Et tu, My Fitness Pal?

Options
JennedyJLD
JennedyJLD Posts: 123 Member
Mini-vent ahead! All I want to do is to log in and not see Rick Santorum all over MyFitnessPal. He's been my banner ad for the last week. MFP needs to improve its target advertising, that's all I can say!!! :-)

Replies

• MikeSEA
    MikeSEA Posts: 1,074 Member
    Options
    I think we should blame Google Ads for this instead of MFP. I haven't seen him on a banner once. World of Warcraft and Star Wars: The Old Republic, on the other hand, come up frequently for me :)
  • JennedyJLD
    JennedyJLD Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    Glad you've been spared!!! I haven't seen him since I complained, so maybe that solved the issue. I'd take WoW any day over that!
  • Smiler106
    Smiler106 Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    I hate google ads, it's like having a damn cyber stalker.
  • thekarens
    thekarens Posts: 254 Member
    Options
    There's an easy enough way to get rid of those ads. Do a search, there's several options :) I use Chrome, but I use an extension called ad blocker. Though 99% of the time I access this website through my phone app.

But, if I am going to get ads I'd rather they stalk me so they give me ads that are appropriate to my interests.
  • maab_connor
    maab_connor Posts: 3,927 Member
    Options
    i get staples at work and shoes at home. i'm thinking google ads are to blame. *kicks them*
  • BrettPGH
    BrettPGH Posts: 4,720 Member
    Options
    Don't they track us to a degree? Like by saying Santorum aren't you more likely to get political ads? So you may have just made your problem worse.

Ugh, me too. Nothing worse than having santorum all over your page. Blech!
  • Stacera
    Stacera Posts: 347 Member
    Options
    my ad up there was just snickers....... but now it's heels.. =)
  • Smiler106
    Smiler106 Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    Tip: visit Jillian Michaels website and you will get a plague of adverts featuring her hot little body. Doesn't feel so much like a hardship :D
  • KaleidoscopeEyes1056
    KaleidoscopeEyes1056 Posts: 2,996 Member
    Options
    Right now, mine's for some smartphone and Nationwide. Although, on my MSN I got an ad for Newty.
  • wendyapple
    wendyapple Posts: 323 Member
    Options
    my ads are snickers and jamba juice, so i think the target marketing is working pretty well, but honestly, i'd rather see santorum for the gop than romney. i think romney actually stands a chance against barry, as where even the middle of the road conservatives can't stand the extremist beliefs santorum's got.

personally, when i get pissed at him, i just google him. and then i think about how much i wish dan savage would run for prez.
  • serenity920
    serenity920 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    I get Puppy food and Chocolate!!! Yea thats where the disposable income goes so Good targeting BigBrother

(going to Jillian Michaels' site now. That is marketing I will enjoy)
  • tameko2
    tameko2 Posts: 31,634 Member
    Options
    yeah its google ads. Thanks to Dan Savage I can't see see the phrase "Rick Santorum" at all without thinking of something quite different from what the ad wants me to think about.

I think google ads are hilarious AND creepy. Like, if I JUST visited a site, I really don't need to see a google ad of it. I mean yes, you have identified things that fit my taste but I was JUST. THERE.
  • treetop57
    treetop57 Posts: 1,578 Member
    Options
    I don't see see the ads, except for the banana "5 foods you should never one." I don't know why that one always grabs my attention. (I've been to the website for that ad and for the life of me can't find the 5 foods. Not that I'd believe them anyway. My husband pointed out to me that I often get "Lightscribe" pen ads, presumably because I helped my mother download some paper for her Lightscribe. I hadn't noticed because I don't see the ads.

That said, I think I would have noticed Santorum on my screen though. I wonder if there is some geographic basis. Our primary isn't until June, so I can't believe that any Republican wants to waste money advertising to Californians already.
  • PixelTreason
    PixelTreason Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    Adblock plus is lovely. :)
  • tameko2
    tameko2 Posts: 31,634 Member
    Options
    I don't see see the ads, except for the banana "5 foods you should never one." I don't know why that one always grabs my attention. (I've been to the website for that ad and for the life of me can't find the 5 foods. Not that I'd believe them anyway. My husband pointed out to me that I often get "Lightscribe" pen ads, presumably because I helped my mother download some paper for her Lightscribe. I hadn't noticed because I don't see the ads.

That said, I think I would have noticed Santorum on my screen though. I wonder if there is some geographic basis. Our primary isn't until June, so I can't believe that any Republican is wants to waste money advertising to Californians already.

I actually kind of forgot about california's primary because I don't think it matters much by the time anyone gets to us. Plus california's main election always goes to D so no one really cares what the outcome of our primary is.
    But I suppose we will see what we get. We don't watch TV so I miss a lot of political ads but this republican primary has been hilarious (and terrifying) thus far.