knees

Options
stephaneb74
stephaneb74 Posts: 151 Member
Yes it is not uncommon to have bad knees. Mine are supporting me, but they cannot take any abuse and running is out of the question for now.

I heard swimming is good, I heard bicycle is good as it takes the weigh off the knee while exercising. But there is no pool around here and seriously who goes on a bike when weighing 300+ lbs ?

Any other idea to relieve the pain from the knees (or ankles) while exercising ?

Replies

• SteveB1965
    Options
    Rowing machine maybe?
  • downsizinghoss
    downsizinghoss Posts: 1,035 Member
    Options
    I use the elliptical. It is my *****. It just depends on the state of your knee.
    To be honest, I don't like it. I really want to do other stuff.
    It is the only way I can burn that kind of calorie total and still walk the next day.
  • boggsmeister
    boggsmeister Posts: 292 Member
    Options
    You can ride a bike at 300 pounds, I do it. Just gotta swallow your pride the way your butt cheeks swallow the seat. :)
  • Mijo88
    Mijo88 Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    I use the eliptical as well as Hoss. I enjoy it though. My sister is over weight as well and is in need of knee surgery and she uses the eliptical too.
  • stephaneb74
    stephaneb74 Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    yeah I can use the elliptical too I just burn more calories walking at fast pace.... oh well I try to alternated anyway...

The bikes at the gym I am are crappy and not stable enough to my taste.... and Man, I have lost my pride the day I stepped into that gym so I am not too worry about that...

And I like your analogy about the bike seat.... maybe a little too graphic for early morning lol
  • TDGee
    TDGee Posts: 2,209 Member
    Options
    I heard swimming is good, I heard bicycle is good as it takes the weigh off the knee while exercising. But there is no pool around here and seriously who goes on a bike when weighing 300+ lbs ?

Cycling did it for me. I started out at over 350lbs, struggling to get through 10 minutes on the recumbent stationary bike at the gym, progressed to the tractor seat on a bike that was purchased for a 12 year old boy and did the bulk of my riding on it. I'm below 260 now (my ticker doesn't accurately show my total loss). I eventually graduated to a regular seat last year, and just recently bought a bike that actually fits me. Incidentally, my new bike is rated at 300lbs. I'm sure it wouldn't break if I was over that though. I will never go back to that though. My knees don't hurt nearly as bad now. I am living proof that it works.
    Just get on your bike and ride.
  • downsizinghoss
    Options
    I am going to try working in a bike more this summer.

This is a great motivational read for anyone interested in losing it on two wheels.

http://www.fatcyclist.com/2012/02/22/the-physical-side-of-before-during-and-after-of-obesity-guest-post-2-from-gaz/
  • liveonlocation
    liveonlocation Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    I have always preferred biking type exercise. I have had a mountain bike for the last 4 years. I didnt use it much last year, but the previous years I did @440lbs. You can tell some of the parts on the bike are under stress (pedals, cranks, rims, etc) the frame is good. When I bought it, I went to a bike shop and asked for something that hardcore guys would typically jump and really trail ride with. That way I was sure that it could handle a big fatso on it riding slowly on flat pavement. I can't wait to crack it out this weekend and throw a tune up on it. Oh yeah, I put a larger saddle and cushier grips on it. On a mtn bike you are leaning on the grips almost as much as your *kitten*.

When at the gym, I find that the recumbent is the way to go. The last time I was at the gym for regular workouts, I started spinning. Spin bikes are as strong as they get! The first 8 times, I HATED IT! My *kitten* would fall asleep, my crotch was numb, I was cutting off circulation to parts unknown. BUT, it got better and more enjoyable. I found that when I started out, I had to be out of the seat more, which made it harder but more comfortable, and it whipped you into "standing pedaling" way faster.

I find on the treadmills, my weight is too much for the tread and motor sometimes, if I step to hard, I can stop the track for a second. So I prefer the bikes..
  • cbeutler
    cbeutler Posts: 667 Member
    Options
    I walk a lot and strength train. If I overdo it ice for 20 min wait 20 repeat.
  • downsizinghoss
    Options
    You can ride a bike at 300 pounds, I do it. Just gotta swallow your pride the way your butt cheeks swallow the seat. :)

LOL I would have no pride left!
  • cbeutler
    cbeutler Posts: 667 Member
    Options
    The way I figure it, being fat and exercising and cleaning up your diet is much better than not doing it because we are embarrassed to go to a gym, ride a bike, walk in the park, shop for healthy food.

