms for everything!
  • jlyle73
    jlyle73 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Breezing race horses was the toughest, funnest core work out I've ever had. I got to do it for one summer - I would go out on Saturday mornings 4-6 hours and go home and crash - so physically and emotionally exhausted - but I still get goosebumps thinking of the thrill!
    At home planks are the way to go - & all variations on it - mountain climbers, plank-jacks, squat-thrusts & straight leg pike in plank, moguls & toss in some burpees while you're at it - I have definately noticed a big increase in core strength adding these in over the past few months. (if you don't know what they are and want explainations - let me know, I will try:))
  • SophinMaine
    SophinMaine Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    Riding dressage (sitting at all gaits) on contact will definitely work your core!

I find planks hard because if I don't watch myself constantly, my lower back pays the price. I think you're right to not do pilates/yoga on your own if you know nothing about it. You can really hurt yourself and not know it before it's too late. A good instructor will show you the correct positions. Maybe try to go to a few classes to get the basics? I love both yoga and pilates for core, balance, and general toning.

I know of 2 fun core exercises! One is kayaking ( preferably sea kayaking) , and the other is something called Accrobranche. I do that when I go to France, because I haven't seen anything like it here in the US, except maybe the zip lines. In the Accrobranche courses (you have different levels), you are way up in trees, secured to a "life line" with a rock-climbing harness, and you're going from tree to tree via different methods and you pretty much ALWAYS have to use your core (oh, and your arms will get very tired, too!). Think of it as going back to your youth when you were playing Tarzan in trees. It's GREAT fun but very challenging, I've seen many people having to be "rescued" from the trees via ladders etc. You definitely have to be in shape before starting a challenging course!
    This is my favorite "jump" in an accrobranche - the trick is to catch the net at the first try, otherwise you risk ending up hanging and having to be "rescued" (oh the shame! hahaha!) This guy was lucky!
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ro05hlzUBhQ&feature=related