Favorite outdoor running spots?

Options
I love running all different places. I use mapmyrun.com to plan my route before I head out so I know how many miles I'll be clocking. Then all I need to do is keep my pace up and watch the scenery.

Some of my favorite running spots in West Michigan:
DOWNTOWN: There is a 2 mile loop from the sixth street bridge to the Blue Bridge that you can run down by the river on both sides. Its extremely relaxing and a fantastic view. Plus you can watch ducks, fisherman, the rapids, people, the buildings and the river all while running on various surfaces and some steps.
WOLVERINE Y: 4 times around the outdoor track is 3 miles. This track also has various surfaces, from loose gravel, to dirt in the wooded section, a wooden bridge, and paved sidewalk. Its a nice loop for variable scenery.
WHITE PINE TRAIL: I have my hubs drop me off at the Belmont Road entrance and him and the kids drive to Rockford and play at the Garden Club Park by Arnies, where I end my run. This is just barely 4 miles, but a good run in mostly shade. Flat with glimpses of the river and LOTS of chipmunks and squirrels to keep you entertained. Side note: bring the bug spray!
NORTHVIEW/COIT loop: This is a KILLER loop. Its 4.7 miles. You start at Northview Highlands Middle School, take the service drive to Hunsberger, Hunsberger to Coit, Coit around to Woodworth, Woodworth to Ambrose and back to the school. There is no shade on Coit and all loose sand on the side of the road. The hills are KILLER, especially the last hill on Ambrose. (If you do the loop backwards, Hunsberger is uphill all the way to the school). But if you want to push yourself for race training - this is the course to do!
Can't wait to hear your favorite places to run and try some of them in the future. Drop me a note if you run any of these and what you thought of them!

Replies

• mmarcy7
    mmarcy7 Posts: 227 Member
    Options
    I live in Walker, right by a bike trail that starts on Remembrance and goes, well I guess I don't know how far it goes, I usually just go 2-3 miles and turn around and come back. It has some killer hills once you get south of Lake Mich Dr though. Or I just run on the paths behind the Walker Ice & Fitness Center. I'll have to try some of your recs sometime though.
  • GypsyWillow22
    GypsyWillow22 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    I will start running on the Allendale GV campus in September. I will have to try the White Pine Trail!