I sure wasn't too embarrassed to eat all those pizzas and pan cakes over the years.

That's exactly what I'd tell anyone who gave me grief about being out exercising. I'd say "Why are you hassling me for trying to get better, I could be home right now ordering pizza." actually that is what I'd think I'd say "go F yourself" but that's just me.

It doesn't matter how you got where you are now, what matters is what you eat, how you move, what you make of your life from here on out.

By the way Pride has 0 calories, eat all you want. After all you are what you eat.

Nobody here should be embarrassed of who or what you are. I'm proud to call you all my friends.

Love, Craig
  • scloyd
    scloyd Posts: 327 Member
    Options

It doesn't matter how you got where you are now, what matters is what you eat, how you move, what you make of your life from here on out.

By the way Pride has 0 calories, eat all you want. After all you are what you eat.

Nice post Craig.
  • HowieTwoPointZero
    HowieTwoPointZero Posts: 494 Member
    Options
    Yeah I really screwed up my knee was I was a teen. I just went for my second walk and it's twinging a bit but I'm going to man up and take the pain till it really hurts. The biking article was impressive as hell. I've been saying that once I get down to 300 I'm going to get one, but I might do it by 350, which hopefully will be just as its getting brutally hot here in Florida.
  • LouisAA1978
    LouisAA1978 Posts: 275
    Options
    i shattered my knee and leg on july 09 and when i left physical therapy at 360 pounds i got a bike and have put hundreds of miles on it its great for the knees my dr says but yeah at over 300 i get weird looks and some stupid people yell out comments but who cares i do it for me not them
  • HowieTwoPointZero
    HowieTwoPointZero Posts: 494 Member
    Options
    Guys, I'm at 380. What do you recommend bike wise thats not going to cost me a grand or more.
  • LouisAA1978
    LouisAA1978 Posts: 275
    Options
    i bought a Schwinn Aluminum Comp 26" Men's All-Terrain Bike from walmart for under 200 i was riding it at 360 had no problems but i do pump the tires up to max air pressure after several hundred miles on it not one problem with it
  • HansTied
    HansTied Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    Even if I do leg lifts while sitting in my recliner....the next day I can hardly walk. I still want to try the swimming pool when I get the chance.

Hoss, you are right.....getting old sucks.
  • JohnBiggs
    Options
    I have two damaged knees, the wife uses the Treadmill (I cant use it to much pounding on the knees) BUT the eliptical cross trainer actually doesnt hurt them .....try one at a gym shop first as they are a bit awkward to use at first! good luck
  • pearsy67
    pearsy67 Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    Many years of overweight rugby and a smashed knee two years ago left me with crap knees. My preferred exercise is outdoor cycling, the scenery changes, the sweat dries and those other people that usually annoy you at the gym aren't around long ( they are faster or slower than you).

My recommendations are try cycling, it is very satisfying to work hard and get your heart rate up for 30-60 minutes and watch your average speed increase. At the gym, go for the elliptical trainer or recumbent bike. And definitely get a a good play list with some big beat 80's rock songs, just don't sing out loud, people look at you funny (trust me).

My first ride on my bike was only about 30 min at 18km/h (11mph) , and you can stop pedalling when you are tired :-) I am now able to go for 90 minutes at 25km/h (16mph) average. I will never admit that I enjoy it, but it is satisfying to see improvements.
    Cheers
  • leodru
    leodru Posts: 321 Member
    Options
    I started interval training at my gym. It is a class there and is attended mostly by men because of the high amount of strenght training in it. The concept is to allign 7 regular exercises (example squats, planks (vary side or regular), pushups, medicine ball through, chins ups, box jump, exercise bike or treadmill, jumping jacks, etc) into a set. You do each exercise for 60 seconds and have a 10 second break in between. Obviously it takes a bit of prep but there are lots of the sets available online to get you started and they are all basic exercises. at the end of the circuit you get a 2 minute break then you go again. In total you do 3 sets of the 7 exercise circuit. At the end of it you you'll be breathless and the sweat will be dripping off you. You can easily tailor it to not be high impact on your feet or legs. I have bad feet and shin splints and do this routine 3 times a week and have for 7 months. I get comments these days on how i look like i work out. It doesnt have to be complicated. Mens Health magazine has a lot of circuit exercises available. if you need ideas i'm always willing to help. Admittedly i dont need to lose a lot of weight (trying to get off the last 15) but my health and fitness has come a long way this year. Add me and i'll see if i can help!

Leo