Low Carb or Low Glycemic Index?

Options
How many of you are following a low carb diet? How about low glycemic index or low glycemic load? Has this worked for you and helped your PCOS symptoms? Is anyone just starting to follow either of these and in need of advice?

Replies

• brittlynn07
    brittlynn07 Posts: 386 Member
    Options
    I'm looking to start one of them but I have no idea which one to try. Any suggestions and advice would be very helpful. For some reason my doctor has never suggested these to me and I am just now learning about them.
  • sarahp840
    sarahp840 Posts: 11
    Options
    I'm doing a modified Atkins'. My dinners (meat and veggie) come from the Atkins' Quick & Easy New Diet Cookbook. I have cut out bread and pasta though I do occasionally have a vitatop muffin. For breakfast I have fruit and herbal tea sweetened with Truvia. For lunch I have cheese and deli meat. My dinner is Atkins and my snack is either fruit or a wholey guacamole snack pack. I stay full most of the time. Before I started this I weighed 220 now I'm 210 and its only been 2 weeks. (Haven't updated my tracker cause I only joined on Sunday and want to update it once a week.)
  • sarita66
    sarita66 Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    I have tried several times over the low carb diets and have lost some weight but I find the weight eventually creeps back on. I also find I am very moody and tired on the low carb diets. I have been reading the Carb Lover's diet and have decided to give it a try. This is my first week and I have to say that it seems very satisfying and I am not craving sugary junk food. Has anyone else tried this? I was very skeptical but since following the MFP calorie tracker and the suggestions in the book I am finding this to be a much more reasonable diet to stay on.
  • sarahp840
    sarahp840 Posts: 11
    Options
    I tried the Carb Lover's but I ended up gaining weight on it.
  • sgundi
    sgundi Posts: 1
    Options
    I started with low carb on March 1st and it is the first time that I have lost weight in forever! I did not change my exercise plan...just the carbs!
  • soontobesexyone
    Options
    I'm like the rest of you I tried several of the many diet out there with no success. HOWEVER what has recently worked for me and I have lost 53 pounds since December

First... low carbs, ...remember carbs are not our friends. I followed the Insulin Resistance Diet book, and it says that if your carbs are more than double your protein it doesn't go in your mouth, also if they are over 30 for any given meal then you don't it as well. ie: protein is 5 then carbs must be no more than 10. less is fine. any carbs over 30 never ever gets eaten....except fresh fruits and veggies. Just read your labels. You will be surprised and just you should not be eating. It doesn't matter what form the carb takes, our bodies, don't really process it very well. Remember white foods, flour, pastas, sugar, milk, etc generally are not something you will want to be eating.

Second - Protein most of us are probably not eating the right kinds of protein, or enough of it. track it and add where necessary. If your eating enough protein your not going to crave the carbs. there are some protein bars that are not too bad that we can eat.
    And the 4 grams of protein in a snickers bar ready does not count!

Third - and this is the one thing I can't stress enough exercise...I HATE it. It SUCKS. But the fact remains that without the exercise the weight isn't going to come off. And I found that the 20 mins a day thing isn't going to work. You need to do some serious cardio for at least 1 hour every single day. You can mix up, swimming, bike, walking, jogging, whatever, but the fact remains that the 20 mins isn't going to do anything for those of us with this condition. I have a trainer that does a BOOT CAMP that mixes strength training and a bit of cardio together, which helps. Which when your dropping pounds your going to need. Some gyms offer these, so ask. If you honestly have no clue what to do spend the money and hire someone that does. Why waste your time, effort, energy, and all that frustration, only to not get where you want to get where you want to go. You can find very reasonable trainers if you look. A trainer will design a program for you around any and all health issues/limitations you maybe dealing with.

Some other things that I have found that have really made a major difference for me as well

No soda - that mean no diet either....the sugar, coloring's, etc are all bad for you no matter what you may think. Caffeine dehydrates you, so this goes for most teas and coffee as well. Water is of coarse preferred - but you knew that!

Energy Drinks - these are basically loaded with caffeine and again they give you a quick joint, but again they dehydrate you, which means you need to drink even more water than you already are. Our bodies are already stressed, why add more issues into the mix.

There was a study that found that at least 40% of all woman with PCOS suffer from depression....gee!!! what genius figured that one out right! lol Anyway, exercise does help boost mood. So does getting 8 hours of sleep a night. So make sure your getting a full nights rest. Your body does need its time to recover from whatever your doing. Be sure to take your vitamins, Fish Oil of coarse helps with mood too, See your doctor they can also give you something more if needed.

On the subject of Meds - some of us maybe on Metformen. If your not, great! If you are - thats ok too. My doctor recommended it for me to help with my weight loss. My blood sugar numbers are fine, and I am not trying to get preggers. She started me at 500, no difference - then 1000, still no difference - then at 1500 it started to help with my weight loss. It wasn't the only thing, but it helps. Of coarse I have to watch what I eat (especially carbs). But it was one more piece of the puzzle to finally getting things moving for me.

I am sure I am forgetting a bunch of stuff...but I hope this helps!
  • kymme80
    Options
    A few years ago I did the south beach or well a modified verson of it and I lost 22lbs and 1 pant size. I didn't know I had PCOS but normal diet and exercising wasn't working so I gave up. A friend and I were working out for about 1.5 hr a day 6 days a week. She was eating whatever she wanted and losing like crazy and I watched my diet and lost a pound here and there. Thats when I did the modified SB. However, I got bored with the same foods so I quit. Now I'm starting from all over again. I heard about the Paleo and was wondering if anyone has had any luck with it?