5K's???

Options
mgraue82
mgraue82 Posts: 168 Member
Since the weather is absolutely gorgeous lately, I was wondering if anyone has started training for 5K's? I say "started training" because I'm trying to be a runner and have only ran one 5K in my life with no training, which wasn't an awesome idea :noway: Just seeing what types of plans people are using or any tips for a new runner?

Replies

• cantobean
    cantobean Posts: 287 Member
    Options
    I did the couch to 5k plan last fall, and now I run a 5k distance about once or twice a week. I'm doing a 5k on april 1st that's in the metrodome...signed up for it back when I thought we might have bad weather on april1!

I'm also signed up for the color run in july. Would love to throw another race in the mix, maybe an 8k or a 10k...
  • mgraue82
    Options
    I printed off a C25K plan actually so we shall see if I can give that a go. What's the 5k at the dome? Is it for something special? Sounds interesting. I know I want to do the 5k from my hometown as well as the Jesse James Days 5k where I live now... I just know I'll love it once I get going at the running. Having ME TIME is essential right now in a house full of boys. Thanks for the info ;)
  • alimarieban
    alimarieban Posts: 141
    Options
    Since the weather is absolutely gorgeous lately, I was wondering if anyone has started training for 5K's? I say "started training" because I'm trying to be a runner and have only ran one 5K in my life with no training, which wasn't an awesome idea :noway: Just seeing what types of plans people are using or any tips for a new runner?

I ran the distance 2 summers ago, but never an actual race. I was too nervous! Then I had IT band issues and had to give it a rest for ahwile. Anyway (sorry I digress) I used Robert Ullrey's C25K and it was fantastic. It took me from not being able to run AT ALL to running the 5K distance. I might sign up for a race this fall... Just hoping I don't have any more issues with my leg.

Good luck to you! :-)
  • cantobean
    cantobean Posts: 287 Member
    Options
    I printed off a C25K plan actually so we shall see if I can give that a go. What's the 5k at the dome? Is it for something special? Sounds interesting. I know I want to do the 5k from my hometown as well as the Jesse James Days 5k where I live now... I just know I'll love it once I get going at the running. Having ME TIME is essential right now in a house full of boys. Thanks for the info ;)

I definitely recommend C25K. Transformed me from a non-runner to a runner within 9 weeks!

The race at the dome is for some organization that works to stop and prevent genocides. I'm all for the cause but frankly I just signed up because I'm itching to race, and an indoor one sounded like a good idea!
  • Chagama
    Chagama Posts: 543 Member
    Options
    The last weekend in April is the Get in Gear races, 5k, 10k, and half marathon. It's a big event with all the different distances and a lot of fun. Something for everyone.
  • Apryl546
    Apryl546 Posts: 909 Member
    Options
    I plan on starting the C25k plan very soon. I have a 5k I signed up for at the end of June coming up. LOL
  • mgraue82
    Options
    Do you guys run daily or every other day or a couple times a week or how do you get in your running? I know that once you get into it, it becomes part of your life and it's something you crave, but I haven't even gotten to the point of being able to run for a couple minutes straight without pretty much keeling over.... Maybe what I need to do is just sign up for a 5k and just plain old START....
  • Chagama
    Chagama Posts: 543 Member
    Options
    I run three times a week in general. To get started, search for one of the many Couch to 5K plans. They start with mostly walking and just a little bit of running and gradually shift the ratio to more and more running and less walking until it's all running, then it builds up the distances. It's a great way to get started and know that your aren't pushing too hard where you might hurt yourself.
  • rachemn
    rachemn Posts: 407 Member
    Options
    I've heard great things about the C25K program. I've only done one 10k before and I did it as a walker, however I signed up for the Fitger's 5k next month and the William A Irving 5k before Grandma's Marathon. '

Just started training. I train about every other day and make sure that I go 3.1 miles. I can run a mile straight if I really push myself, but I walk about half the way right now. It takes me 38 minutes. I'm hoping to cut 5 mins off my time before the Fitger's race.

I'm not a runner either, but I'm trying! :bigsmile:
  • Tippytoesk8er
    Options
    Do you guys run daily or every other day or a couple times a week or how do you get in your running? I know that once you get into it, it becomes part of your life and it's something you crave, but I haven't even gotten to the point of being able to run for a couple minutes straight without pretty much keeling over.... Maybe what I need to do is just sign up for a 5k and just plain old START....

Motivation is different for everybody. I've been a runner off and on for about 15 years, and I say 'off and on' because despite how consistent my training has been, I never found that point of craving a run and I so easily turn back into a couch potato. The thing that works best for me is running with other people, and I'm enjoying my longest interval of regular running (going on 3 years now) because one day I took a chance and joined a running group on Meetup.com.

There's also a thread here on the Minnesota group that may become useful for finding running buddies. I think the title of the thread is, "Running Buddies." That includes those who want to walk/run, in my opinion. :smile: