Pain with PCOS?

Options
Heather0611
Heather0611 Posts: 58 Member
Hi Everyone,

I was just diagnosed with PCOS last month and am still trying to take everything in. I'm currently on 500mg Metformin (doc wants me to up gradually over the next few weeks) and Femcon FE birth control. I was diagnosed because I had very bad lower abdominal pain and my gyno said to come in for an ultra sound. Does anyone else have very bad pain before and during their period? It's a stiffening kind of pain, hurts to bend too much, but gradually gets better throughout the day. She told me it could be the cysts getting large because of the period hormones, but she also mentioned endometriosis, but didn't want to check for that yet. Just wondering what other people's symptomes are, thanks!

Replies

• brittlynn07
    brittlynn07 Posts: 386 Member
    Options
    Lately I've had bad lower abdominal pain. I am currently taking Ocella birth control pill but should be getting on a new one after next week. I was previously on Loestrin FE and I didn't hurt near as bad. Hopefully it's just the cysts getting large and not endometriosis.
  • tnorth82
    tnorth82 Posts: 186
    Options
    I have a pain to one side, around mid cycle. On and off stabbing sort of aches for around 2 days.
    When I had my ultrasound this was the side with the most cysts, I was told this is a swelling of the cyst with the hormone cycle.
  • xASHYxSMASHYx
    xASHYxSMASHYx Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    I have such bad pain before my period and during the first couple days that not even painkillers help. I get it in my lower back, and my whole body gets stiff in the joints. I also tend to get sick a lot when I have my period, I get colds, sore throats, flu, etc during that time. Apparently your immunity is reduced during that time I was told.
  • trojan1975
    trojan1975 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    hello I get pain lower right side of my pelvic and lower lumber. I have also had a couple of cysits pop which is very painful. I have been diagnosed with PCOS for 14 years or so. I take metaformin and try and stick to a low GI diet !!!

Also I am the mum of two little boys after being told i might not have children so there is always hope.
  • Sheilav330
    Sheilav330 Posts: 57
    Options
    Yes i do get that pain...but on my left side..sometimes 2 weeks after my period pain is so bad that i can't bend down or move for about a minute..it shoots all the way to the back so i know how u feel..also very painful when period comes around and now my periods have been lasting about 2 days. i can't complain though least im still getting a period is just that i don't know when i ovulate hard to tell.
  • AloveYourself
    Options
    HI,
    i use wild yam cream- u can pick it up at any natural health food store..
    i put it on when i am ovulating until i get my period- hands- feet- neck- face- chest every day.
    i find my cramps are not as bad, i used to be doubled over in pain, and not even able to get out of bed on some days.
    also- i force myself out of bed, and walk, and moderate exercise, and i find that it eases some of the tension and cramps away.
  • adbohls
    adbohls Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    I have not just pain, but also sciatica when mine acts up. My whole abdomen hurts so bad I can't even move and then it hurts down my leg into my knees and down to my toes. It puts me in bed and no amount of medication helps at that point. And believe me, I have tried them all. I tried birth control pills but all they did was give me migraines on top of not helping with the menstrual pain. I even was on depo provera shots. They really worked, but that also started my weight gain and turned me into SATAN!!. My whole family despised me when I was on the medication and were actually scared I would physical harm them. My husband almost left me. Almost losing my family was not worth the relief from the pain. I suffered for over 20 years before a doctor finally admitted that PCOS is what I had. I went through two exploratory surgeries and a tubal ligation only to be told that yes, I have a cyst, but it's not big enough to cause the pain I was experiencing. However, they did not offer an alternate explanation either.

Every month, I would have one week of excrutiating pain that put in bed for 2-3 days. As I got older, the week of feeling bad turned into weeks. The only good week of my month was the week after menstruation. Since I was regular every 28 days, I usually only had 6-7 good days a month. The rest were spent feeling the pain gradually growing by the day until it peaked during ovulation and then completely subsided about a week after that for my good week. It's no wonder I have over 100 lbs to lose.

Finally at age 44, I was able to convince my gyne to take out my reproductive organs. I guess he figured at that point I was definitely not having any more children. My youngest was a teenager and I had my first three grandkids. I begged him to take it all, but he insisted on leaving the left ovary. I am doing much better now. I still have a few bad days every couple of months, but I can handle that for now.

Also, if your doctor tells you the PCOS is because you are overweight, don't believe him/her. My trouble started in my 20's when I weighed only 130 lbs. Say its a bunch of bull.
  • kathrynangelabaird
    Options
    Hi there,

I get really bad hip pains and stomach cramps also mainly about a week before any bleeding.
    I'm going to see the gyno on 26th June to hopefully find out about the hip pain.

I currently don't take anything for my PCOS as it actually messes up my body more to take medicine than when I don't (stupid English NHS!!) so I'm trying to eat healthy and get the weight off to help it.

You'll find ways to cope with it. I find hot baths a massive help!
  • krisrpaz
    krisrpaz Posts: 266 Member
    Options
    Yes!! My pain got worse the more weight I lost so my gyno thinks I have PCOS and Endo. I had Mirena put in and the first two months sucked. I was in constant pain and bleeding. I finally just had my first "normal" period. It was hardly any blood, NO cramps and only 4 days. Wooooooooo!